Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Arlene would build a concrete wall along the border if she could, and build a bridge to Scotland. That would be their ideal scenario.

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 08:01:44 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 16, 2018, 07:59:52 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 06:24:19 AM
For some reason the DUP want to leave the EU AND they don't want a hard border.
Imagine Mickey Harte pre AIF saying he wanted to win the All Ireland plus 5 marquee forwards.
Everyone would be laughing at him.
How did the DUP get away with its nonsense?
Seafoid make no mistake. The DUP absolutely do want a hard border.

The DUP are insane
Any party that puts wee Sammy ahead as a spokesman has to be
Just listened to a segment on BBC Radio Ulster where they interviewed people at a Shankill Rd community centre. Based on their comments (threatening action like that after the Anglo Irish Agreement), Sammy wilson is exactly the kind of person who speaks directly to them. May not go down well with the intelligensia, but he can fairly whip up a unionist frenzy.

RedHand88

Quote from: Rois on November 16, 2018, 12:32:55 AM
My OH was at the NI Food & Drink Assoc dinner tonight and was introduced to wee Jeffrey who was there before The View on BBC. He was introduced by Pat Catney, SDLP MLA, whom Jeffrey admonished in a humorous way for giving him abuse on Twitter - wee Jeff was laughing at it.  Apparently he turned down a glass of wine during the drinks reception because he was on the programme later. Jeff was directly petitioned by a leading business person from the stage (Brian Irwin from Irwin Bakery) to accept the deal. And still went on to tv to patronise the poor stupid misled people he had been sitting with less than an hr earlier.

Given the way the interview on the view went he probably wishes he stayed at the dinner.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on November 16, 2018, 08:08:22 AM
Imagine Mickey Harte pre AIF saying he wanted to win the All Ireland plus 5 marquee forwards.

The DUP are insane
Just listened to a segment on BBC Radio Ulster where they interviewed people at a Shankill Rd community centre. Based on their comments (threatening action like that after the Anglo Irish Agreement), Sammy wilson is exactly the kind of person who speaks directly to them. May not go down well with the intelligensia, but he can fairly whip up a unionist frenzy.
He probably can
But what they want cannot work in the real world.
Everything is always about them and if negotiating with Ireland or London this is understood.
But nobody in Brussels cares about the sensitivities in Ballymena. Neither should they.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

The DUP are insane

If you look back at the flag protests they whipped that up and gave the likes of bryson oxygen. People were lucky not to die - alliance councillors and police officers -and they stirred the whole pot. They are very dangerous people and the language they use in my view is tantamount to incitement of hatred quite regularly. Absolute scumbags.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 15, 2018, 11:59:39 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 15, 2018, 11:31:50 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 15, 2018, 11:00:06 PM
Primetime any good? I assume Brexit was on the agenda. Ironically enough, I have BBC but not RTÉ. Wee Jeffrey on The View at the moment.

Mark destroyed wee Jeff. Interestingly an ex president of the UFU says the DUP are out of line with farmers needs and opinions.

Carruthers is a savage. He smells spin a mile off and goes straight for the jugular. Add jeffrey to his list of casulties.

He's a cold assassin that Carruthers lad, a proper political analyst unlike thon boorish tube Nolan who lacks nuance.

It's time the business people stood up and be heard over here as allegedly May told Gove when she was offering him the Brexit secretary role that there were only three options on the table, this deal, no deal or a second referendum.

I think Coveny has more or less stated the same. Negotiations are over, time to shit or get off the pot UK government.

Applesisapples

Based on the shite football in Dublin last night I'd nearly vote for a hard border myself!

Farrandeelin

With sterling dropping a bit would it be time to change euro?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 16, 2018, 09:23:08 AM
With sterling dropping a bit would it be time to change euro?

Farr

I'd say this crisis will run on for a while. I can't see Theresa pulling a rabbit out of the hat this weekend so if sterling is repriced it will probably stay there until there is a solution.

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on November 16, 2018, 08:40:39 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 15, 2018, 11:59:39 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 15, 2018, 11:31:50 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 15, 2018, 11:00:06 PM
Primetime any good? I assume Brexit was on the agenda. Ironically enough, I have BBC but not RTÉ. Wee Jeffrey on The View at the moment.

Mark destroyed wee Jeff. Interestingly an ex president of the UFU says the DUP are out of line with farmers needs and opinions.

Carruthers is a savage. He smells spin a mile off and goes straight for the jugular. Add jeffrey to his list of casulties.

He's a cold assassin that Carruthers lad, a proper political analyst unlike thon boorish tube Nolan who lacks nuance.

It's time the business people stood up and be heard over here as allegedly May told Gove when she was offering him the Brexit secretary role that there were only three options on the table, this deal, no deal or a second referendum.

I think Coveny has more or less stated the same. Negotiations are over, time to shit or get off the pot UK government.

Nolan is a poor poor presenter and brutal at chairing a discussion. How thon boy earns the millions he does, is beyond me.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2018, 08:39:34 AM

The DUP are insane

If you look back at the flag protests they whipped that up and gave the likes of bryson oxygen. People were lucky not to die - alliance councillors and police officers -and they stirred the whole pot. They are very dangerous people and the language they use in my view is tantamount to incitement of hatred quite regularly. Absolute scumbags.
Settler communities are different to normal societies because there is no historical continuity and identity has to be invented in a room somewhere from elements that someone has to define. It has to be hard coded.
Over time identity changes. Eg in the South there was a shift from strongly catholic to more liberal on gay issues. Societies will debate this stuff and then change. Or they won't.  But it won't lead to existential insecurity.   
But for unionists the hard coding of identity is very hard to change. Take out Queen and Somme and there isn't much left and then what would you replace it with ?
Unionist identity is very fragile.

Settlers tend to be easier to scare the shite out of because they know unconsciously that their people  were outsiders who came in by force. They are easier to manipulate
The next few months will be hard for GB but very hard for Unionists in NI.

trailer

You have to hand it to May. She's like the f**king Terminator. She just keeps going and going. I don't know how you stop her!

Business is starting to come out in support of this deal not, only here in NI but also in GB. If Business gets behind this, and no doubt other political leaders around the world will as well, can they get the support in the Commons? Seems unlikely I know, but the Government ain't giving up.

Tony Baloney

The lady's not for turning.

Solo_run

When she just scraped the general election she was a deadwoman walking but managed to survive.

I can't help but wonder if her intentions at the time was to get the party to support her and see what deal could be made with the EU. If the deal was good then it would make her position safe but if it was viewed as a bad deal then she would be fighting to remain PM.

Now that she has got a deal that does not satisfy many of the brexiteers I am wondering if they want another general election so the poison chalice can be passed on to Labour. I think whatever party sees this brexit deal through will be ruined in the long run.

tiempo

Ulster Farmers Union now telling the DUP to get on board with the deal, they are facked, thank fack.