American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Dolan is a twat and the Knicks are as big a mess as ever.

J70

Its rather sad, the perennial dysfunction of the Knicks. The Jackson hire has been an utter failure, as was the Isiah Thomas one before him.

The only decent general manager they've had in recent years was Donnie Walsh, and he basically got fed up with the bullshit.

Maybe its an NYC thing - after a few promising years after moving to Brooklyn, the Nets are a disaster too.

Gabriel_Hurl

stew

As a hater of all noo yark teams all I can say is Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

How the Knicks, a horrible defensive team for the past fifteen years, could do with a man like Oakley. He was an absolute warrior, both with the Knicks and the Bulls.

dec

I was at that game last night, some of the crowd started chanting his name when they realised what was going on. I think most Knicks fans would take Oakley's style of tough defence over what the current lot serve up most nights.

gallsman

So much chat at the moment about them trading Melo and everyone completely overlooking the fact that nobody wants him.

The situation with Rose a few weeks back was just as big a farce.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2017, 09:11:41 AM
So much chat at the moment about them trading Melo and everyone completely overlooking the fact that nobody wants him.

The situation with Rose a few weeks back was just as big a farce.

Everything I've read has made Melo look like the good guy. He's probably going to be better off if he can get away from the Knicks anyways. Still capable of being a big part of a championship calibur team so it'd be a pity if he doesn't get the ring his career deserves. He's not going to get it in NYC.

Jackson is coming off as an awful ****.

AZOffaly

HAsn't there been stories about Melo all throughout his career? Selfish, mouthy, shoot on sight. He tries to get his, and if the team wins that's a side benefit.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've heard that.

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2017, 02:36:31 PM
HAsn't there been stories about Melo all throughout his career? Selfish, mouthy, shoot on sight. He tries to get his, and if the team wins that's a side benefit.

Yes - heard same about Melo and have seen examples of this online before but couldnt be assed looking for it.

Its a complete mess and if anyone had any sense they would be looking to get out asap.

Will be some time before anyone wins a ring there

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2017, 02:36:31 PM

Melo has been a scapegoat in NY for almost the entire time he has been there, even while he has been heads and shoulders above everyone else on the team. Everything is always blamed on him, when its the dysfunction of the management of the team that is the real problem.

Yes, there are times when the team gets bogged down in isolation basketball, but he has tried to buy in to the triangle stuff and pass the ball a lot more under Jackson. Unfortunately, Porzingis aside, he has generally been surrounded by has-beens and never-will-bes.

I'd tell Jackson, the Knicks and NY to go  f**k themselves and go somewhere to try to win a championship before he finishes up if I was him.

He might get some appreciation in his absence from the loudmouth, obnoxious idiots who "support" the Knicks then (the same people who jeered and booed when Porzingis was selected in the draft).

I've been a pretty keen Knicks supporter for years, but the shit that's going this season has drained me. The Oakley stuff is the final straw. Talk about a classless, petty way to treat one of the best players in team history? And then to flippantly suggest in press releases that he get "mental help"?

f**k them.

AZOffaly

Did he not play with the Nuggets as well? Anthony I mean? I'm pretty sure he was there for a rake of years and had the same knocks on him there, i.e not a team player, a me feiner who is more interested in padding his stats than winning a championship. I'm fairly sure that's why real contenders have never really gone near him.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2017, 02:27:18 PM
Did he not play with the Nuggets as well? Anthony I mean? I'm pretty sure he was there for a rake of years and had the same knocks on him there, i.e not a team player, a me feiner who is more interested in padding his stats than winning a championship. I'm fairly sure that's why real contenders have never really gone near him.

More to do with the max contract in all likelihood. Clippers wanted him and they've a team that's very close to contention but they couldn't/can't find a third partner to make the trade work. Doc Rivers is one of the best coaches in the sport so if he thinks he can work with Melo that says a lot in itself.

AZOffaly

True. Maybe he's getting a bad rap, but I certainly remember stories like that about him. I don't follow the NBA too closely though, so it could be nonsense.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2017, 02:36:06 PM
True. Maybe he's getting a bad rap, but I certainly remember stories like that about him. I don't follow the NBA too closely though, so it could be nonsense.

I read something the other day that if his team wins is secondary to him, after his stats line so I don't think it's nonsense
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"