The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

just out of interest mountrath1 are you working with that minor team in a voluntary capacity or are you on an earner?

I watched the 2016 minor team in the two championship games in 2016. They were naïve and lost a game in tullamore that was there for the taking.  The second game against Dublin was an eye opener. I can stomach getting beat by a better team, and Dublin were superior across the park. What I was not impressed by was the physical shape of the Laois team compared to Dublin,  surely the element of physical conditioning should be a level playing field in this day and age. I hope that aspect is addressed with the 2017 squad and we do wish them well. 

Don Draper

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on March 06, 2017, 11:29:23 PM
just out of interest mountrath1 are you working with that minor team in a voluntary capacity or are you on an earner?

I watched the 2016 minor team in the two championship games in 2016. They were naïve and lost a game in tullamore that was there for the taking.  The second game against Dublin was an eye opener. I can stomach getting beat by a better team, and Dublin were superior across the park. What I was not impressed by was the physical shape of the Laois team compared to Dublin,  surely the element of physical conditioning should be a level playing field in this day and age. I hope that aspect is addressed with the 2017 squad and we do wish them well.
You'd like to think so, but Dublin are on another stratosphere. Underage players with food cards, and stores to go to, to get their supplements and groceries. Its terrifying when you actually see inside their set up. You'd wonder why we bother.

redsetanta

Where'd you hear that about the food cards Don?
There's no doubt that the sleeping giant that is Dublin have got their act together with regard to their underage structures and while it's great for Dublin and the GAA, it's not great for the competitiveness of the game in Leinster.  You can talk about unearthing talent all you want but there are only 4 aces in a pack of cards and if you hold 44 of those cards there's a far better chance you have the aces. Anyhow that's an argument for another thread!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on March 07, 2017, 09:48:04 AM
Where'd you hear that about the food cards Don?
There's no doubt that the sleeping giant that is Dublin have got their act together with regard to their underage structures and while it's great for Dublin and the GAA, it's not great for the competitiveness of the game in Leinster.  You can talk about unearthing talent all you want but there are only 4 aces in a pack of cards and if you hold 44 of those cards there's a far better chance you have the aces. Anyhow that's an argument for another thread!
From a Dublin underage nutritionist and development squad coach. The food card basically allows them/their parents cheaper/free, fruit/healthy foods from certain stores around Dublin. Its a gamechanger.

blueandwhite1

The minor setup in Laois for the last few years has been very professional. They train like senior inter county players and have all the nutrition, conditioning coaches, physios etc. that could be wanted. You could even argue that there is a bit too much fluff and not enough hurling / hard graft.

I think the reserved caution around this years minors is that they weren't particularly successful in various competitions in earlier years (Tony Forrestal, Arrabawn, etc. etc.). Indications from the Schools A games and Mountrath CS results this year where most of team comes from were also that this team would struggle. There is also a view that the teams coming behind them U-15 to U-17 are a bit stronger.

That doesn't mean we won't be wishing them well.

Easy to find 20 physical and skillful hurlers when you have 50,000 odd kids hurling at schools level in Dublin. Tipp seemingly have a couple of 100 candidates to pick from for their minor panel every year as do KK and Cork. We have to find and motivate the best from a small pool so there will be some years where we have stronger teams than others but all deserve support.

Keyser Söze

I see from the Leinster Express website that we have a player from both Galmoy and Roscrea lining out?
Precedent for Galmoy, but Roscrea?!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

hurlingmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 09, 2017, 06:42:41 PM
I see from the Leinster Express website that we have a player from both Galmoy and Roscrea lining out?
The Roscrea player is Enda Parlon who from Ballaghmore I believe, The work of Arien Delaney as he is expected to be playing adult level with Kyle unless he gets a transfer of course should he decide he wants one

Keyser Söze

Quote from: hurlingmad on March 09, 2017, 08:30:55 PM
The Roscrea player is Enda Parlon who from Ballaghmore I believe, The work of Arien Delaney as he is expected to be playing adult level with Kyle unless he gets a transfer of course should he decide he wants one

If he is a Roscrea player he will not need a transfer?
Is Arien involved with the minors? I thought he turned the job down?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

hurlingmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 10, 2017, 12:14:45 AM

As it is underage he will be grand(i think) as kyle dont have underage hurling and he has been playing with Laois since u15/16 as far as i know and thats when Arien was involved

blueandwhite1

Quote from: hurlingmad on March 10, 2017, 06:09:43 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 10, 2017, 12:14:45 AM

And Ballaghmore is in County Laois so it is not as if he is an import.

As it is underage he will be grand(i think) as kyle dont have underage hurling and he has been playing with Laois since u15/16 as far as i know and thats when Arien was involved

redsetanta

Any reason why he isn't playing for Borris? I assume he must have gone to primary school in Roscrea aswell and has friends/links there so.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

hurlingmad

Quote from: redsetanta on March 10, 2017, 12:35:52 PM
Any reason why he isn't playing for Borris? I assume he must have gone to primary school in Roscrea aswell and has friends/links there so.
He goes to school in mountrath so it is a perplexing case really

BallyroanAbbey

weny to the ballinakill abbeyleix match yesterday as is thought it would be competitive after the disaster i witnessed that morning in the heath, total mismatch ballinakill missing a lot, but did notice they were playing 2 slieve margy players, meaning that the result might be the least of their problems

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on March 13, 2017, 09:26:09 AM
weny to the ballinakill abbeyleix match yesterday as is thought it would be competitive after the disaster i witnessed that morning in the heath, total mismatch ballinakill missing a lot, but did notice they were playing 2 slieve margy players, meaning that the result might be the least of their problems
Why?

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on March 13, 2017, 09:26:09 AM

Ballinakill as in the Ballinakill Park Ratheniska Gaels u16 team?

Slieve Margey players are cleared to play in this amalgamation,if that's what your on about.

The Portlaoise u16's conceded their game also.