Depression - A player's story

Started by muppet, May 28, 2013, 06:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2013, 06:13:32 PM
I didn't want to put his name on the thread title, but fair play to him a very good piece:

http://gaelicplayers.com/WhatsHappening/LatestNews/TabId/86/ArtMID/421/ArticleID/165/Alan-O-Mara---My-Story.aspx

Fair play to him, the more people in that state talk openly about it the better it may be for him to handle it, must be hearbreaking for his family, worrying all the time I'm sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GaillimhIarthair

Thanks for putting up that link Muppet.  It gives a great insight into that terrible illness and fair play to the lad for putting his experiences out there to help others suffering a similar plight.

Orior

A good article, a brave man and hopefully it will help others in the same predicament.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Santino

Excellent and one of most emotional articles I have read on here

Shamrock Shore

I saw this earlier on facebook and was tempted to post it but decided not to.

A very emotional and extremely well written article.

I am glad he sought help from a counsellor rather than a more permanent form of help that is all too common nowadays.

Itchy

Well done Alan. This piece could save lives and will certainly help to lift the stigma of mental illness. Hope we see you back in a Cavan jersey soon.

anglocelt39

I don't think sometimes that Alan and his team mates have any real idea of the positive impact they have on the lives of people in the wider community. He was an absolute leader on a Cavan Under 21 team that restored all our faith in the Countys fortunes two years ago with a glorious run through to an All Ireland Final. After so many years of disappointment exiled Cavan men around the country are again able to go into work on a Monday with the chest out and the head held high. Take a bow Alan and I'm hoping that going public will be a load off your mind and a really positive step in your rehabilitation. Proud of you as a Shamrocks Man, a Cavan man and a really good guy.

No doubt about it there's something about the Shamrocks and Cavan Number 1 Jersey and literary abilities-Tom McIntyre the author and playright from the 50's, Ulster medal winning journalist Paul O Dowd from 97 and now Alan. Not sure if the current incumbent is similarly inclined mind you.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on May 28, 2013, 09:24:10 PM
Well done Alan. This piece could save lives and will certainly help to lift the stigma of mental illness. Hope we see you back in a Cavan jersey soon.

IMO when fit he is the number one keeper in County at moment.

ross matt

Yeah read his article in the paper at the weekend. He gave a serious insight in to the condition. A very brave young man indeed.

Westside

I'll echo what the lads before me said. It's certainly not easy to admit any sort of mental health issues. To be a 22 year old county footballer and come out with such honesty about it is admirable, shows a lot of confidence and bravery. This sort of openness, especially from popular, successful well adjusted figures, helps dispel the fear that's out there surrounding talking about mental health issues. Well done Alan. Hopefully more will follow suit.

theticklemister

excellent piece. Hope he gets well soon. It is a terrible illness to have.

DennistheMenace

I'll not lie a few years ago I thought that depression was a load of old balls. Recently i've learnt a lot more about it and think it's such a terrible illness to have because of the usual silent nature of it. Wish the lad well and hope he overcomes it with the help of family, friends and wider GAA circle.

Croí na hÉireann

Excellent piece, fair play to him is right. Hopefully other young lads in similar situations will be able to take a lead from him.

If I remember right he wrote a great article during one of them U21 runs a couple of years ago as well.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Count 10

Hope all goes well for him....brave man to do it....think this will help lots of people who are suffering to come and speak to someone.