Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

I see on a couple of Bel Tel links on fb theres a few people lookin Fearon too lolol. Big tube musta been on spoutin about Michael O'Neill

The legend grows

Applesisapples

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 22, 2018, 03:20:02 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 22, 2018, 02:13:45 PM
I would be a huge supporter of Tony, the reverse in fact. But in the case of this thread I don't think he is disrespectful, but as I've said before his humour isn't great. That said the Linger comment and the Do you have to response made me smile. Death is serious enough you gotta laugh sometimes. My fondest memories of my parents wakes were the funny stories about them their lives and the things they got up to, so some humour in death is good. Tony just needs to edit more and up his game.

or do one and give us all peace. Just spot the typo, I would NOT it should read.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2018, 03:32:16 PM
Loved Jimmy Armfield on co-commentary on 5live or before that BBC Radio 2. Great knowledge of the game and completely unbiased. You realised he genuinely loved it. Many the evening he'd have been commentating on games with me listening in my room supposed to be doing my homework. Seemed a real gent.

That's a similar experience to mine. Really informative football man, calm, and got his point across really well. Nearly like sitting beside your grandfather at a match and him explaining the game to you.

T Fearon

There are unconfirmed reports that England World Cup 1966 squad member Jimmy Armfield's last words were "They think it's all over...it is now"

SHEEDY

my earliest memories of football are listening to the bbc radio 2 commentaries and jimmy armfield. he was the voice of football on the radio.
nil satis nisi optimum

magpie seanie

I'll never forget how delighted I was when I discovered BBC Radio 2 as a kid. Got an old radio that used to be my Grandad's and messing around one night came across the pulsing roar of the crowd and realised.....this must be a match! Up to that it was the very occasional live match, the FA Cup final, MOTD and midweek Sportsnight. Saturation coverage has ruined the joy of the game somewhat for me anyway. And the game has changed for the worse in that time also.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2018, 01:27:03 PM
I'll never forget how delighted I was when I discovered BBC Radio 2 as a kid. Got an old radio that used to be my Grandad's and messing around one night came across the pulsing roar of the crowd and realised.....this must be a match! Up to that it was the very occasional live match, the FA Cup final, MOTD and midweek Sportsnight. Saturation coverage has ruined the joy of the game somewhat for me anyway. And the game has changed for the worse in that time also.

I agree. I find myself tuning into a match on radio even though I have it on the Sports channels.

You can have too much of a good thing. And we are indeed saturated by live football.

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on January 23, 2018, 02:34:27 PM

I agree. I find myself tuning into a match on radio even though I have it on the Sports channels.

You can have too much of a good thing. And we are indeed saturated by live football.
I too loved the BBC radio coverage and would rarely miss a midweek or Saturday game they covered. Even with the cruel reception! Highlights on Sportsnight and the ITV one (Midweek Sports Special, I think) was great too.   

Jim Bob

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2018, 05:01:01 PM

I too loved the BBC radio coverage and would rarely miss a midweek or Saturday game they covered. Even with the cruel reception! Highlights on Sportsnight and the ITV one (Midweek Sports Special, I think) was great too.

Late 70s bbc2 radio commentary Alan Parry, Peter Jones and Brian Butler. Brilliant memories !

magpie seanie

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 23, 2018, 09:01:36 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2018, 05:01:01 PM

Late 70s bbc2 radio commentary Alan Parry, Peter Jones and Brian Butler. Brilliant memories !

I'd have listened to any game. Now I can just about bring myself to watch United's games.

Oraisteach

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: BennyCake on January 22, 2018, 04:49:03 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2018, 03:32:16 PM
Loved Jimmy Armfield on co-commentary on 5live or before that BBC Radio 2. Great knowledge of the game and completely unbiased. You realised he genuinely loved it. Many the evening he'd have been commentating on games with me listening in my room supposed to be doing my homework. Seemed a real gent.

That's a similar experience to mine. Really informative football man, calm, and got his point across really well. Nearly like sitting beside your grandfather at a match and him explaining the game to you.
couldn't agree more

red hander

Mark E Smith, The Fall

JoG2

Quote from: red hander on January 24, 2018, 08:24:11 PM
Mark E Smith, The Fall

Had heard he wasn't keeping well of late, was using a wheelchair on stage apparently . Huge output, wasn't a fan but there are some real gems in his back catalogue. RIP