Diving in our game

Started by slippery dodger, February 17, 2018, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on February 19, 2018, 12:23:10 PM
a ref should never send off a player for some thing he or a linesman are not 100% sure they saw and they could not have seen a blow to the head in this case .
they just assumed by the players reaction.
what really swung it for me were hr team mate standing beside the incident they made one half harted appeal . had he really got a blow their reaction would have be a lot  more pronounced and direct

I just think there is no telling from the footage that the player did not get a blow to the head however accidental it may have been.

Actually I think it's fairly clear from the footage that there was zero contact with the head.

No big mystery here. The player conned the ref (or the linesman). It happens.

tonto1888

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 19, 2018, 01:50:44 PM
a ref should never send off a player for some thing he or a linesman are not 100% sure they saw and they could not have seen a blow to the head in this case .
what really swung it for me were hr team mate standing beside the incident they made one half harted appeal . had he really got a blow their reaction would have be a lot  more pronounced and direct

I just think there is no telling from the footage that the player did not get a blow to the head however accidental it may have been.

Actually I think it's fairly clear from the footage that there was zero contact with the head.

I agree with this. Its what it looked like to me

mup

Well you must have viewed different footage to me so. Because on the TG4 footage it is inconclusive.

Taylor

Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 01:58:24 PM

Well you must have viewed different footage to me so. Because on the TG4 footage it is inconclusive.

So if by your own admission it is inconclusive why would he have been sent off?

Hardy

What's not inconclusive is the two(!) exaggerated collapses. Always the giveaway.

mup

Quote from: Taylor on February 19, 2018, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 01:58:24 PM

So if by your own admission it is inconclusive why would he have been sent off?

He shouldn't have been sent off. But there is a possibility his knee glanced off the full backs head. Nothing malicious in it at all.

mup

Quote from: Hardy on February 19, 2018, 02:10:07 PM
What's not inconclusive is the two(!) exaggerated collapses. Always the giveaway.

Ah come on now. The chap was on the ground anyway so how can you say he exaggerated a collapse. Twice.

Anyway I see we'll never agree on it. I just happen to think the player is getting abuse when there was a possibility  that he did actually get a knock to the head.

But it seems people have him hung drawn and quartered already. It's not as if it's  Johnny Cooper/Michael Shields/Aidan O'Mahony/Tiernan McCann type incident.

Taylor

Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 02:23:32 PM

Ah come on now. The chap was on the ground anyway so how can you say he exaggerated a collapse. Twice.

Anyway I see we'll never agree on it. I just happen to think the player is getting abuse when there was a possibility  that he did actually get a knock to the head.

But it seems people have him hung drawn and quartered already. It's not as if it's  Johnny Cooper/Michael Shields/Aidan O'Mahony/Tiernan McCann type incident.
[/quote

Its just as bad to be fair. He didnt get touched - rolled around holding his head and has got a lad a straight red in an AI semi final

mup

Quote from: Taylor on February 19, 2018, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 02:23:32 PM

[/quote

Its just as bad to be fair. He didnt get touched - rolled around holding his head and has got a lad a straight red in an AI semi final

You're not a bit dramatic or anything.

He didn't roll around. He just lay there on the ground. But that doesn't sound as good.

Zulu

Not sure what angle you're looking at mup but I think it's very clear there was no contact and even if there was it was to the back on the head behind the ear. At no point did he put his hand to the area he might have been hit and instead put his hands to his face. His reaction is totally unnatural to the bang he might have got but almost certainly didn't.

While the carry on of players is an embarrassment the behaviour of supporters is worse. We have long been apologists for players feigning injury and exaggerating the level of pain when they do get a bit of a hit. We are creating the environment where this stuff is becoming acceptable. I soccer, a guy who dives to win a free is no longer diving if there 'was contact'. That's BS and we are going down the same road.

Not having a go at you mup by the way, just commenting on a general trend that isn't helping our game.

Captain Scarlet

But Zulu, never mind apologists. Ray Silke called the man out on Twitter but will happily ignore his own clubmen doing it.
If we are calling it out we need to all call it out. We can't just attack the opposition when one of your own is doing it too.
As I said in the first half, not long after the red, a Corofin man went down holding his face when hit in the chest.
What's the difference in terms of the player's actions??
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

mup

Quote from: Zulu on February 19, 2018, 03:20:04 PM
Not sure what angle you're looking at mup but I think it's very clear there was no contact and even if there was it was to the back on the head behind the ear. At no point did he put his hand to the area he might have been hit and instead put his hands to his face. His reaction is totally unnatural to the bang he might have got but almost certainly didn't.

While the carry on of players is an embarrassment the behaviour of supporters is worse. We have long been apologists for players feigning injury and exaggerating the level of pain when they do get a bit of a hit. We are creating the environment where this stuff is becoming acceptable. I soccer, a guy who dives to win a free is no longer diving if there 'was contact'. That's BS and we are going down the same road.

Not having a go at you mup by the way, just commenting on a general trend that isn't helping our game.

Ah no that's fair enough.

Maybe I'm being naïve here but I'm genuine when I say that there could have been contact on his head. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the player on the ground. There are only two people can answer the question with any degree of certainty and thats Farragher and the Moorefield player.

Look I hate diving too.  Its creeping more and more into the game and the more obvious ones I've pointed out above. What can be done about it I don't know.

Jinxy

Whether he did or didn't feign injury, the 'grabbed the wrong part of his head' theory always puzzles me.
I've seen lads immediately grab their face after getting a bad bang on the back of the head.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 19, 2018, 03:33:58 PM
But Zulu, never mind apologists. Ray Silke called the man out on Twitter but will happily ignore his own clubmen doing it.
If we are calling it out we need to all call it out. We can't just attack the opposition when one of your own is doing it too.
As I said in the first half, not long after the red, a Corofin man went down holding his face when hit in the chest.
What's the difference in terms of the player's actions??

Agree 100%, all of it should be called out.

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on February 19, 2018, 03:52:02 PM
Whether he did or didn't feign injury, the 'grabbed the wrong part of his head' theory always puzzles me.
I've seen lads immediately grab their face after getting a bad bang on the back of the head.

Really? Can't say I've ever seen that myself. I've never seen a guy hit in the back of the head never put his hand on the area even just to check for a cut or something. On top of that, if there was contact to the head, it wasn't a bad bang so holding your face and never even giving the back of the head a rub seems entirely unnatural to me.