Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 429456 times)

straightred

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #10185 on: April 19, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »
NBA playoffs up and running. #1 seed in the East Celtics down 0-2 to the Bulls. The sister of their best player (Isaiah Thomas) died in a car crash hours before Game 1.

watched game 1 the other night. Some effort from Thomas - he barely held it together but still managed to put up 33 points. I don't think i'd be in any fit state to play any sport 24 hours after a tragedy like that

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: April 19, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
The Bulls have been very up and down all season but could be a dangerous outfit as they have some talented players.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: April 19, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »
The Bulls have been very up and down all season but could be a dangerous outfit as they have some talented players.

Nah, they're too reliant on Jimmy B. Still wouldn't rule out the Celtics but Cavs-Raptors in the eastern finals is likely.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

straightred

• View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: April 19, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »

Nah, they're too reliant on Jimmy B. Still wouldn't rule out the Celtics but Cavs-Raptors in the eastern finals is likely.

Think last year was a freak and the strength is in the west. Warriors looking very strong now with Durrant back

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: April 21, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »

Think last year was a freak and the strength is in the west. Warriors looking very strong now with Durrant back

The Cavs win out last year through a combination of Curry being hurt for the playoffs and LeBron going absolutely superhuman.

He was immense last night, dragging the Cavs back from 26 points down to the Pacers. They're still shocking on defense though, went something like 23-23 to close out the regular season and could/should have lost games 1 and 3 in this series. I'd not put it past the Raptors to get past them but even if they do make the Finals, I can't see anyway they'd get past the Warriors or Spurs (or even the Rockets) again.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: April 21, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron-hernandez-conviction-abatement/index.html

Because of an archaic Massachusetts law, dying in the process of appealing a conviction means it's vacated. Gives Hernandez' family a shot at his signing bonus money from the Patriots, and helps prevent civil suits against the family that could rely on the conviction as evidence. If the concussion study on his brain shows something then the NFL may be financially liable in some way too. His suicide makes a lot more sense now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:43:16 PM by Syferus »

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:10 PM »
Cavs are mediocre right now, but may still hit their stride.  Few thought they'd outlast the Warriors last year.  On a football note, I see that the Browns will play the Vikings in London on Oct. 29.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: April 22, 2017, 12:06:25 AM »
Cavs are mediocre right now, but may still hit their stride.  Few thought they'd outlast the Warriors last year.  On a football note, I see that the Browns will play the Vikings in London on Oct. 29.

Yeah but the Warriors have Durant this year and LeBron can't pull out 16 games on his own on offence and do all the D as well.

The Hernandez case still beggars belief. I still can't wrap my head around the sheer arrogance of it all.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »
Celtics back in it at 2-2 against the Bulls. Cavs closed out one of the tightest 4-0 sweeps you'll ever see against the Pacers, so an extra few days rest for LeBron.

heganboy

• well hello there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
Hernandez

There is a rumor going around that there is an exposť about Hernandez due to be released in the next few weeks.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: April 24, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
Hernandez

There is a rumor going around that there is an exposť about Hernandez due to be released in the next few weeks.

"Rumours" about his sexuality
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: April 24, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
Draft coming up on Thursday. Myles Garrett the consensus number 1, but it's going to be interesting to see how the QBs go. Deep draft for running backs and defensive backs too.

Crete Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: April 24, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »
Strong rumours over the weekend that the Browns are split on talking Trubisky and Garrett. They obviously believe the reports that the Niners are going QB at 2 and are worried Trubisky won't be there in the 7-12 range picks so some it seems want to pull the Trigger at 1 for Ohio boy Trubisky.
As a Bears fan I would be delighted with the Browns and Niners going for QB's as that would mean unbelievably Myles Garrett would fall to us at 3!!! :o :o :o
Personally I think the Browns take Garrett at 1 and the Niners take Solomon Thomas at 2 with nobody really knowing what the Bears will do at 3.
The most consistent thread lately for the Bears is taking one of Jamal Adams/Malik Hooker/Lattimore at 3 and trading back into the first around 24 or 26 and taking Kizer or Mahomes.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Pace takes Watson at 3 and Obi Melonfonwu/Budda Baker at 36!!

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: April 24, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
I wonder where Fournette will go. Or Dalvin Cook.

Crete Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: April 24, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »
I wonder where Fournette will go. Or Dalvin Cook.

I think Fournette will go top 6, probably to the Jags or maybe the Panthers trade up to get him.
I think Cook will slide out of the 1st round as a lot of teams think he has durability and character issues.
Personally I think the Bucs should gamble and take Cook in the 1st as he would would be a great fit for them.