Connacht Club Championships 2018

Started by Owenmoresider, September 24, 2018, 12:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

There are no strong teams in junior in Galway at the moment anyway so whoever wins it won't be challenging for a Connacht title.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on October 14, 2018, 08:33:29 AM
There are no strong teams in junior in Galway at the moment anyway so whoever wins it won't be challenging for a Connacht title.

No one has any notion how teams stack up outside their county at intermediate or junior.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 13, 2018, 09:21:37 PM
Castlebar out. Ballintubber v Breaffy final.

Be interesting to see can Clann na nGael and Annaghdown do as Ballintubber have done and knock out the heavy hitters. No harm to see a number of newish teams in the Connacht championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on October 14, 2018, 01:29:16 PM

No one has any notion how teams stack up outside their county at intermediate or junior.
I would follow Mayo club football to an extent - the Mayo junior champions Balla would easily beat any of the remaining teams in the Galway junior c'ship.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 14, 2018, 01:47:41 PM

Be interesting to see can Clann na nGael and Annaghdown do as Ballintubber have done and knock out the heavy hitters. No harm to see a number of newish teams in the Connacht championship.

Annaghdown had Corofin on the ropes last year but Corofin still managed to turn around and win by 2. Corofin weren't great that day and while Annaghdown have improved this year I don't think they'll beat Corofin, they could afford to leave Kieran Fitz, Mike Farragher and Daithí Burke on the sideline until the final ten mins last week and still win by 7 playing in about 2nd gear. Don't know if Corofin will go all the way this year, Crokes are looking good in Munster but I think they'll win Connacht.

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on October 14, 2018, 02:17:16 PM

Annaghdown had Corofin on the ropes last year but Corofin still managed to turn around and win by 2. Corofin weren't great that day and while Annaghdown have improved this year I don't think they'll beat Corofin, they could afford to leave Kieran Fitz, Mike Farragher and Daithí Burke on the sideline until the final ten mins last week and still win by 7 playing in about 2nd gear. Don't know if Corofin will go all the way this year, Crokes are looking good in Munster but I think they'll win Connacht.

Corofin will have to play Brigids in Roscommon this year if the likely Connacht SF happens. The last time that happened there was a lot of 'confident' Corofin men in tears at full time..

GalwayBayBoy

Junior is very poor in Galway that said we've always had far too many senior clubs. Being rectified finally this year with 3 clubs each getting relegated from senior and intermediate which should make for stronger intermediate and junior championships going forward.

Caltra relegated down to intermediate this weekend I see. Glenamaddy down to junior. The clubs there in the north east of the county are struggling. Williamstown in danger of dropping to junior as well I think.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on October 14, 2018, 02:33:31 PM

Corofin will have to play Brigids in Roscommon this year if the likely Connacht SF happens. The last time that happened there was a lot of 'confident' Corofin men in tears at full time..
Clann seem to have other ideas
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 14, 2018, 03:42:04 PM

Junior is very poor in Galway that said we've always had far too many senior clubs. Being rectified finally this year with 3 clubs each getting relegated from senior and intermediate which should make for stronger intermediate and junior championships going forward.

Caltra relegated down to intermediate this weekend I see. Glenamaddy down to junior. The clubs there in the north east of the county are struggling. Williamstown in danger of dropping to junior as well I think.
In that area Ballygar also are gone to the dogs these days.

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on October 14, 2018, 05:05:26 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 14, 2018, 03:42:04 PM

In that area Ballygar also are gone to the dogs these days.

Too many small clubs with small playing populations around that patch in north and east Galway. In years to come I think we'll see clubs like Annaghdown, Claregalway, Moycullen along with Corofin leading the way in senior. Their proximity to Galway has massively boosted population in those areas.

Duine Eile

I'd say there's a few 'confident' Brigid's men in tears today?

tonto1888

Was that a big surprise there in the St Brigids game?

seafoid

Quote from: Duine Eile on October 14, 2018, 05:17:34 PM

I'd say there's a few 'confident' Brigid's men in tears today?

That was some hiding. The curse of Syf ar ais arís
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Duine Eile

The result probably not much of a surprise, the teams are on a par but the margin of the win is surprising. That's a Galway POV now so I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong!

PadraicHenryPearse

red card made all the difference. level before then.