American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

no, to be honest I didnt think they'd get past Dallas or the Packers or for that matter by week 8 they werent looking like play-off contenders
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Minder

I actually thought they would be dangerous for any team and thought they would beat the Pats in the final regular season game, aminly because of their defense and the pressure they can put on the QB.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

that was the most exciting NFL game I have witnessed this year.  The dram and action right down to the last minute could not have been more nerve wrecking or better.

Well done to the Giants and I actually do think they are in with a chance
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Iceman on January 22, 2008, 04:04:55 PM
that was the most exciting NFL game I have witnessed this year.  The dram and action right down to the last minute could not have been more nerve wrecking or better.

Well done to the Giants and I actually do think they are in with a chance

Ye it was some game Iceman the tension at the end was unreal the pressure on the Kicker was something else, Burress was brilliant for the giants himself and Harris ( i think)  were mouthing at each other for the whole match at one time during the match the sideline  commentator said Burress went to the green bay bench and said " take him off me he can't mark me ".
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

J70

Harris came off looking a bit foolish in the end after all the mouthing. The Packers should have given him some help anyway, as Burress was hammering him.

magickingdom

the giants have won 10 in a row on the road, thats some achievement and bty the game in green bay was apparently the 3rd coldest in nfl history! (windchill -25). dont rule them out!!

heganboy

the Brady picture has the press going mad here- some speculation that its a grab the headlines ploy to make the Giants complacent. He did have an off day Sunday, but whether it was down to injury is anyones guess
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

there's another picture taken last night - that shows no boot on his foot

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 18, 2008, 01:53:02 PM
An unbelievable goal from last night

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9wk_wuWmJRs

Rick Nash has scored some sick goals, but this must be the sickest...He dangled the puck for an age..Awesome 8)

stew

The Packers and packer nation are absolutely gutted. I watched the game in disbelief as McCarthy didnt react to what was happening on the field and i was amazed that he didnt go after manning from the get go and also that he didnt try and help his cornerback who was getting destroyed over there.

Noo York will get hammered in the superbowl. This will be the crowning glory on a perfect season for the pats, I think they will absolutely gut the giants and the they are two td favourites at the minute, I think they will win by 21 or more. The giants are very average and the scene is set for brady and Moss to show their brilliance come Sunday week.

I have long ben a pats fan however given the they cheated this year it would be poetic justice if new york overcame their woeful injury situation to beat tham, that said c'mon the pats.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Interesting article on ESPN..........

The Roger Clemens Award for "Best story that was ignored by the national media"
The great Brett Favre completely collapsed in the Giants-Packers game, throwing multiple balls up for grabs, single-handedly killing his team, and then everyone gave him the kid gloves treatment afterward. Favre had an incredible season and exceeded everyone's expectations. It was a wonderful ride, but come on. Didn't Troy Aikman and Joe Buck have to discuss Favre's Level 5 stinkbomb during the telecast beyond just alluding to it a couple of times? What about Peter King, who didn't even mention Favre's grisly performance in his normally comprehensive MMQB column? With all the breaks Green Bay got in that game, if Favre had given his team even a C-plus, the Pack would have won. You know he was bad when the Giants planned on kicking off in OT even if they won the coin flip.

(Note: The media spent four months spoon-feeding us this urban legend that Favre wasn't a gunslinger anymore, he was managing games now, he wasn't going to kill his team by taking dumb chances -- I wrote about how dumb this story line was as far back as Week 4 -- when the reality was Favre was playing the same way he always did, only he was playing exceptionally well and had better teammates. Unfortunately, for Packers fans, that minus-4 weather ended up freezing his Fountain of Youth and he killed their Super Bowl hopes. In my opinion, Favre never changed the way he played this season. Not even one iota. He just played well until Week 19. Which reminds me ...)

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magickingdom

Quote from: stew on January 23, 2008, 01:35:58 AM

I have long ben a pats fan however given the they cheated this year it would be poetic justice if new york overcame their woeful injury situation to beat tham, that said c'mon the pats.  ;D

got to get over that stew, if they did cheat they paid the price as set by the nfl so it should be forgotton about. having said that the giants are on a roll with nothing to lose up against the pats with EVERYTHING to lose..

Gabriel_Hurl

there is no "if" about it - they were caught cheating

magickingdom

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 23, 2008, 07:35:12 PM

and they paid the price. why do people still think they can hold it against them?

thejuice

Quote from: magickingdom on January 23, 2008, 08:59:21 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 23, 2008, 07:35:12 PM

and they paid the price. why do people still think they can hold it against them?

cos they didnt pay enough of a price, perhaps losing a superbowl would do. or eternal damnation to the lower echelon of teams like what happened to the Raiders after their years of cheating
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016