Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therealdonald

Looking back at the weekend. Either Harte drops all 3 in the full forward line or he drops none. I hope to God, that Lee Brennan starts in place of McShane but thats just a personal choice. This will be some humdinger of a game.

trailer

McShane doesn't have the work rate or skill for the role. If he had either he be ok, but for me, he doesn't do enough. Missed a great goal chance as well. Loughran for example got one chance and he took it. Them's the margins at this level.

omagh_gael

Quote from: trailer on August 06, 2018, 04:25:18 PM
McShane doesn't have the work rate or skill for the role. If he had either he be ok, but for me, he doesn't do enough. Missed a great goal chance as well. Loughran for example got one chance and he took it. Them's the margins at this level.

To be fair McShane's chance was very difficult. He had a half volley with a defender putting on serious pressure from behind, although I thought his soccer pedigree would have made a difference! Furthermore, Lee Brennan had the easiest goal chance of all and skied it over the bar!

tonto1888

Quote from: Schkite on August 05, 2018, 10:38:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 05, 2018, 10:12:05 PM
Will Monaghan have their usual Croke Park melt down?

Like we did this year already?

Wasn't the same circumstances was it? So I will ask again, will you avoid your usual meltdown in Croke Park. FWIW I hope you do

Main Street

Dick Clerkin pens an article of some interest from Killarney, post Kerry championship exit,  on part of the challenge that Monaghan need to address
Monaghan must get ready to deal with Tyrone cynicism in order to earn our first real championship contender stripe of the year.

Perhaps from a neutral's perspective, Dick is slightly blinkered in this matter, but most everybody would have to admit that Dick would be a very knowledgeable chap on matters of the dark arts.

Schkite

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 06, 2018, 04:33:35 PM

Wasn't the same circumstances was it? So I will ask again, will you avoid your usual meltdown in Croke Park. FWIW I hope you do

Well we're not playing Dublin so I would hope we would avoid it yeah. The two quarter finals against them are the only times you could really say we had a "meltdown". The defeats to Tyrone, disappointing though they were, weren't in the same category at all. Sure they had their own meltdown against Dublin last year too.

straightred

I left the Dublin game in Omagh thinking Tyrone were at least 2 scoring forwards short of being serious AI challengers. Brennan might be one but I don't see another. Monaghan obviously have Mcmanus but they also have better options around him if tyrone do manage to wrap him up. Monaghan also have the 1/4 final monkey off their back and the so called croker park monkey having won there twice this year. Its a golden opportunity for them to reach a final and I expect them to take it. Monaghan by 4

lenny

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 06, 2018, 03:52:12 PM
Richard Donnelly and McAliskey would have to go before McShane.  I actually think McShane has done really well this season and seems to have a hand in a lot of scores.

Donnelly and mcaliskey were v poor on sunday but have had good seasons. Mcgeary is the one player who has to start, he was sensational when he came on.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tonto1888

Quote from: Schkite on August 06, 2018, 05:59:50 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 06, 2018, 04:33:35 PM

Well we're not playing Dublin so I would hope we would avoid it yeah. The two quarter finals against them are the only times you could really say we had a "meltdown". The defeats to Tyrone, disappointing though they were, weren't in the same category at all. Sure they had their own meltdown against Dublin last year too.

Would you ccall losing to Dublin a meltdown? Like I said, I hope you overcome whatever hoodoo Tyrone have over you in Croke Park but I can't see it

Jayop

I think Skeet has enough in the Bank from the earlier rounds to keep him in the team for Monaghan..

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jayop on August 06, 2018, 08:27:48 PM
I think Skeet has enough in the Bank from the earlier rounds to keep him in the team for Monaghan..

He probably does and it wouldnt be Harte's style to drop him like that plus he had a good day out in Omagh,  but.... the thing is he is confidence player and he's on a low ebb at the moment. Tho dropping him would shatter the confidence altogether.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on August 06, 2018, 07:45:16 PM
Can see Harte starting the same side again.

What about Meyler? He didn't look like a man who'd be ready for a game in six days coming off in Ballybofey.

RedHand88

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2018, 09:00:38 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 06, 2018, 07:45:16 PM
Can see Harte starting the same side again.

What about Meyler? He didn't look like a man who'd be ready for a game in six days coming off in Ballybofey.

Any word today on him?

Jayop

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 06, 2018, 08:56:28 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 06, 2018, 08:27:48 PM

He probably does and it wouldnt be Harte's style to drop him like that plus he had a good day out in Omagh,  but.... the thing is he is confidence player and he's on a low ebb at the moment. Tho dropping him would shatter the confidence altogether.

Agreed 100%. It's such a pity him and Ronan O'Neill are so streaky because on their day both are class forwards but they both can miss the simplest of chances when they're not on form and that's what happened to Skeet after missing the first free. I'd never have let him take the second one.

Really looking forward to this game. it should be another titanic battle with 2/3 points of a difference with a few minutes to go. There's arguments for both teams to be favourites. Monaghan have beat Tyrone twice this year but we've beat them the three times we've played them in Croke Park. This is Monaghan's first semi-final in decades but Tyrone have lost the last 5 semi's we've been in. Monaghan have one of the best forwards in the game but Tyrone have racked up scores from all over the pitch.

I'd be less confident here than I was against Donegal. Probably would bet on Tyrone winning narrowly with some big controversy thrown in if I had to but very little between these sides.

Whoever wins I'll be shouting for in September anyway.