Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Bohemian rhapsody is blooming marvellous.

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 07, 2018, 10:49:12 PM

Strange one I'd read a few reviews and they weren't good yet anyone I've spoken to or has posted on social media about it absolutely loved it!!

My guess is it's very entertaining rather than being a good film but sure what's wrong with that. Must try and see it I loved Queen back in the day!!

armaghniac

Are you allowed to sing in the cinema? Or  bring an air guitar?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2018, 10:52:45 PM

Strange one I'd read a few reviews and they weren't good yet anyone I've spoken to or has posted on social media about it absolutely loved it!!

My guess is it's very entertaining rather than being a good film but sure what's wrong with that. Must try and see it I loved Queen back in the day!!

Exactly my take on it. Enjoyable watch if you want to go along and tap your feet and marvel about how wonderful and talented the band were.

If you are looking for an in-depth biography, this skims over a lot of what made Freddie Mercury tick, from his background, family, various romances etc. They are all hinted at, but very little detail given to any. Paul Prenter is given a really over the top villain piece. Obviously someone involved in the movie still has strong feeling in this regard (maybe it is completely fair, I know nothing about the man / his influence but it feels cartoon-villainish)

Overall, a couple of hours of good entertainment, but not a lot to remember

PS Rami Malek is brilliant as Freddie
Hasta la victoria siempre

playwiththewind1st

Went to see Peterloo @ the weekend. Bit long winded at 2 & a half hours.

Main Street

The Post, about the events around  the publishing of the pentagon papers in the early '70s by the NYT and WP. an excellent film, could have watched it all night long.

nrico2006

First Man - avoid at all costs.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Capt Pat

Robin Hood. seven out of ten. Entertaining enough.

They obviously filmed it in Italy or Croatia or somewhere other than the north of England where Robin is from. It also looked like some of the costumes were sourced in top shop. Nottingham also had a lot of black people in those days which I never knew, I thought it was all white in the old days. There must also have been a lot of Irish immigration into the area in those days going by the accents of 2 of the movies leading characters. This film also featured the over the shoulder bazooka that fired arrows in the crusades. I know Robin Hood is a legend but I did expect a bit of historical accuracy.

Main Street

The Resistance Banker 2018, is a dutch film about the financing of the dutch resistance by a couple of bankers during the ww2 nazi occupation. It's a great story and historical document.
There is an english dubbed version  on netflix,  as I have little tolerance for dubbed films, I just downloaded the dutch language version and added  the subs.

Tony Baloney

JoG2

A Quiet Place - very good. Not great for the stress levels though. 8/10

mrdeeds

Watched a couple Netflix ones. Christmas Chronicles was excellent. Bird Box was decent but could have being twenty minutes shorter.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2018, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 23, 2018, 11:52:43 PM
Your hole.

Heard some tube on radio foyle call it the movie of the year the other day. Dont see one good thing about it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 28, 2018, 10:00:34 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2018, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 23, 2018, 11:52:43 PM
Your hole.

Heard some tube on radio foyle call it the movie of the year the other day. Dont see one good thing about it.

It was an excellent biopic.

The only way, in my opinion, that anybody could fail to be impressed by it is if they thought it was a movie about space and space exploration

spoofer

Netflix- Haunting of Hill House? Anyone see? First series...10 episodes.
Some watching from behind the couch moments for sure, esp episode 5 and 6  :-\