Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on June 21, 2017, 10:29:06 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 21, 2017, 08:56:38 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 20, 2017, 09:52:44 PM
Franko the fact you even think he has  a chance show how much u know about boxing,

As for McGregor  been forced to secure at least 2-3 victories against world top 20 fighters, that never happen cause  any top 20 fighter at this weight would beat him.

I've yet to say anything about his chances... but FYI, I think he's almost certainly going to get beat.  But you people are totallly certain.  So I ask - why don't you put your money where your mouth is?  You're guaranteed to make money.  Remortgage the house, sell the car, sell the wife ffs... but if I was as sure as some of you are I'd be collecting my free cash. 

If there was a rush to the bookies to back Mayweather he'd be a lot shorter than 1-6.  So that tells me that all these people who are so certain are maybe not actually that certain at all.  Or, like I said earlier, maybe it's a (lack of) minerals issue...

Maybe, just maybe, some people don't gamble.

Where's the gamble in it?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Franko on June 21, 2017, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 21, 2017, 10:03:25 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 20, 2017, 04:41:19 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 20, 2017, 03:52:40 PM
Why would I put my money where my mouth is when the returns are minuscule? It's not like I am suggesting an underdog will win. So defo no, I am not going to be wasting money betting on Mayweather to get pennies in return.

Look this is a supreme exponent of his trade being pitched against a  brawler that has never had a professional boxing fight in his life. In fact as far as I can make out he never even boxed at senior amateur level. He is a very good UFC fighter no doubt but that is simply not the same. It isn't even close to the same. The thing about UFC is that the playing field is leveled so that a Karate fighter can fight a kung-fu can fight a teakwando fighter because they are fighting a combined rules format. McGregor is being asked to leave most of his skills at the gate and fight only on Mayweather's terms and rules.

So the fight is in a format McGregor has absolutely NO adult competition experience off and against the best fighter in that art and only to his rules.

This would be like Dublin GAA winning the Pro 12 rugby league in their first year of competition. Sure, they are good at catching, kicking and running and they're all big lads. Why couldn't they beat Leinster at rugby???????. Or maybe if they win their third All-Ireland this year people will suggest a challenge match against Chelsea, mind you they have to only play soccer no combined rules.

;D ;D ;D

If you are guaranteed a return (as you say) you're not wasting a penny.  On the contrary, you're buying money.  You're absolutely guaranteed £117 odd quid for every hundred you spend.  You don't even have to wait - you can see a return within an hour.  Maybe you work in the civil service and have no clue about business but if this is as big a cert as you say, this is the sweetest deal since RHI.  Or maybe you just don't have the minerals.....  ;)

£17... you're guaranteed £17 for every £100 you spend!

Erm... no??  Spending £100 returns £117.

So you win £17. You aren't one of these lads who count their stake as their winnings are you?  ;D It's terrible odds for a sport where one mistake, one controversial incident or one injury can upset the result. Just because someone believes something will happen, doesn't mean they have to gamble their house on it.
That was never a square ball!!

trueblue1234

But if that's the case you're not spending the £100 cause you get it back, cant have it both ways. So you are making £17 for nothing if you are sure he's going to win.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2017, 10:56:39 AM
Why would I put my money where my mouth is when the returns are minuscule? It's not like I am suggesting an underdog will win. So defo no, I am not going to be wasting money betting on Mayweather to get pennies in return.

Look this is a supreme exponent of his trade being pitched against a  brawler that has never had a professional boxing fight in his life. In fact as far as I can make out he never even boxed at senior amateur level. He is a very good UFC fighter no doubt but that is simply not the same. It isn't even close to the same. The thing about UFC is that the playing field is leveled so that a Karate fighter can fight a kung-fu can fight a teakwando fighter because they are fighting a combined rules format. McGregor is being asked to leave most of his skills at the gate and fight only on Mayweather's terms and rules.

So the fight is in a format McGregor has absolutely NO adult competition experience off and against the best fighter in that art and only to his rules.

This would be like Dublin GAA winning the Pro 12 rugby league in their first year of competition. Sure, they are good at catching, kicking and running and they're all big lads. Why couldn't they beat Leinster at rugby???????. Or maybe if they win their third All-Ireland this year people will suggest a challenge match against Chelsea, mind you they have to only play soccer no combined rules.

;D ;D ;D

If you are guaranteed a return (as you say) you're not wasting a penny.  On the contrary, you're buying money.  You're absolutely guaranteed £117 odd quid for every hundred you spend.  You don't even have to wait - you can see a return within an hour.  Maybe you work in the civil service and have no clue about business but if this is as big a cert as you say, this is the sweetest deal since RHI.  Or maybe you just don't have the minerals.....  ;)

So you win £17. You aren't one of these lads who count their stake as their winnings are you?  ;D It's terrible odds for a sport where one mistake, one controversial incident or one injury can upset the result. Just because someone believes something will happen, doesn't mean they have to gamble their house on it.

Nobody mentioned winnings except you.  You invest £100, you see a guaranteed return of £117.  Why is this so difficult???

The second part of your post tells me all I need to know.  You're not actually certain.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Franko on June 21, 2017, 11:22:50 AM

;D ;D ;D

Nobody mentioned winnings except you.  You invest £100, you see a guaranteed return of £117.  Why is this so difficult???

The second part of your post tells me all I need to know.  You're not actually certain.

That's exactly what the second part of the post is saying. Its a combat sport where so many variables can take place. All anyone is saying that, if everything is equal - Mayweather wins however he wants. It doesnt mean you want to gamble your life savings on it.
That was never a square ball!!

tonto1888

My take on this, and I don't think for one second that McGregor will win but....
Mayweather is a known quantity, everyone knows what he will bring. That's not the case for McGregor. McG can plan his fight around what Mayweather does as he knows what he will do. Floyd doesn't know what McG is bringing so cant really plan a strategy. He will have to feel him out for the first couple of rounds and base a strategy on that. Is Mayweather good enough to do that? That's a genuine question

PAULD123

I was accused of not knowing about business or being a civil servant. well I have a degree in accountancy so yeah, I do know quite a bit about business. The return on investment is NET income divided by investment (£17/£100 = 1/5.88 odds).

Therefore Return is the NET income £17. NOT £117.

This has been pointed out by a few other posters but as the insult was directed at me personally I thought I would reply. Sorry Franko looks like you are the one who needs to get the business books out!!!

Franko

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2017, 12:12:14 PM
I was accused of not knowing about business or being a civil servant. well I have a degree in accountancy so yeah, I do know quite a bit about business. The return on investment is NET income divided by investment (£17/£100 = 1/5.88 odds).

Therefore Return is the NET income £17. NOT £117.

This has been pointed out by a few other posters but as the insult was directed at me personally I thought I would reply. Sorry Franko looks like you are the one who needs to get the business books out!!!

Very good.  You've pointed out a glaring inaccuracy in my accounting terminology.  The numbers are correct though and that is a more than healthy return over a 1 hour period so I assume someone with your clearly demonstrated business acumen  ::) will be making the investment.  Good luck - though, of course, you won't be needing it.

Franko

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2017, 11:39:45 AM

;D ;D ;D

That's exactly what the second part of the post is saying. Its a combat sport where so many variables can take place. All anyone is saying that, if everything is equal - Mayweather wins however he wants. It doesnt mean you want to gamble your life savings on it.

And that's exactly what I'm saying... everyone is certain that Mayweather wins until asked to put up or shut up.  At that stage the ifs and buts start to come out.  Realistically, it's probably Mayweather's fight to do what he wants with - but it's a two horse race and McGregor has a puncher's chance.  Has everyone forgotten about Leicester winning the PL?

HiMucker

Quote from: Franko on June 21, 2017, 01:30:10 PM

;D ;D ;D

And that's exactly what I'm saying... everyone is certain that Mayweather wins until asked to put up or shut up.  At that stage the ifs and buts start to come out.  Realistically, it's probably Mayweather's fight to do what he wants with - but it's a two horse race and McGregor has a puncher's chance.  Has everyone forgotten about Leicester winning the PL?
No, but let me know when Saracens do.

Franko

Quote from: HiMucker on June 21, 2017, 01:51:45 PM
Quote from: Franko on June 21, 2017, 01:30:10 PM

;D ;D ;D

No, but let me know when Saracens do.

Let me know when Saracens manage to talk their way into it first.

Taylor

So back to the actual fight.

Any footage emerge recently of CMcG sparring?

yellowcard

The odds are set by market forces so will fairly accurately reflect each boxers chance. All things being equal, Mayweather will box the ears off McGregor. McGregor has regularly sparred against Irish amateur boxers and from what I hear they are more than well able to hold their own with him. So logically, to think that he is going to beat the best poind for pound boxer in the world in his first competitive fight would be a bit fanciful. Of course he has a punchers chance just like any boxer but all of the entertainment in this contest will take place outside the ring. I wouldn't even be surprised if the fight does not materialise.

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2017, 02:17:59 PM
The odds are set by market forces so will fairly accurately reflect each boxers chance. All things being equal, Mayweather will box the ears off McGregor. McGregor has regularly sparred against Irish amateur boxers and from what I hear they are more than well able to hold their own with him. So logically, to think that he is going to beat the best poind for pound boxer in the world in his first competitive fight would be a bit fanciful. Of course he has a punchers chance just like any boxer but all of the entertainment in this contest will take place outside the ring. I wouldn't even be surprised if the fight does not materialise.

Incorrect.
The odds are set by opinions of oddsmakers - the odds then fluctuate based on market forces

yellowcard

Quote from: Taylor on June 21, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2017, 02:17:59 PM

Incorrect.
The odds are set by opinions of oddsmakers - the odds then fluctuate based on market forces

Of course, and given that the fight has been announced for a couple of weeks it is fairly certain that market forces have kicked in already after the initial pricing, hence the odds are reflective of their chances as of now.