Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Car insurance does not get me mainly because its a larger amount and aware of when it comes out. House insurances get me everytime though!

Harold Disgracey

Anyone able to offer any advice?

My son will be starting UL in a few weeks. Currently he is a named driver on one of 2 policies in my name. I had intended amending the policy to have him as the main driver so he could take the car down with him. I contacted my insurance company to see if this was ok only to be informed they don't insure people down south for an extended period and that I would have to re-register the car down south and get insurance there. I had assumed I wouldn't have to do this as his main residence would still be at home. Anyone had to do anything like this before or how much it would cost to register the car, a 2012 1.6 Seat Leon diesel, or how much insurance would cost for a 18 year old who passed the test a year ago?

TabClear

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 23, 2019, 04:15:25 PM

My son will be starting UL in a few weeks. Currently he is a named driver on one of 2 policies in my name. I had intended amending the policy to have him as the main driver so he could take the car down with him. I contacted my insurance company to see if this was ok only to be informed they don't insure people down south for an extended period and that I would have to re-register the car down south and get insurance there. I had assumed I wouldn't have to do this as his main residence would still be at home. Anyone had to do anything like this before or how much it would cost to register the car, a 2012 1.6 Seat Leon diesel, or how much insurance would cost for a 18 year old who passed the test a year ago?

Sounds to me like the car is only for his use at the weekend (at home obviously) and he only takes it to college once in a blue moon.....

thebigfella

Quote from: TabClear on August 23, 2019, 05:05:48 PM

Sounds to me like the car is only for his use at the weekend (at home obviously) and he only takes it to college once in a blue moon.....

Generally you are only insured to stay max 3 nights in a row for work (and college). Any claims and you would be asked to prove that you weren't over that.

Not all underwriters allow it either, so you need to be explicit that you will  be doing cross border travel or effectively youmay not be insured.

Also your have to careful on not being caught by customs, so you would be better off changing it. You might have been able to avoid VRT if it was in your son's name 6 months prior.

armaghniac

Quote from: thebigfella on August 23, 2019, 05:25:29 PM
Also your have to careful on not being caught by customs, so you would be better off changing it. You might have been able to avoid VRT if it was in your son's name 6 months prior.

There is no problem whatsoever with customs, students are not normally resident. A flip side of this is that a student probably couldn't import a car VRT free as they are not regarded as having changed residence.
You just need an appropriate insurance company. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

And ye'll need Green cards from 1st November if the Clown in Dow ing St gets his way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

We will just stop going to your part of the world.

armaghniac

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 23, 2019, 08:04:42 PM
We will just stop going to your part of the world.

You likely won't be able to afford it.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: armaghniac on August 23, 2019, 06:23:35 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on August 23, 2019, 05:25:29 PM

There is no problem whatsoever with customs, students are not normally resident. A flip side of this is that a student probably couldn't import a car VRT free as they are not regarded as having changed residence.
You just need an appropriate insurance company.

Any recommendations for an insurance company? I'll take a run over to Monaghan on Monday to see if any of the insurance companies there can help.

I already have a green card from my current insurance company.

armaghniac

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 24, 2019, 01:56:46 PM
Any recommendations for an insurance company? I'll take a run over to Monaghan on Monday to see if any of the insurance companies there can help.

I already have a green card from my current insurance company.

The country is full off people working in Dublin who have "finessed" this requirement, so it might be hard to find the right answer.
I'd try some insurance companies that operate on both sides , e.g. NI Allianz should be able to provide you with a policy for what Allianz would charge a person in Limerick or split the difference. I'd  say there is an insurance broker somewhere in the border area with insight into this. Or maybe somewhere in the student union world there is useful information.

It will be very expensive for a 18 year old.

My guess is that you will get people bullshitting you about customs, so here is the statement about students
https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/temporary-exemption.aspx
I'd keep a copy of this to hand in the yoke.

A  student is non-resident, so probably wouldn't be strictly entitled to own a southern car anyway, in case someone suggests this.

Owen Brannigan

Stop mollycoddling him.  Put him on the train from Portydown with his suitcase and tell him you'll see him at Christmas. If you must take more of an interest leave him down and buy him a bike with a good lock. Remember how it was in your day.

In all seriousness do you really want an inexperienced 18 year old traversing the length of the country on his own given the state of driving south of the border and a northern plated car attracting the local hoods?

Rossfan

"The State of driving South of the Border"
The feckin partitionist cheek from the home of dangerous aggressive driving.

That said it would be cheaper and safer to send an 18 year old by train or bus.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Insurance for an 18 year would be very expensive, you might get an 18 year old living at home added to your policy but if he is 300 Km away the insurance company know rightly that you have no control over the car. Given that the student will likely be living on campus, 10 mins walk from class, a car would be a bit of a luxury. That money would get a great laptop, first class rail travel back to Portadown whenever required and an Interrail for the summer and enough left over for a nice phone.

Jim Bob

Anyone explain this one cos I can't

Next door neighbour buys a car in July and transfers her insurance from her old car to it. She holds onto her old car as her son is doing his test and wants it for him to have. He passes his test fortnight ago ,  gets car through the MOT, gets it transferred into his name but when he goes to insure with Axa they won't insure it because his mother didn't Sorn it in July when she transferred the insurance to her new car. The old car is in great nick. It is clearly road worthy as it has just passed its MOT.

What is Axas problem ?

screenexile

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 15, 2019, 06:28:42 PM
Anyone explain this one cos I can't

Next door neighbour buys a car in July and transfers her insurance from her old car to it. She holds onto her old car as her son is doing his test and wants it for him to have. He passes his test fortnight ago ,  gets car through the MOT, gets it transferred into his name but when he goes to insure with Axa they won't insure it because his mother didn't Sorn it in July when she transferred the insurance to her new car. The old car is in great nick. It is clearly road worthy as it has just passed its MOT.

What is Axas problem ?

Technically they're right the car was illegal for 4 months.

You may contact DVANI and see if you can retrospectively SORN it.