Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: bennydorano on August 17, 2017, 12:19:13 PM
Wonder what the early PPV figures are like. The stench of farce is getting stronger imo.

Those figures would be interesting.

Expect a few more stunts this week to drum up a bit more business. Though the 2 boys are probably in dress rehearsals most of the week.

Where the viewers come from will also be interesting. A big turnout from UK and RoI could see showtime pick up on Mrs Brown's Boys. Would be good to see another Irish entrepreneur milk the demand for inanity

gallsman

Numbers will be interesting. They're struggling to sell out all the tickets apparently and have started dropping some of the prices. It'll still sell out but might not beat the May-Pac gate.

Same for the PPV, early predictions had people saying it would break 6 million. I'm not sure it has a hope of doing that. Current record is May-Pac with 4.6m.

yellowcard

If it was on free to air to TV at a decent hour I'd watch it but I have absolutely no interest in sitting up into the early hours of the morning to watch it and I have even less interest in paying to watch this farce.

Captain Scarlet

I haven´t gone through all this thread but I will nail my colors to the mast in terms of not being a major UFC fan, and a lapsed boxing fan.
The thing that I see mostly from purists is that the UFC is a serious threat to boxing and the accusations of it being WWE style hype is unfair considering some of the absolute stunts and crap boxing gets up to these days.
Surely McGregor can´t win, but if he does the fact that this event will give one of the best boxers of his generation one of his biggest pay day´s should be taken on board by the boxing powers that be.
Boxing is a bad state and they need to get their own shite together before they go sneering at UFC. Ironically if they took a leaf from UFC book´s and had one organisation and one belt at each weight it would bring back a lot of the glory, instead of putting so much filler on undercards.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

JimStynes

Plenty of good fights coming up over the next while in boxing. I would say the UFC will have a rival organisation in the future. The money they pay their fighters is shite compared to what the fellas get in boxing.

gallsman

The UFC is a private, for-profit organisation that is headed up by an absolute shower of gangsters who want all the riches that come with mainstream popularity but still want to cling onto the elements of the whole thing that have made them their riches in the first place - no Ali act, screwing over fighters on pay, expenses, insurance etc. It has an effective monopoly over all the best talent in the MMA world, one or two Bellator fights here and there. They have the ability to make the best matchups precisely because of how much they f**k over the fighters. They're also starting to have bullshit belts to help them sell PPVs.

Boxing is doing grand at the minute, some absolutely cracking fighter being made up and down the weight classes.

Captain Scarlet

Is your man Al Haymon pretty much trying to tie boxing up a bit to have an overall view of what goes on, or to be more precise what he says goes.
To be honest I don't know much about the man, but he seems to be have been puppetmaster for a long time. Is that going down the UFC route in terms of control.
Eventually the UFC will get a breakaway. Jose Aldo was always very outspoken and it was mentioned he might lead a breakaway.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on August 19, 2017, 08:11:54 PM
Is your man Al Haymon pretty much trying to tie boxing up a bit to have an overall view of what goes on, or to be more precise what he says goes.
To be honest I don't know much about the man, but he seems to be have been puppetmaster for a long time. Is that going down the UFC route in terms of control.
Eventually the UFC will get a breakaway. Jose Aldo was always very outspoken and it was mentioned he might lead a breakaway.

Strikeforce in the past, Bellator now. Like hell is Aldo a big enough star to lead something. If Jon Jones and Conor McGregor decided to break away then you might have something.

Hound

Quote from: JimStynes on August 19, 2017, 05:25:27 PM
Plenty of good fights coming up over the next while in boxing. I would say the UFC will have a rival organisation in the future. The money they pay their fighters is shite compared to what the fellas get in boxing.
Maybe there is plenty of good fights coming up, but one thing for sure there's a helluva lot more utter dross coming up.

Gervonta Davis, one of the best young "world" champions is defending his belt on Saturday. and as very common, even though this is a world title defence, they've been able to hand pick an opponent who has no hope. Davis is 1/50 in a 2 horse race, in a world title bout!!!!
The last 4 lads who the Costa Rican no-hoper fought had the following Win-Loss records: 17-8, 6-16, 22-8, 10-20
Give that guy a title shot!! FFS

And anyone who knows boxing knows this type of farce is happening all the time.

nrico2006

Quote from: Hound on August 22, 2017, 12:38:59 PM
Maybe there is plenty of good fights coming up, but one thing for sure there's a helluva lot more utter dross coming up.

Gervonta Davis, one of the best young "world" champions is defending his belt on Saturday. and as very common, even though this is a world title defence, they've been able to hand pick an opponent who has no hope. Davis is 1/50 in a 2 horse race, in a world title bout!!!!
The last 4 lads who the Costa Rican no-hoper fought had the following Win-Loss records: 17-8, 6-16, 22-8, 10-20

Exactly, you only have to look at Wilders last x amount of opponents.  Or even Joshua fighting Pulev.  Frampton fighting Guitierrez.  Lots of crap fights where the best don't fight the best.  Sure Frampton ducked Rigondeaux for years (so has everyone else).  Sure isn't Crawford only the first undisputed champion in 11 years across all weights?

If you even look at the official rankings across the 4 main bodies it gives you an idea of how bad/useless they are.  Off hand, Callum Smith number 1 ranked WBC contender and isn't even in the other 3 organisations top 20s at SM.  The WBC don't have Kovalev in top 20 LHs.  Loads of other examples.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 22, 2017, 01:13:47 PM

Exactly, you only have to look at Wilders last x amount of opponents.  Or even Joshua fighting Pulev.  Frampton fighting Guitierrez.  Lots of crap fights where the best don't fight the best.  Sure Frampton ducked Rigondeaux for years (so has everyone else).  Sure isn't Crawford only the first undisputeed champion in 11 years across all weights?

If you even look at the official rankings across the 4 main bodies it gives you an idea of how bad/useless they are.  Off hand, Callum Smith number 1 ranked WBC contender and isn't even in the other 3 organisations top 20s at SM.  The WBC don't have Kovalev in top 20 LHs.  Loads of other examples.

I agree with all of this but I genuinely think boxing has woken up to this and is beginning to realise that it has to make the best fight each other more often as it is losing its appeal in a modern world with so many alternatives for people. Off the top of my head, in recent months and in the months to come we have or had Joshua v Klitchko, Frampton v Santa Cruz x 2, Ward v Kovalev x 2, Canelo v GGG, De Gale v Jack (unification bout), Rigo v Lomachenko (hopefully) and the development of the Super 8 competition at two weight groups. There's a long way to go to sort out the pathetic undercards but I think we are seeing a bit of a shift in boxing at the minute. Hopefully it will continue.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 22, 2017, 01:35:40 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 22, 2017, 01:13:47 PM

Exactly, you only have to look at Wilders last x amount of opponents.  Or even Joshua fighting Pulev.  Frampton fighting Guitierrez.  Lots of crap fights where the best don't fight the best.  Sure Frampton ducked Rigondeaux for years (so has everyone else).  Sure isn't Crawford only the first undisputeed champion in 11 years across all weights?

I agree with all of this but I genuinely think boxing has woken up to this and is beginning to realise that it has to make the best fight each other more often as it is losing its appeal in a modern world with so many alternatives for people. Off the top of my head, in recent months and in the months to come we have or had Joshua v Klitchko, Frampton v Santa Cruz x 2, Ward v Kovalev x 2, Canelo v GGG, De Gale v Jack (unification bout), Rigo v Lomachenko (hopefully) and the development of the Super 8 competition at two weight groups. There's a long way to go to sort out the pathetic undercards but I think we are seeing a bit of a shift in boxing at the minute. Hopefully it will continue.

You're definitely right, the past year has seen some good match ups with a few of them still to be fought.  GGG Alvarez should be unbelievable, can't see it not living up to expectation as both will come forward.  Just hope that Alvarezs stalling won't benefit him as GGG didn't look himself in his last fight, but then again Alvarez won't move like Jacobs and won't weigh what he did either.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Apologies if silly question but do you need a sky subscription to get sky box office?

Minder

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if this is fixed so they can go again
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 22, 2017, 03:06:43 PM
Apologies if silly question but do you need a sky subscription to get sky box office?

No, but I also didn't know that until today either. I saw an ad on SkySports earlier saying you could watch without being a sky subscriber either online www.skysports.com/boxofficelive (I think) or by downloading sky boxoffice app and watching on phone/tablet.

Can I also be the 1st to say to pay is to fail  ;)