Irish News Ulster All-Stars

Started by bennydorano, September 12, 2008, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Given out last night at the Armagh City Hotel.

1.Ronan Gallagher
2.Shane Goan
3.Francie Bellew
4.Justin McMahon
5.Ryan McMenamin
6.Ryan McCluskey
7.Ciaran McKeever
8.Martin McGrath
9.Enda McGinley
10.Brian Dooher
11.Sean Cavanagh
12.Mark Little
13.Steven McDonnell
14.Ronan Clarke
15.Thomas Freeman

Biased and all as I am I'd say Ronan Clarke probably choked on his prawn sandwiches when Marty McGrath was named Player of the Year.  Surprised Paul McGrane didn't get one.

The GAA

If they are based on the ulster championship then fermanagh would be wntitled to their representation and there should be no tyrone players. however, if it is based on overall performances then tyrone should be dominating the team.

Over the Bar

Is there really much interest in these awards or is it just another excuse to get a penguin suit on?

JMohan

Tommy Freeman didn't deserve one this year

Onion Bag

Dan Gordon had 3 great games in Ulster, he should have got one before Enda Mc Ginley
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Doire abú

I believe its supposed to be based on the league Ulster Championship, qualifiers and AI Championship up to the final.

T O Hare

Dan Gordon deseverd one and i thought Ronan Clarke was a cert for player of the year!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

JMohan

Quote from: Doire abú on September 12, 2008, 12:55:14 PM
I believe its supposed to be based on the league Ulster Championship, qualifiers and AI Championship up to the final.
Well if it was anyway based on the League then Derry should feel well miffed not to recieve even one

stpauls

i always thought it was just based on performances in the Ulster Championship!! if that is the case, then there is no way Enda McGinley should be in there before Dan Gordon, though i do rate McGinley very highly. definately thought clarke should have got player of POTY though!

T Fearon

How many Tyrone players would have got an award had they not beaten Dublin? In effect Tyrone have been unduly rewarded for winning just two games. I myself had both Benny Coulter and Aidan Carr in my team and gave Clarke the vote for footballer of the year.

Down Gael

Dan Gordon has been the best midfielder in Ulster all year. Dominated in both games against Tyrone and really only had one poor game against Wexford, but didnt get an award.
Mark Little??? WTF, couldnt score in a brothel on his stag night with a bag of fivers.
Francie? Who picked this team? Big Joe?
Freeman? Is it 2007?

JMohan

To be honest if it's from the Ulster Championship I'd be handing out one (Dooher) max to Tyrone.
I also thought McKeever had one very good game against Down, but I thought he wasn't special in the other games.
I'd also have given one to Niall McCusker as Full Back ahead of Francie.
Paul McGrane instead of McGinley

full back

Does anyone know exactly what the criteria is
Going by the team it seems to be the Ulster & the Qualifiers. The league seems to be ignored.
Although isnt it the readers votes that are counted?

RMDrive

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on September 12, 2008, 01:06:37 PM
The winning team was the one I picked - do I get a biscuit.

I believe you get your choice of Kimberly, Mikado or Coconut Cream. Enjoy.

Over the Bar

QuoteTo be honest if it's from the Ulster Championship I'd be handing out one (Dooher) max to Tyrone.

Obviously it;s not just the Ulster Championship so more than likely Ulster players through-out the league & championship/qualifiers competions, much in the same way as the BOI All-Stars.    Enda McGinley has been Tyrone's most consistent player thoughout winter & summer and fully deserving of the award.