Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: johnneycool on July 28, 2017, 10:35:42 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2017, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 28, 2017, 09:33:46 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 28, 2017, 08:57:14 AM
McGuigan's win against Pedroza was a far bigger victory than any of McGregor's.

He avoided Azumah Nelson so much that all his titles are tainted in my eyes. He picked off the easier belt and boxed a few journeymen like Taylor before getting stung in Vegas.
You can pick holes in anyone's achievements if you dig deep enough.
Barry is no boxing great.

Plenty of holes to pick in Mr Tapout as well!!

Correct.

What McGregor has caught onto is the hype required to get people to part with their hard earned cash. It's as blunt as that.
He used to be funny and entertaining with the lines about red panties and so forth, but the material is running thin on the run up to this circus with Mayfeather in Vegas.

Fair play to him from breaking from the norm and he's a fantastic and dedicated athlete who's made the sacrifices to get himself into this position. Credit has to go where its due.

I think the issue with the Mayweather fight is that he is not allowed to talk about certain stuff hence the dialogue being scripted.

Quote from: gallsman on July 28, 2017, 08:57:14 AM
McGuigan's win against Pedroza was a far bigger victory than any of McGregor's.

Thats subjective.  Both were dominant champions in their division but Aldo had only lost once whereas Pedroza was knocked out three times before he fought McGuigan.  Aldo was also regarded as the pound for pound number 1 too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Lads who use "Mr Tapout" to denigrate lads are completely ignorant of the sport. And while the sport is niche, it's probably understandable that lads know nothing about it, but still are happy to comment on it!

Tapping out against submisssion experts is exactly that same as getting knocked out by good punchers. It's no better or worse way to lose. Never seen a UFC card that didn't have at least one tapout.

While it happens, it's very rare to have undefeated fighters in UFC. There are no bouts to pad your record. Every fight McGregor has had, there's been experts tipping his opponent. The risk of losing is always there. The matchmaking in UFC is fantastic, no easy rides given which makes it so so much better than boxing. Look at a boxing undercard and the bulk of the bouts will have the fav at anything from 1/5 to 1/100.

As for fame, McGuigan at the peak of his powers was arguably more famous in Ireland than McGregor is now. But worldwide McGregor is miles ahead. While Collins, Dunne and Frampton all had terrific achievements I don't think any caught the imagaination of the Irish public like McGuigan did. 

As for achievement, I would put an Olympic Gold Medal in women's boxing on a par with an undisputed world title in UFC. I think McGregor is probably ahead of Katie now with a second title at a different weight. Katie would get back on terms with a world professional title (assuming McGregor is comprehensively beaten by Floyd as expected).

Not sure how to rate men's boxing vs UFC. The additional depth in men's boxing is diluted by the fact its spread over more weight classes and the myriad of "world" titles.
Wiki says there are currently 74 world boxing champions with the main bodies (WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO) across 17 weight divisions. While it says there are 9 world UFC champions across 8 divisions.

It's possible to cleverly manage a good prospect into a world title fight without putting too much at risk. You couldn't do that in UFC. But I'd regard an undisputed world boxing champion as one of the best individual achievements in sport.   

Owen Brannigan

Any chance either of them might have a fall in the shower before the fight and avoid any embarrassment?

Medic

Brock Lesnar Vs Jon Jones already better than Mayweather Vs McGregor!!! I can't lie...only PPV I would ever pay for!!! :P
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Medic

Leonard Ellerbe - Conor Mcgregor I have never seen anyone like him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YrFr-Z48hk
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

lurganblue

I see Paulie Malignaggi has thrown the toys out of the pram.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: lurganblue on August 04, 2017, 10:28:16 AM

Whats this over? Money?

lurganblue

Looks to me that he isn't happy with the pics being released from the camp. Is he embarrassed? Says he will reveal all later but is tweeting a lot in his defence to say he wasn't battered and he in fact won the sparring.

rosnarun

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 04, 2017, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 04, 2017, 10:28:16 AM

Whats this over? Money?
publicity , they need at least one major story a day , big brother style
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

square_ball

Yeah not happy with the pictures released and wants a full video of the sparring released after the fight. Pictures look like a knockdown but he said that wasn't the case. And he also said that he handled McGregor fine through the 12 rounds. Bearing in mind Sam Eggington took him out in 8 rounds 6 months ago that doesn't bode well for McGregor.

Taylor

If Paulie won the sparring with a face like that I dread to think what CMcG looks like.

Paulie reckons they took him off a 12 hour flight and made him spar the next day with Dana & Ferrerita (sp) watching. This he felt was an attempt to embarrass him.

Loves the limelight so any attention is welcome as far as PM is concerned (could say the same about the 2 fighters I guess)

Syferus

Not bad for a novice boxer.

Megaman

i dont mind McGregor and think fair play to him for all he has done including brainwashing everyone into watching this farce.

i really hope either one gets knocked out in the first round, all this hype/shite for nothing.