Is the GAA doing enough to promote hurling?

Started by GaelicGames.In, August 01, 2007, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaelicGames.In

I agree darbyo. There are large areas of HURLING counties in which there is no hurling played but its covered up by they fact that part of the county is hurling mad. Compare these to maps:

Football clubs in Cork:
http://www.gaelicgames.in/football.php?co=cork
Hurling clubs in Cork:
http://www.gaelicgames.in/hurling.php?co=cork

There is not hurling clubs in Beara (west cork division) at all.

Hurling north of Tipperary/Kilkenny is confined to 'enclaves' in which there is only hurling e.g North Westmeath, South Roscommon (which borders Galway's hurling heartland.

GaelicGames.In

I agree darbyo. There are large areas of HURLING counties in which there is no hurling played - but its covered up by they fact that another part of the county is hurling mad. Compare these to maps:

Football clubs in Cork:
http://www.gaelicgames.in/football.php?co=cork
Hurling clubs in Cork:
http://www.gaelicgames.in/hurling.php?co=cork

There is no hurling clubs in Beara (west cork division) at all.

In offaly all the serious hurling is done by clubs within about 10 miles of Birr

Hurling north of Tipperary/Kilkenny is confined to 'enclaves' in which there is only hurling e.g North Westmeath, South Roscommon (which borders Galway's hurling heartland.

tayto

Interesting. Are you sure you've got the population figures right? I thought Cork is nearer the half million population. Also the GAA has only recently appointed the natioanl and regional hurling managers + promotion officers, time will tell how effective they are. Not sure about the theory that lads dont have time for soccerin cork because they're dual players, Cork has a divide, in Dublin almost all players are dual players and a lot of kids play rugby + soccer as well.   

tayto

Quote from: Rossfan on August 01, 2007, 04:10:15 PM
Pity you had to have a map showing London incorporated into a town in North West Ireland

Not much they can do about that. Write to Google maps.

darbyo

QuoteDoing alot? What does that mean , i mean it seems to me that Dublin's turn around came with very little help from the top.

I'm open to correction on this but I'd imagine the GAA helps fund any promotion of either code in all counties. If your saying that the improvements in Dublin, Mayo, Wicklow or Armagh hurling has come without any assistance(financial or otherwise) from the GAA then what are the GAA doing?

GaelicGames.In

You're right - my mistake - i took the wrong number from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Cork

I know 5 fellas from Cork. 3 are dual. One only plays hurling. One plays a bit of hurling but mainly football. To thats what i was baseing that statement on

Gnevin

Quote from: darbyo on August 01, 2007, 05:59:28 PM
QuoteDoing alot? What does that mean , i mean it seems to me that Dublin's turn around came with very little help from the top.

I'm open to correction on this but I'd imagine the GAA helps fund any promotion of either code in all counties. If your saying that the improvements in Dublin, Mayo, Wicklow or Armagh hurling has come without any assistance(financial or otherwise) from the GAA then what are the GAA doing?
Funds are meaningless unless carefully managed . Wasn't their funds given to Mayo what ended up going to the football team? What has the GAA done in Mayo that last i heard the County board fired the Hurling manager for asking for some balls! In some cases the GAA should step in and step up and run a separate Hurling board in some counties .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

darbyo

QuoteFund are meaningless unless carefully managed. Wasn't their a funds given to Mayo what ended up going to the football team? What has the GAA done in Mayo

So Gnevin who's this GAA you speak of? Is it not the county boards of the various counties who by and large independently run the counties of the country under the guidance of a central council, who themselves come from the self same counties. I'm not trying to be smart but when people say that the GAA are not doing enough for hurling I wonder what they think they (the GAA) should be doing and who should be doing it?
             As tayto pointed out a National Development officer has been appointed as have development officers in 'hurling black spots' various counties have improved their standing in hurling with competitions now established for them to compete in.
                FIFA have been trying for over 30 years to establish soccer in the US as a major sport with limited success. Like I say there are plenty of areas of the country where neither code is as strong as we would like. This is where I feel the GAA should be focusing on as maybe starting from scratch would allow strong football only clubs and strong hurling only clubs to be created.

Gnevin

Quote from: darbyo on August 01, 2007, 06:34:23 PM
QuoteFund are meaningless unless carefully managed. Wasn't their a funds given to Mayo what ended up going to the football team? What has the GAA done in Mayo

So Gnevin who's this GAA you speak of? Is it not the county boards of the various counties who by and large independently run the counties of the country under the guidance of a central council, who themselves come from the self same counties. I'm not trying to be smart but when people say that the GAA are not doing enough for hurling I wonder what they think they (the GAA) should be doing and who should be doing it?
             As tayto pointed out a National Development officer has been appointed as have development officers in 'hurling black spots' various counties have improved their standing in hurling with competitions now established for them to compete in.
                FIFA have been trying for over 30 years to establish soccer in the US as a major sport with limited success. Like I say there are plenty of areas of the country where neither code is as strong as we would like. This is where I feel the GAA should be focusing on as maybe starting from scratch would allow strong football only clubs and strong hurling only clubs to be created.

When i say GAA in this context i mean from a national level , eg from HQ down. I know its no easy task but all of counties are putting in 0 effort! I mean 2 clubs is a disgrace are they really saying they can't find 20 people interested in a puck about on a sunday ?
The GAA has let Hurling be second fiddle for too long!
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

darbyo

QuoteWhen i say GAA in this context i mean from a national level , eg from HQ down. I know its no easy task but all of counties are putting in 0 effort! I mean 2 clubs is a disgrace are they really saying they can't find 20 people interested in a puck about on a sunday ?
The GAA has let Hurling be second fiddle for too long!

I know you mean national level but like any other volunteer organization, the top brass can't force everything through that it may like. This is what I mean when I say, it is annoying when people say that the GAA should do this or that.... it isn't that easy to get the members of an organisation like the GAA to all sing off the same hymn sheet. Hurling is playing second fiddle not because none of the top brass care about it but because football,soccer and in the North politics mean that hurling is not that popular in large parts of the country.
                                   Now I don't know why hurling never took hold outside of Munster/S. Leinster to any great degree, I'm sure it's complex and multi layered. But to give credit to the GAA, they are taking steps to improve the standard of hurling throughout the country, but it will take time to see results.
                  The other thing is that Hurling may not be flourishing in certain counties simply because the GAA population there don't much care for the game, that's probably the reason football is struggling in Kilkenny, and I'm not sure too much can be done about that.