Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Don't think it's even a worthy debate.. the snowflake generations in the 26 might feel different...might have changed their minds...happy with their lot...

charlieTully

How disheartening it is to read some of the comments on here from supposed gaels.

illdecide

Quote from: charlieTully on March 09, 2019, 08:33:56 AM
How disheartening it is to read some of the comments on here from supposed gaels.

Yip i concur, although it's not surprising TBH based on years of reading this crap on the board and conversations with so called Irish men around the country...very disappointing.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Itchy

Quote from: illdecide on March 09, 2019, 08:45:42 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on March 09, 2019, 08:33:56 AM

Yip i concur, although it's not surprising TBH based on years of reading this crap on the board and conversations with so called Irish men around the country...very disappointing.

The Celtic tiger turned many in the south into people who measure everything in terms of money and wealth.

ardtole

If there was a referendum in the 26 counties regarding a United Ireland in the next 6 months, I'd be surprised if more than 40% voted in favour. Unfortunately, I think I am being generous with 40%, particularly in urban areas.

Rossfan

People will vote as they want to if/When there's a Referendum on  changing the status of the 6 Cos.
The GAA will and should get on with their business of promoting/running their games.
Nonsense about betrayal and people not being Irishmen is just that -Nonsense.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

Quote from: Rossfan on March 09, 2019, 09:28:57 AM
People will vote as they want to if/When there's a Referendum on  changing the status of the 6 Cos.
The GAA will and should get on with their business of promoting/running their games.
Nonsense about betrayal and people not being Irishmen is just that -Nonsense.

That's our whole point...you guys look on us as Brits or half Irish men and not fellow Country men and couldn't care less what happens the occupied 6 as long as you are ok and it doesn't effect you, sure if it's not broken don't fix it attitude.
TBH the GAA will prob have the same attitude too, hard afraid of offending someone ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossfan

Some ill informed sweeping generalisations there!!!!

At present only 1 party is calling for a "Border poll" as they have nothing to offer anyone except a catchy slogan.
If/When such a Referendum takes place the official GAA will not be  campaigning.

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on March 09, 2019, 10:52:57 AM

At present only 1 party is calling for a "Border poll" as they have nothing to offer anyone except a catchy slogan.
If/When such a Referendum takes place the official GAA will not be  campaigning.

Why would the 'official GAA' , whatever that means, go against their own statement re: a 32 county Ireland.

Bit silly by people saying the GAA should stay out of the ref., if it happens.

The Gaa need to be strongly promoting the re-unification of our country.

The GAA needs to be the GAA in what it stands for unlike the partitionalist RTÉ.

Rossfan

GAA is very strong at doing what it stands for = Promoting the National games.

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on March 09, 2019, 12:52:23 PM

Just that - I must be mistaken.  It mustn"t include the strengthen tof the National Identity then! 

Too many west brits on this forum -' Ireland' stops at Newry through to Derry.  We look at RTÉ as an example. 

What must the founders of the GAA, never mind the men and women of 1916 be thinking now, with people saying the GAA should stay 'neutral' on a reunificitation vote?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on March 09, 2019, 10:52:57 AM

Maybe they will, you don't know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Maybe......
But not if Shinners keep hectoring them ;)

weareros

Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2019, 01:04:59 PM

Just that - I must be mistaken.  It mustn"t include the strengthen tof the National Identity then! 

Too many west brits on this forum -' Ireland' stops at Newry through to Derry.  We look at RTÉ as an example. 

What must the founders of the GAA, never mind the men and women of 1916 be thinking now, with people saying the GAA should stay 'neutral' on a reunificitation vote?

I wouldn't call it staying neutral. Put it this way - if the the DUP, the Orange Order, IFA, Linfield are the ones campaigning for preservation of Union, they will sway no nationalists. Likewise, if the those campaigning for UI are GAA, SF, FF, FG, they will sway little to no Unionists necessary to put vote over 50%. I would hope when border poll comes as it will, we will be a little smarter on who should be the voices of a new Ireland. The membership of GAA are already 100% in the UI camp, and are not necessary to help win this vote.

marty34

Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2019, 04:02:15 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2019, 01:04:59 PM

I wouldn't call it staying neutral. Put it this way - if the the DUP, the Orange Order, IFA, Linfield are the ones campaigning for preservation of Union, they will sway no nationalists. Likewise, if the those campaigning for UI are GAA, SF, FF, FG, they will sway little to no Unionists necessary to put vote over 50%. I would hope when border poll comes as it will, we will be a little smarter on who should be the voices of a new Ireland. The membership of GAA are already 100% in the UI camp, and are not necessary to help win this vote.

I would be very doubtful if 100% of GAA members, north or south are 'already' in the re-UI camp. It's all the 'wrong time at the minute' 'things are going well 'up there, so don't rock the boat' etc. etc. I.e. west brit partitionist mentality. Irishmen my big toe.  Even a lot of northern nationalists are the same - west brits.

Re: Unionists etc. I couldn't care less. They had a chance for nearly 100 years to look after nationalists but they treated us with distain and neglect.  They set up death squads, didn't give us jobs and build all the good infrastructure east of the Bann.  We see now all about the state sponsored murders and collusion - widespread and every single nationalist will tell you this.  They know - whether they are green or light green.

Not it's coming to an end - I couldn't care less about them.  They didn't respect nationalists for nearly 100years...they're hardly going to listen now.

The days of keeping your head down e.g. the Larne or Coleraine catholic are over.