Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It's not because he's arrogant. Arrogance is not a mortal sin. I like our stars to be humble, but arrogance itself wouldn't be the killer. It's the general behaviour. The foul mouthedness, the gratuitous insults, the casual racism. I realise it's all just a show, but I think it's pathetic.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 27, 2017, 10:57:12 AM
It's not because he's arrogant. Arrogance is not a mortal sin. I like our stars to be humble, but arrogance itself wouldn't be the killer. It's the general behaviour. The foul mouthedness, the gratuitous insults, the casual racism. I realise it's all just a show, but I think it's pathetic.

"Yeah, well what would you know anyway. You're just a jealous begrudger. You need to educate yourself"

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 27, 2017, 10:57:12 AM

Exactly. I'd see it the same way. The "f**k you" suit was so childish.

JimStynes

He's going to make himself the guts of $100million in his next fight from that sort of behaviour! Fair played to him.

AZOffaly

Quote from: JimStynes on July 27, 2017, 11:46:04 AM
He's going to make himself the guts of $100million in his next fight from that sort of behaviour! Fair played to him.

He is. You can make that amount robbing Fort Knox too, doesn't make it right.

bennydorano

Why are people so overjoyed that McGregor is set for life because of this? It's constantly referenced. Reflected glory work in monetary terms too?

I saw a photo of him sparring in the Irish News the other day and was taken aback at how exposed he looked throwing a jab, I came to the conclusion the he must have staged it as it looked so awful - if not, he's going to get badly embarrassed  by Mayweather.

JimStynes

I like trash talkers in sport. I find them entertaining. This trash talker so happens to be from Ireland and is a very funny one, which makes me like him even more, so I say fair played to him. It's also great story! A young fella from Dublin who was on welfare a few years ago is about to fight Floyd Mayweather for $100million. Circus or not it's great story. The 'fight' itself will be shite and he hasn't a chance. I won't bother paying for it but I will definitely tune in to all the shit talk. I'm taking it for what it is and not getting annoyed that it's not going to be the best fight in history! I will be getting up early to watch the Broner V Garcia fight this weekend to watch a proper boxing match between two very skilled fighters. 

It is definitely an Irish and English trait to hate anyone successful or a bit different. You have to be boring like Harrington etc to be liked in Ireland it seems.

PAULD123

Quote from: Taylor on July 27, 2017, 10:27:25 AM
Give me a break Dave.
Just because he is arrogant doesn't lessen his achievements.

Would far rather we put him on a pedestal (for his acheievements) than boast about being gracious losers and the best supporters at a tournament.

Why do the Irish have to be humble about their achievements?

Not often I agree with this man but think this post is spot on.

Arrogance is when you are openly proud of yourself for something you cannot justify
Confidence is when you are openly proud of yourself for things you can justify

McGregor has defo gone from confidence to arrogance during this process but as Taylor said that doesn't take away from the things he has indeed earned, and for those things, why should he be humble and deferent about his victories.

Hound

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 27, 2017, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 27, 2017, 10:27:25 AM
Give me a break Dave.
Just because he is arrogant doesn't lessen his achievements.

Would far rather we put him on a pedestal (for his acheievements) than boast about being gracious losers and the best supporters at a tournament.

Why do the Irish have to be humble about their achievements?

Not often I agree with this man but think this post is spot on.

Arrogance is when you are openly proud of yourself for something you cannot justify
Confidence is when you are openly proud of yourself for things you can justify

McGregor has defo gone from confidence to arrogance during this process but as Taylor said that doesn't take away from the things he has indeed earned, and for those things, why should he be humble and deferent about his victories.
If anyone deserves to be arrogant, it's him. He definitely curses too much, a trait held by many Irish unfortunately.

He's created a persona that made him famous, he followed it up with achievements in the octagon that made him a great. Its ridiculous how fast he's gone from earning 10k a fight to tens of millions.

People who judge him by just what he says in his press conferences are being short sighted in my view. Most of what he says to opponents is to either generate laughs or to get inside his opponents heads to make them hate him and throw away their gameplan.

One of the great things I've found about following UFC is all the coverage on youtube etc of things that happen before and after the press conferences and fights. In these, you can see McGregor talking to his team laughing about things that went on. You get a much better feel for him when he's not acting. Particularly good are the videos of Q&As he gives to the press after fights. In these he usually has the height of praise for his opponents and he just has a normal persona.

The recent clip of when Mayweather Snr interrupted a McGregor press conference, which started with them roaring abuse at each other and ended with them laughing with each other and McGregor saying something like "you actually really like me" was great fun. Highlighted McGregor's charisma and wit.

The lame racism accusations from some are absolute nonsense. And Mayweather Snr said the same when asked about it.

screenexile

McGregor's sporting achievements for me wouldn't sit with Katie Taylor/Rory McIlroy/Harrington/McGuigan/Frampton. For one he is still young and hasn't finished his career so he has the capacity to live with the above names, secondly for me UFC is still a minority sport and while it's big money he's not the number one rated either which goes against him.

With regard to the bravado I have no problem whatsoever with him bragging about what he's done in the ring, saying he wants to take over the UFC and how he thinks he'll win in round x, the red panty night thing is all good banter and.

The money stuff is putrid though and nobody wants to hear someone go on about how much money they make. Lads like Harrington/McIlroy/Frampton have no problem telling you how good they think you are but they don't need to measure themselves in millions of dollars or use profanity left and right to get their point across.

I hope it doesn't happen but the McGregor story to me looks like a familiar one . . . I can't help but think there is a fall from grace coming at some stage!! The working class background, the fast rise to stardom, the questionable company he keeps, the ego, the money all points to a precarious position.

A bit more humility might help him out in the long run and endear him to more people in Ireland and the world.

Walter Cronc

I think your underestimating him big time SE.

By all accounts he's a humble and hard working lad away from the cameras. It's all a game and he plays it better than anyone else.

With the deals he has signed with UFC - shares in the company and the European gym franchise I don't see the money running out any time soon. Remember MMA is a much faster growing sport than Boxing.

Who's to say he won't end up in Hollywood either. If the Rock and Vin Diesel can do movies so can McGregor.

JimStynes

I don't think people are saying he's the best ever or anything like that. He's definitely one of the biggest superstars in sport at the minute though. I reckon he will end up in the movies and some sort of fashion label.

thebigfella

I'd put his achievements on par or above Katie Taylor at least. I think both their achievements are over hyped tbh

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 27, 2017, 04:14:06 PM
With the deals he has signed with UFC - shares in the company and the European gym franchise I don't see the money running out any time soon. Remember MMA is a much faster growing sport than Boxing.

He doesn't have shares in the company.

This line about MMA being a rapidly growing sport - it is obviously still in its relative infancy, so can anyone point to any statistics to back this kind of claim up?!

seafoid

I can't think of any other Irish person either real or acted  with a media brand like McGregor, either now or in the past.

Eamonn Sweeney said it well

"O'Shea explained, eloquently and with good manners, that when he was a ten-year-old he'd loved getting autographs from players, so when kids ask him for the same thing he always obliges them. He didn't say, 'F**k you Bernard Flynn, f**k you, f**k you, f**k  you, you Meath cockroach'. If he had done there would have been uproar. Few people would have complimented him for being 'hilarious'. Most people would have wondered if he was right in the head."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU