Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2017, 05:01:45 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 27, 2017, 04:14:06 PM
With the deals he has signed with UFC - shares in the company and the European gym franchise I don't see the money running out any time soon. Remember MMA is a much faster growing sport than Boxing.

He doesn't have shares in the company.

This line about MMA being a rapidly growing sport - it is obviously still in its relative infancy, so can anyone point to any statistics to back this kind of claim up?!

I thought he had a cut? More fake news then

dclane

Quote from: thebigfella on July 27, 2017, 04:24:29 PM
I'd put his achievements on par or above Katie Taylor at least. I think both their achievements are over hyped tbh
The big fella is only a big fella on the internet I'd say.
Bet you wouldn't say as much to Katie Taylor's face ya big coward.

Taylor

Quote from: screenexile on July 27, 2017, 04:10:06 PM
McGregor's sporting achievements for me wouldn't sit with Katie Taylor/Rory McIlroy/Harrington/McGuigan/Frampton. For one he is still young and hasn't finished his career so he has the capacity to live with the above names, secondly for me UFC is still a minority sport and while it's big money he's not the number one rated either which goes against him.

With regard to the bravado I have no problem whatsoever with him bragging about what he's done in the ring, saying he wants to take over the UFC and how he thinks he'll win in round x, the red panty night thing is all good banter and.

The money stuff is putrid though and nobody wants to hear someone go on about how much money they make. Lads like Harrington/McIlroy/Frampton have no problem telling you how good they think you are but they don't need to measure themselves in millions of dollars or use profanity left and right to get their point across.

I hope it doesn't happen but the McGregor story to me looks like a familiar one . . . I can't help but think there is a fall from grace coming at some stage!! The working class background, the fast rise to stardom, the questionable company he keeps, the ego, the money all points to a precarious position.

A bit more humility might help him out in the long run and endear him to more people in Ireland and the world.
McGuigan & Frampton....how many belts did they win and defend?
Katie Taylor is an exceptional boxer but how many quality lady boxers are there?

CMcG trash talking does my head in but if he had achieved exactly what he has but walked around with his head down being humble like the 'Irish are supposed to' would you guys have more respect for him then?

No country in the world dislike their own celebrating success like the Irish.....gallant losers are better thought of in this country  ???

manfromdelmonte

I cannot see too many redeeming features in the lad

The Iceman

Quote from: Taylor on July 27, 2017, 05:33:15 PM
McGregor's sporting achievements for me wouldn't sit with Katie Taylor/Rory McIlroy/Harrington/McGuigan/Frampton. For one he is still young and hasn't finished his career so he has the capacity to live with the above names, secondly for me UFC is still a minority sport and while it's big money he's not the number one rated either which goes against him.

With regard to the bravado I have no problem whatsoever with him bragging about what he's done in the ring, saying he wants to take over the UFC and how he thinks he'll win in round x, the red panty night thing is all good banter and.

The money stuff is putrid though and nobody wants to hear someone go on about how much money they make. Lads like Harrington/McIlroy/Frampton have no problem telling you how good they think you are but they don't need to measure themselves in millions of dollars or use profanity left and right to get their point across.

I hope it doesn't happen but the McGregor story to me looks like a familiar one . . . I can't help but think there is a fall from grace coming at some stage!! The working class background, the fast rise to stardom, the questionable company he keeps, the ego, the money all points to a precarious position.

A bit more humility might help him out in the long run and endear him to more people in Ireland and the world.
McGuigan & Frampton....how many belts did they win and defend?
Katie Taylor is an exceptional boxer but how many quality lady boxers are there?

CMcG trash talking does my head in but if he had achieved exactly what he has but walked around with his head down being humble like the 'Irish are supposed to' would you guys have more respect for him then?

No country in the world dislike their own celebrating success like the Irish.....gallant losers are better thought of in this country  ???
typical begrudgery.... if he lost his fortune they would throw a parade for him...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thebigfella

Quote from: dclane on July 27, 2017, 05:29:18 PM
I'd put his achievements on par or above Katie Taylor at least. I think both their achievements are over hyped tbh

Wise up you moron. She's may be an outstanding Irish athlete and so is McGregor; what she and McGregor have achieved though is in what could be classed "niche" sports. The proverbial big fish in a small pond, especially women's boxing where there was very little competition. Her legacy shouldn't be measured by what she has achieved in the ring but with what she has done raising the profile of women's boxing at home and abroad. People get a bit carried away about her.

Do her amateur boxing achievements outweigh for example what Leona Maguire has achieved, absolutely not. Her pro fights have been dubious to say the least but again its raising the profile.

Syferus

Quote from: thebigfella on July 27, 2017, 06:58:59 PM

Wise up you moron. She's may be an outstanding Irish athlete and so is McGregor; what she and McGregor have achieved though is in what could be classed "niche" sports. The proverbial big fish in a small pond, especially women's boxing where there was very little competition. Her legacy shouldn't be measured by what she has achieved in the ring but with what she has done raising the profile of women's boxing at home and abroad. People get a bit carried away about her.

Do her amateur boxing achievements outweigh for example what Leona Maguire has achieved, absolutely not. Her pro fights have been dubious to say the least but again its raising the profile.

I had to Google Leona Maguire. Says it all. Please stop the transparent trolling.

thebigfella

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2017, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 27, 2017, 06:58:59 PM

I had to Google Leona Maguire. Says it all. Please stop the transparent trolling.

Have you actually contributed anything to this thread?

nrico2006

He is the number 1 rated lightweight now and was the number 1 featherweight before that.  Katie Taylors achievements have to be taken in perspective too though and while I really like Frampton and McGuigan, their records aren't exactly laced with victories against top top fighters.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

McGuigan's win against Pedroza was a far bigger victory than any of McGregor's.

JimStynes

Taylor, McGuigan, Frampton etc - McGregor is a bigger star than them all. Outside of boxing fans no one has a clue who they are.

johnneycool

Quote from: gallsman on July 28, 2017, 08:57:14 AM

He avoided Azumah Nelson so much that all his titles are tainted in my eyes. He picked off the easier belt and boxed a few journeymen like Taylor before getting stung in Vegas.
You can pick holes in anyone's achievements if you dig deep enough.
Barry is no boxing great.

gallsman

I never said he was a great, I was merely referring to his win over the long reigning champ in Pedroza.

Quote from: JimStynes on July 28, 2017, 09:07:27 AM
Taylor, McGuigan, Frampton etc - McGregor is a bigger star than them all. Outside of boxing fans no one has a clue who they are.

Being a bigger star is nothing to do with athletic achievement. I doubt you'd find anyone here who would dispute that he's the biggest star of the lot.

screenexile

Quote from: johnneycool on July 28, 2017, 09:33:46 AM

He avoided Azumah Nelson so much that all his titles are tainted in my eyes. He picked off the easier belt and boxed a few journeymen like Taylor before getting stung in Vegas.

Plenty of holes to pick in Mr Tapout as well!!

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2017, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 28, 2017, 09:33:46 AM

Plenty of holes to pick in Mr Tapout as well!!

Correct.

What McGregor has caught onto is the hype required to get people to part with their hard earned cash. It's as blunt as that.
He used to be funny and entertaining with the lines about red panties and so forth, but the material is running thin on the run up to this circus with Mayfeather in Vegas.

Fair play to him from breaking from the norm and he's a fantastic and dedicated athlete who's made the sacrifices to get himself into this position. Credit has to go where its due.