Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: GlenMan on August 09, 2018, 11:47:13 PM
Quote from: giveherlong on August 09, 2018, 10:35:20 PM
Quote from: TabClear on August 09, 2018, 01:32:51 PM
Quote from: square_ball on August 09, 2018, 01:22:44 PM
As far as I know as long as there has been no games conceded to the teams involved throughout the season then it goes to score difference. Otherwise it's a playoff.

You'd imagine the championship will be between eskra and clogher so a chance of revenge for the eskra men there.

Cheers SB, that makes sense.

Would nt be too sure about the Championship being a 2 horse race. As Killeshil proved at Eskra any of the top 5 or 6 in Div 3 could turn them over in a single game.

Errigal Thirds could be a darkhorse albeit they have a tricky opening tie against Drumragh.

Errigal strong contender for Junior championship. Will beat Drumragh ok
Errigal making some push on all fronts for honours this year. 25 years on the go
Minor championship in the bag and division 1 & 3 Reserve championship likely to follow this weekend
Could be a record haul this year

Its taking the piss out of actual Div 3 Clubs. Proper Junior Clubs investing a lot of resources into developing players to try and get promoted/win silverware, then Errigal just drop Senior players down to their III's team with no oversight from the County Board.

Errigal III's can't even get promoted so whats the point?

All the players involved with the Thirds are not senior panellists and have committed  to them for the year. I think there are some ex seniors lads there but have been all year and haven't been involved with the senior panel. Reasons being work, not at senior standard anymore and not having the time to commit to a DIV 1 team.

Some people will always have a gripe about something but I know in Div 3 a lot of the club's are a fan of having them there. You know when scheduled to play them you will get two guaranteed competitive games - And that can't be said about a lot of the teams in the Division as there are many weeks when games are conceded etc. Out of interest it'd be interesting to see if their fourths have ever conceded a game? And isn't that what it's all about, especially at reserve level,  getting matches?

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: GJL on August 10, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
Quote from: Degrassi Hi on August 10, 2018, 09:58:17 AM
There wouldn't be an issue for Errigal thirds winning the Division 3 championship and getting promoted to Division 2 however they would not be able to play in the Ulster club championship.  I would doubt if they would be able to be promoted to Division 1 if they were ever to win an Intermediate league or championship. You still give great credit to the Errigal club for being able to provide competitive football for the players in their 4 parishes.

Eh?

It is one Parish..

He meant to say it was great of the four parishes to supply players to the Errigal club ;)

WeeDonns

Agreed that teams appreciate the competitive games

I was at the Drumragh V Errigal III Reserve Championship game.
Errigal fielded a very strong team of players that was mostly made up of thirds Senior players

It was a little disappointing to see a team of young lads that have had a strong league campaign, get completely whipped at home by the "same" team they beat in the league at dunmoyle

Playing Senior players in the Reserve Championship is a completely different debate to what you guys are discussing here but its the sort of thing that may add to any gripe some might have about a thirds team

Under Lights

Quote from: WeeDonns on August 10, 2018, 01:23:55 PM

Errigal fielded a very strong team of players that was mostly made up of thirds Senior players

It was a little disappointing to see a team of young lads that have had a strong league campaign, get completely whipped at home by the "same" team they beat in the league at dunmoyle

Playing Senior players in the Reserve Championship is a completely different debate to what you guys are discussing here but its the sort of thing that may add to any gripe some might have about a thirds team

Yeah former county under 21 Sean McKenna is playing in the reserve championship in D3 this year because he didn't play on the thirds senior championship team last year (he was with the firsts and their reserves last year), same with a few others whom dropped down this year. Devalues the compeition from a reserve prespective.

LeoMc

Quote from: Under Lights on August 10, 2018, 01:49:18 PM

Yeah former county under 21 Sean McKenna is playing in the reserve championship in D3 this year because he didn't play on the thirds senior championship team last year (he was with the firsts and their reserves last year), same with a few others whom dropped down this year. Devalues the compeition from a reserve prespective.

Did he play senior or reserve championship last year?
I thought you were ineligible if you played in the higher grade the year before.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Under Lights on August 10, 2018, 01:49:18 PM

I seen that. Which is definitely a flaw in the system. But is it not that the last senior championship game makes you ineligible for reserve championship? Did Sean make an appearance in last year's final against Omagh? Either way, I think it takes away from the point regarding Errigal 3rds. Despite all this, they are an extra set of competitive games in Div 3 and are a welcome addition. For example, their reserve team are top of the League where I can only assume it doesn't have some of their senior players every week.

giveherlong

Clean sweep for errigal with 2 reserve championship titles tonight in Healy Park

GJL

Quote from: giveherlong on August 10, 2018, 10:44:23 PM
Clean sweep for errigal with 2 reserve championship titles tonight in Healy Park

Fantastic night and with the minor championship last weekend adds up to a decent 7 days for the club.

GlenMan

Quote from: GJL on August 10, 2018, 11:02:45 PM

Fantastic night and with the minor championship last weekend adds up to a decent 7 days for the club.

A pity the real Junior Clubs won't be able to compete against the calibre of player Errigal is putting out on the field for a Div 3 Reserve game. A situation which will only get worse in the next few years.

giveherlong

Quote from: GlenMan on August 10, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

A pity the real Junior Clubs won't be able to compete against the calibre of player Errigal is putting out on the field for a Div 3 Reserve game. A situation which will only get worse in the next few years.

Maybe says more about the effort other clubs are putting in rather than Errigal who have their house in order.

Maybe the County Board will have to split Errigal in two like Dublin??

GlenMan

Quote from: giveherlong on August 11, 2018, 10:19:33 AM
Quote from: GlenMan on August 10, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Maybe says more about the effort other clubs are putting in rather than Errigal who have their house in order.

Maybe the County Board will have to split Errigal in two like Dublin??

I would honestly like to see a resolution to this situation that suits all the Clubs.

Put it this way - all the way up through youth level Errigal players are playing in Grade 1, winning County, Ulster and All Ireland titles with big numbers. That's not the case for many teams from Junior Clubs who are playing in Grade 3/4. So when these teams finally come through to adult, Errigal will have Grade 1 standard footballers in Div 3 and the other Clubs wouldn't have the players to compete.

Junior Clubs are feeling majorly aggrieved at the situation. I've talked to players and members from almost all Div 3 Clubs and they all feel that it's not right or fair that the County board is letting this happen.

TF15

I don't really get why Errigal retaining players and keeping them playing football (regardless of ability level) is being seen as a bad thing. Other big clubs lose players to soccer or transfers to other clubs. Omagh boys going to Drumragh, Tattureagh, Dregish, Drumquin or Coalisland/Clonoe boys going to Brocagh/Derrytresk, etc.

None of this was an issue in other years the Thirds finished near bottom of the league, etc. Knowing the boys on the Thirds they've been lucky this last two years to have got good management in place whereas years previous they struggled to get anyone to take them. Added to the fact older boys have left the senior/reserve panel due to age and not being able to make the required commitment it's left them a good side this year.

Also, there's only ever been one club for the parish of Errigal Ciaran which comprises of 4 TOWNLANDS. It was previously named Ballygawley St Ciarans

RedKinght

I have no issue with Errigal fielding a team in Div3, if they have the numbers to do so then good for them.

For me there have been 2 issues this year. Firstly players that played for Errigal senior or senior reserve championship in 2017 were eligible to play for the junior reserve championship due to the fact they had not played junior championship in 2017 and the county board considered them to be two different teams, which in anybody's reckoning is a farce. The fact that they beat us so easily in the reserve championship and we are top of the reserve league tells it's own story. Many of these same players will line out for Errigal III in the junior championship too.

Secondly and on a more general note, there were several clubs who were unable to play players in the reserve championship who have played reserve league all year due to the fact that they played in the junior championship in 2017 (probably as a sub) and are now unlikely to get any championship football. This needs to be addressed by the county board as it deprives players of playing the main type of football that any player trains so hard for.

LeoMc

Quote from: RedKinght on August 11, 2018, 03:43:43 PM
I have no issue with Errigal fielding a team in Div3, if they have the numbers to do so then good for them.

For me there have been 2 issues this year. Firstly players that played for Errigal senior or senior reserve championship in 2017 were eligible to play for the junior reserve championship due to the fact they had not played junior championship in 2017 and the county board considered them to be two different teams, which in anybody's reckoning is a farce. The fact that they beat us so easily in the reserve championship and we are top of the reserve league tells it's own story. Many of these same players will line out for Errigal III in the junior championship too.

Secondly and on a more general note, there were several clubs who were unable to play players in the reserve championship who have played reserve league all year due to the fact that they played in the junior championship in 2017 (probably as a sub) and are now unlikely to get any championship football. This needs to be addressed by the county board as it deprives players of playing the main type of football that any player trains so hard for.
Two very different arguments there, first that the rules are not restrictive enough and the second that they are too restrictive.

trueblue1234

Reserve championship after first round of senior is only solution. It's annoying and pushes the reserve championship out, but stops this whole nonsense were a player may be forced to miss a years championship football and stops the problem with EC being able to drop ex first team players into the reserve championship and then also being involved in the III's after that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit