Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

neither CJ nor Kevin stayed for long enough periods to make this list - by the way, a very interesting diversion on a discussion board! - James Loughrey one of the best and wouldn't it be great to have seen him playing even longer too. Tony Scullion is in that space where quality meets longevity, Mick McCann definitely on the shortlist. He was at the top of his game in successive promotions in 09 and 2010. Kevin O'B...Justin Crozier, Kevin Niblock, Paddy Cunningham, Tomas as well and those last two back on board.

Looking further back, Lenny was one of our best flair players, Donal Armstrong when we won the B championship, Aidan Donnelly, Mackers, Whitey with his overhead point!

This really is a talking point for an evening over a few pints.....

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 31, 2019, 08:57:38 PM
talking about best ever players is near impossible when comparing era's
Best stab would by decade - for starters

90s - Ciaran O'Neill, Aidan Donnelly, Terry McCrudden, John Rafferty
00s - Kevin Brady, Kevin McGourty,Sean Kelly,
10's - Michael McCann, CJ McGourty,Paddy Cunningam

i still think that Michael McCann is a class act. hes the best player on the ball that Cargin have had this past lot of years.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 01, 2019, 08:33:55 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 31, 2019, 08:57:38 PM
talking about best ever players is near impossible when comparing era's
Best stab would by decade - for starters

90s - Ciaran O'Neill, Aidan Donnelly, Terry McCrudden, John Rafferty
00s - Kevin Brady, Kevin McGourty,Sean Kelly,
10's - Michael McCann, CJ McGourty,Paddy Cunningam

i still think that Michael McCann is a class act. hes the best player on the ball that Cargin have had this past lot of years.
When I started this I had in mind what the player did for club and county - Paul McErlain,JOE QuinnDOnal Armstrong and Eddie Quinn should be added to my 90s list

imtommygunn

Sean Kelly at club level was probably as good as there was about in the country for a few years. At county he suffered a bit from plugging a gap at corner back and not playing where he would do his best job. I think this has happened a few of our players over the years as we have struggled to produce corner backs and have produced more half backs.(Oddly the same seems to happen in hurling)

Ronan Hamill wasn't bad either IIRC. Stephen Mulvenna in his era when he wasn't playing for Derry lol.

While Tony Scullion maybe wasn't quite as skillful as some of our best I think he has done more for Antrim than most with his engine and heart. Eddie Quinn was probably the best club player about for a while but didn't play too many years for the county IIRC.

aontroim

Quote from: The Gs Man on October 30, 2019, 01:43:30 PM
Any word on what the underage structure is this year?  Is it sticking with U14's/U16's or moving to 13's/15's?

Age groups for 2020

Following central councils adoption of the "Academy Report" in June 2019, a direction was issued by An Ard Stiúrthóir on 2nd October 2019.

In that correspondence the Ard Stiúrthóir confirmed that the " Association Policy" was to change the age groups  to u13.u15 and u17 for 2020, but noted that other grades  i.e. 14, 16, and 18  could be allowed subject to prior approval from Central council.

Given that this is a policy and not a rule confusion exists thought-out the country

Its anticipated that a range of motions will be put to congress in Feb 2020 setting the 13,15 and 17 age groups into rule commencing Jan 2021 ( it's highly unlikely that they could be delivered any earlier as most counties will have competition schedules in place by the time congress meets in Feb 2020).

The County Chairman, Ciarán Mc Cavana, has been taking soundings  from both inside and outside the county over the last few weeks.

Based on that engagement  Antrim GAA will be retaining  the current u14 u16 and u18 age grades for 2020 .

whatwillbwillb

Disappointing not to see a " Call to Arms" in relation to supporting the Antrim representatives " Naomh Seamas" today at Corrigan in their bid with the Ulster intermediate 1/4 final on the county website...... wouldn't have taken much effort to post something about a rather small club in the south west of the county!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on November 03, 2019, 08:02:48 AM
Disappointing not to see a " Call to Arms" in relation to supporting the Antrim representatives " Naomh Seamas" today at Corrigan in their bid with the Ulster intermediate 1/4 final on the county website...... wouldn't have taken much effort to post something about a rather small club in the south west of the county!

Seen loads of links to it on Antrim's Facebook page, it would get more views than the Antrim
Website
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Sean Kelly dosent miss many games and I'd be surprised if he wasnt the first man at Corrigan Pk and the last to leave, so hopefully Naomh Seamas will provide him with plenty of positive news to report, and if Aldergrove progress further in the competition  no doubt the PR will build accordingly.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on November 03, 2019, 08:02:48 AM

i think thats pretty inaccurate there when you consider the coverage that was given on twitter and other social media platforms by the County for the game. the website is more or less an information service now as social media is based on twitter, FB and Instagram now these days.

the Aldergrove pages were rallying good support and had the support from other clubs as well wishing them well.
hurl like f**k boi!

The Gs Man

Quote from: aontroim on November 01, 2019, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on October 30, 2019, 01:43:30 PM
Any word on what the underage structure is this year?  Is it sticking with U14's/U16's or moving to 13's/15's?

Age groups for 2020

Following central councils adoption of the "Academy Report" in June 2019, a direction was issued by An Ard Stiúrthóir on 2nd October 2019.

In that correspondence the Ard Stiúrthóir confirmed that the " Association Policy" was to change the age groups  to u13.u15 and u17 for 2020, but noted that other grades  i.e. 14, 16, and 18  could be allowed subject to prior approval from Central council.

Given that this is a policy and not a rule confusion exists thought-out the country

Its anticipated that a range of motions will be put to congress in Feb 2020 setting the 13,15 and 17 age groups into rule commencing Jan 2021 ( it's highly unlikely that they could be delivered any earlier as most counties will have competition schedules in place by the time congress meets in Feb 2020).

The County Chairman, Ciarán Mc Cavana, has been taking soundings  from both inside and outside the county over the last few weeks.

Based on that engagement  Antrim GAA will be retaining  the current u14 u16 and u18 age grades for 2020 .

Good man, thanks.
Keep 'er lit

Belfast GAA man

Well what do we think of Gaelfast so far?
Looks like it is active in the weak areas/clubs Colin Gaels , Ardoyne Pearses , Lower Falls , Larne and staying away from areas with stronger clubs. That's the right approach and looks like it's getting stronger all the Times

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 06, 2019, 04:24:47 PM
Looks like it is active in the weak areas/clubs Colin Gaels , Ardoyne Pearses , Lower Falls , Larne and staying away from areas with stronger clubs. That's the right approach and looks like it's getting stronger all the Times

Be wasting their time promoting football in a hurling only club

NAG1

Kind of wonder what you are basing this on?
I would have thought the opposite.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: NAG1 on November 07, 2019, 09:18:30 AM

Sarsfields, Rossa N Pol etc have teams at all ages and codes,  I think, so they are trying to make more clubs like that rather than go to the strong areas/clubs then you will have more kids playing overall. DO u think they should be in strong areas more?

NAG1

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 07, 2019, 10:03:56 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on November 07, 2019, 09:18:30 AM

Sarsfields, Rossa N Pol etc have teams at all ages and codes,  I think, so they are trying to make more clubs like that rather than go to the strong areas/clubs then you will have more kids playing overall. DO u think they should be in strong areas more?

I would like to fact check that 'at all ages all codes' point there for those three clubs for starters.

Point being you picked three of the biggest clubs who traditionally have under performed in recent years. My point is they should be helping/ advising the stronger clubs but pretty much leaving them as they are and concentrating on the weaker clubs who are struggling. From what I have seen and IMO this has not happened as of yet.

Not knocking their work because it is going to be a slow process which will take years, just merely looking at what I have seen to date.