2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 14, 2018, 05:02:04 PM
Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2018, 04:13:04 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 14, 2018, 11:47:21 AM

Yeah, would agree on all that attendance wise.  Anyway, really looking forward to the probable 2 tilts at the Dubs.  We all know our deficiencies at this stage but the present management and squad should learn a lot from playing easily the best team we have seen in quite a while  - its a relatively young squad so I dont see us carrying too much scar tissue into the championship even if the results go the way most pundits expect.

Our manager hasn't always shown himself to be a particularly good or rapid learner; maybe this will be turn for the different.

Kevin Walsh is having a very odd career managing Galway. You sense a lot of people including Galway supporters are still not sure about him. On the face of it he's won a Connacht title, won a division 2 title, gone 5 out of 5 games unbeaten up in divison 1 and beaten Mayo 4 times on the trot. Yet he just can't wash the stink of the complete non-performances against Tipp in 2016 and Roscommon in 2017 off himself.

The heartless display against what proved to be a limited Kerry side last year was worse than either of those performances. Galway looked afraid of their shadows that day.

The other two were much worse performances for me. We actually had lots of goal chances against Kerry. Just missed them all. Think it sucked a bit of belief out of them.

The other two games were just horrendous all round.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 14, 2018, 06:31:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 14, 2018, 05:02:04 PM
Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2018, 04:13:04 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 14, 2018, 11:47:21 AM

Yeah, would agree on all that attendance wise.  Anyway, really looking forward to the probable 2 tilts at the Dubs.  We all know our deficiencies at this stage but the present management and squad should learn a lot from playing easily the best team we have seen in quite a while  - its a relatively young squad so I dont see us carrying too much scar tissue into the championship even if the results go the way most pundits expect.

Our manager hasn't always shown himself to be a particularly good or rapid learner; maybe this will be turn for the different.

Kevin Walsh is having a very odd career managing Galway. You sense a lot of people including Galway supporters are still not sure about him. On the face of it he's won a Connacht title, won a division 2 title, gone 5 out of 5 games unbeaten up in divison 1 and beaten Mayo 4 times on the trot. Yet he just can't wash the stink of the complete non-performances against Tipp in 2016 and Roscommon in 2017 off himself.

The heartless display against what proved to be a limited Kerry side last year was worse than either of those performances. Galway looked afraid of their shadows that day.

The other two were much worse performances for me. We actually had lots of goal chances against Kerry. Just missed them all. Think it sucked a bit of belief out of them.

The other two games were just horrendous all round.

I was at the Kerry match and there was no belief from the Galway players at any stage, they looked like a team that happy enough not to risk shipping a massive loss. This two weeks after being embarrassed at home and a week off a supposed rehab hammering of Donegal. Even in the Connacht final there was a brief moment when Galway threatened a comeback. It was so easy for Kerry they could afford to bring Star out the field after wrecking that poor Walsh lad in the first 20 minutes. If the game was in any doubt Kerry could have just moved him inside and threw a few long balls to him. But it never was.

Walsh's system is very cynical and limited. It's about banging and smashing off the ball and keeping bodies back at all times. Basically he's read Mickey Harte's coaching handbook. I don't think he values possession enough, and definitely not when he has some good ball players who could thrive under a more positive approach. It's always likely to be found out on the big occasions against the better teams.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: TheGreatest on March 14, 2018, 02:27:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 11:36:35 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 14, 2018, 10:56:27 AM
Quote from: cornetto on March 14, 2018, 10:39:48 AM
They say 5000 dubs will be in Pearse stadium Sunday along with 4000 Galway supporters and that's being optimistic!
Personally have  never seen  this Dublin team up close so will go out of curiosity,not expecting a Galway win and hope we don't get destroyed it will be some experience and I think Monahan showed in the first half the chinks that may exist in the system.Galway have the forwards to stay in the game but I think our problem is getting possession.Anyway looking forward to it a loss of 7 pts or under would not be so bad.
Why would so many turn up for what is more or less a dead rubber and where both will be giving a run out to players that haven't started a game so far this year?

When you have population of 1,600,000 five thousand is far from 'so many'.. glorified holiday of those lads so thinking the game or its consequences come into their decision making is fanciful.

Dublin have 20-25K hardcore fans. (Not 1.6 million). There is a lot more to the GAA in Dublin than supporting the county football team. Some hardcore club people never go to a game.

No they don't, just over 13k attended the Carlow game last year and probably about 3k were Carlow fans. This myth that Dublin fans travel is just that a myth with no basis in reality.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 15, 2018, 10:45:28 AM
They say 5000 dubs will be in Pearse stadium Sunday along with 4000 Galway supporters and that's being optimistic!
Personally have  never seen  this Dublin team up close so will go out of curiosity,not expecting a Galway win and hope we don't get destroyed it will be some experience and I think Monahan showed in the first half the chinks that may exist in the system.Galway have the forwards to stay in the game but I think our problem is getting possession.Anyway looking forward to it a loss of 7 pts or under would not be so bad.
Why would so many turn up for what is more or less a dead rubber and where both will be giving a run out to players that haven't started a game so far this year?

When you have population of 1,600,000 five thousand is far from 'so many'.. glorified holiday of those lads so thinking the game or its consequences come into their decision making is fanciful.

Dublin have 20-25K hardcore fans. (Not 1.6 million). There is a lot more to the GAA in Dublin than supporting the county football team. Some hardcore club people never go to a game.

No they don't, just over 13k attended the Carlow game last year and probably about 3k were Carlow fans. This myth that Dublin fans travel is just that a myth with no basis in reality.

+1

TheGreatest

OK Ewan. Possible myth they don't travel although there is a decent traveling bunch, but the real proper supporting fans for home games anyways is 20 to 25K. They rest are bit part fans or blow ins.

If it was a game V Cork in the revamped Pairc in the Super 8s, or Kerry in Thurles, you would see far bigger attendances, they were saving their money as the Carlow game was a forgone conclusion Ewan.

Dinny Breen

Ewan? Are you trying to insult me, MacKenna isn't a particular fan of rugby and I just think he's a wannabe contrarian arsehole. His whole financial doping crusade he robbed from here, it's been an argument of mine probably 7 years now more or less since Dublin moved homes to CP.

Anyway Dublin's support is relative to their population and of course their success, better than Kerry, Kildare, Galway & Donegal, on a par with Tyrone but worst than Monaghan and Mayo. 

We are probably due a great Dublin migration, last one was Thurles in 2001 before that Pairc Uí Chaoimh in 1983.
#newbridgeornowhere

Tyrdub

I remember that occasion in 1983 very well, standing on "hill 17" with my dad.
i think the Dubs do travel in very good numbers, more so now due to the winning team

Kurtz

Quote from: Tyrdub on March 15, 2018, 01:54:23 PM
I remember that occasion in 1983 very well, standing on "hill 17" with my dad.
i think the Dubs do travel in very good numbers, more so now due to the winning team

That game in 1983 was fantastic
Up there with any of good games of today

Beffs

In fairness, they were playing Carlow. Not the most nail biting of ties.

A knock out game against Kerry, Mayo etc in Castlebar, Killarney etc, or a neutal venue like Semple or the new Stade de Frank, would draw a much bigger crowd of Dubs.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Beffs on March 15, 2018, 02:56:22 PM

A knock out game against Kerry, Mayo etc in Castlebar, Killarney etc, or a neutal venue like Semple or the new Stade de Frank, would draw a much bigger crowd of Dubs.

Mayo fans travel regardless of who they are playing, Kildare played Limerick in a qualifier in the same stadium and there was 16k at it, Dublin are not good at traveling outside the M50. Your comment just confirms the bandwagon factor.
#newbridgeornowhere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Beffs on March 15, 2018, 02:56:22 PM

I think that's a fair enough assessment.  A good hardcore of Dub supporters will follow the team to any venue, as long that is as they can expect entertainment.  I would be surprised if 10,000 went to the Carlow game in question. In fairness, the fans of many other s counties have to keep an eye in what they spend and I doubt if even Mayo fans would fill the ground if their team had been in Carlow instead of Dublin.
It's a pity that the Dub s team attracts a gurrier element and that all get tarred with the same brush as a result but the rare oul' Dub is as genuine a sportsman (woman?) as you'll find anywhere.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

Mayo have about 3-4k 'hard core' support that travel to away games mix that with semi hard core who go to 1 or 2  league games a year and another few hundred who might go if things are going really well and you could have up to 6k away supports from mayo
its not that long ago since I sat all alone at one side of the pitch in clones as mayo played fermanagh inforntof about 500 people,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Open to correction but didn't the Mayo traveling support only became big in 2012 as I recall a small enough crowd at the All Ireland quarter final against what was the defending champions at the time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 15, 2018, 04:52:24 PM
Open to correction but didn't the Mayo traveling support only became big in 2012 as I recall a small enough crowd at the All Ireland quarter final against what was the defending champions at the time.

Mayo played Down in the quarter final in 2012 and their was a very small contingent from Mayo their that day, probably only a few thousand. The game against Cork was in 11.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 15, 2018, 05:35:14 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 15, 2018, 04:52:24 PM

Mayo played Down in the quarter final in 2012 and their was a very small contingent from Mayo their that day, probably only a few thousand. The game against Cork was in 11.
Yes i know that game v Cork was 2011. From what i see Mayo have been getting big traveling support to their games ever since beating Dublin in the AI semi final 2012.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose