Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Mulholland had 3 years in charge and even at the end of the 3rd year Galway hadn't closed the gap in the physical stakes on the top teams, whether that was down to him or that was down to a lack of investment in the team I wouldn't have a clue. Someone earlier mentioned Horan as a potential candidate to replace Walsh, Horan said he couldn't see himself managing another county but in the same interview he did say they could be famous last words and when asked about a team to watch in the super 8's he mentioned Galway and was very complimentary about them. Horan's view on Galway has certainly softened in the last 2 years.

Given the last 2 defeats to Galway you'd think Rochford will have his Mayo side in better shape then they have been when they've faced Galway in the last 2 championships but this game falls a month earlier than it has done in the previous 2 years, as of Sunday there is 12 weeks until the game. I've seen several pundits state the loser is in real trouble but I don't agree, from a Galway point of view there's a decent panel there should Walsh need to freshen things up during the qualifiers and loser has 3 weeks to prepare for the 1st round of the qualifies which is more than enough time.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 16, 2018, 11:03:10 AM
Given the last 2 defeats to Galway you'd think Rochford will have his Mayo side in better shape then they have been when they've faced Galway in the last 2 championships but this game falls a month earlier than it has done in the previous 2 years, as of Sunday there is 12 weeks until the game. I've seen several pundits state the loser is in real trouble but I don't agree, from a Galway point of view there's a decent panel there should Walsh need to freshen things up during the qualifiers and loser has 3 weeks to prepare for the 1st round of the qualifies which is more than enough time.

Fair or not the point the pundits are trying to make here is that it's Sam or bust for Mayo every year with this team until they secure the All Ireland title, they could do with the shortest route possible in 2018 given the milage certain players have.
If Galway can get to the Super 8 by whatever means and if at least competitive there - ideally making a semi final, although I don't see that happening personally - then that's a "good year" (barring another hiding on exiting the championship), obviously all evidence to date indicates that Galway (along with 28 or 29 other counties) haven't a chance of winning Sam and logically the expectations for 2018 should be adjusted and set accordingly.
Mayo are due a win over Galway in May but if that does transpire it will only be "real trouble" for Galway if a hasty qualifier exit happens on the back of a loss to Mayo (which would surely also mark the end of Walsh's tenure) but the current context and expectation for Mayo is that anything less than Sam is another wasted year with this current set of players. I've heard Mayo people talking about the memories, the great days out, how every other county bar the Dubs would swap with them, the journey along the way etc. but unless the All Ireland is annexed this team will just be another one on the pile of couldashouldawoulda's

I certainly wouldn't write Mayo off if they lose on May 13th but the questions are being posed about whether they have the panel for 8 matches in 10 weeks to make it back to the big one, they may well do like 2017 when they eventually roared back.

GalwayBayBoy

If this post from the Mayo blog is anything to go by the Armed Response Unit will have to be on call on May 13. Some lads take these things far too seriously. Jaysus.

QuotePebblesmeller says:
February 16, 2018 at 12:36 pm
A straight red is an automatic 1 game ban so there is nothing new in Cillians suspension. Regarding that incident with Cillian, Kerin knew exactly what he was doing, i.e. running across the front of Cillian to slow him down from taking the line ball. Kerin knew what he was at and got what he deserved. I'm not saying it is right, and Cillian deserves his red card and 1 game ban, but I'm still glad he did it.
To be honest, I would gladly contribute to a "Fine Fund" to help pay these fines. When our players are not going to get protection from incompetent refs and resort to "protecting" themselves and dealing with these incidents themselves, then I will set-up a direct debit this minute. As for McEntee, fair play to him. Like Cillian and Diarmuid, I hope he does likewise again.
Mayo have to lay out a marker to all comers, if you are going to come for us with that attitude then you better expect to be on the receiving end of serious hits. f**k em all. f**k the refs and the GAA also. We have waited long enough this year alone for the refs/linesmen/umpires to do their jobs (our opponents have 6 reds in 3 league games against us so far with one of our players having to get his jaw rewired) and it is well past time we stood up for ourselves.
On May 13th I hope to Christ Mayo wait in the tunnel outside the Galway dressing room and set a f**king marker down there and then. No refs, no cameras, no sly digs. Just man on man. As Kieran McGeaney once said, "you wanna fight, we'll fight. Ya wanna play football, we'll play football".

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 16, 2018, 01:40:33 PM
If this post from the Mayo blog is anything to go by the Armed Response Unit will have to be on call on May 13. Some lads take these things far too seriously. Jaysus.

QuotePebblesmeller says:
A straight red is an automatic 1 game ban so there is nothing new in Cillians suspension. Regarding that incident with Cillian, Kerin knew exactly what he was doing, i.e. running across the front of Cillian to slow him down from taking the line ball. Kerin knew what he was at and got what he deserved. I'm not saying it is right, and Cillian deserves his red card and 1 game ban, but I'm still glad he did it.
To be honest, I would gladly contribute to a "Fine Fund" to help pay these fines. When our players are not going to get protection from incompetent refs and resort to "protecting" themselves and dealing with these incidents themselves, then I will set-up a direct debit this minute. As for McEntee, fair play to him. Like Cillian and Diarmuid, I hope he does likewise again.
Mayo have to lay out a marker to all comers, if you are going to come for us with that attitude then you better expect to be on the receiving end of serious hits. f**k em all. f**k the refs and the GAA also. We have waited long enough this year alone for the refs/linesmen/umpires to do their jobs (our opponents have 6 reds in 3 league games against us so far with one of our players having to get his jaw rewired) and it is well past time we stood up for ourselves.
On May 13th I hope to Christ Mayo wait in the tunnel outside the Galway dressing room and set a f**king marker down there and then. No refs, no cameras, no sly digs. Just man on man. As Kieran McGeaney once said, "you wanna fight, we'll fight. Ya wanna play football, we'll play football".
That pretty much sums up what that blog page has turned into over the last while.
The victim complex is something else.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on February 16, 2018, 01:46:44 PM

QuotePebblesmeller says:
That pretty much sums up what that blog page has turned into over the last while.

+1

An Fhairche Abu

QuotePebblesmeller says:

Merciful hour, that's some one eyed screed. A "Fine Fund"?! You'd nearly hope for Mayo to win the biggie so that these people can relax about the whole thing and just get on with their lives in a more positive way.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on February 16, 2018, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: galwayman on February 16, 2018, 01:46:44 PM

QuotePebblesmeller says:

+1

+2. Embarrassing at this stage.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Blogs and fan pages in general are the natural habitat of the lesser spotted head-the-ball.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 16, 2018, 02:02:55 PM

QuotePebblesmeller says:

Merciful hour, that's some one eyed screed. A "Fine Fund"?! You'd nearly hope for Mayo to win the biggie so that these people can relax about the whole thing and just get on with their lives in a more positive way.
Ah, you can't blame the entire Mayo nation for what a couple of gobshites post on Wilie Joe's blog.  I am surprised that he entertains this type of laitcheko as it takes from the credibility of his site. He used to have a set of guidelines for posters at one time that forbade obscenities of all sorts but his standards have certainly dropped since then.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2018, 08:44:08 PM

QuotePebblesmeller says:

Ah, you can't blame the entire Mayo nation for what a couple of gobshites post on Wilie Joe's blog.  I am surprised that he entertains this type of laitcheko as it takes from the credibility of his site. He used to have a set of guidelines for posters at one time that forbade obscenities of all sorts but his standards have certainly dropped since then.

He doesn't have the time to be moderating when he's travelling to all these matches.. oh, wait.

galwayman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2018, 08:44:08 PM

QuotePebblesmeller says:

A lot of his own contributions are not much better in all honesty albeit minus the expletives.

Gael85

QuotePebblesmeller says:
A straight red is an automatic 1 game ban so there is nothing new in Cillians suspension. Regarding that incident with Cillian, Kerin knew exactly what he was doing, i.e. running across the front of Cillian to slow him down from taking the line ball. Kerin knew what he was at and got what he deserved. I’m not saying it is right, and Cillian deserves his red card and 1 game ban, but I’m still glad he did it.
To be honest, I would gladly contribute to a “Fine Fund” to help pay these fines. When our players are not going to get protection from incompetent refs and resort to “protecting” themselves and dealing with these incidents themselves, then I will set-up a direct debit this minute. As for McEntee, fair play to him. Like Cillian and Diarmuid, I hope he does likewise again.
On May 13th I hope to Christ Mayo wait in the tunnel outside the Galway dressing room and set a f**king marker down there and then. No refs, no cameras, no sly digs. Just man on man. As Kieran McGeaney once said, “you wanna fight, we’ll fight. Ya wanna play football, we’ll play football”.

Sweet jesus. Some simple people on that blog.  ;D ;D

spuds

Quote from: Gael85 on February 16, 2018, 10:00:41 PM

QuotePebblesmeller says:

Sweet jesus. Some simple people on that blog.  ;D ;D
Boss man there lost the run in more ways than 1. There is another reservation for the greater spotted head-the-ball (©Jinxy) on Reservoir Dubs.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

maigheo

If you think that post is bad try reading some of the posts from a poster named Revilino[ I think]. Cringe worthy stuff.I used to think the Hogan Stand was bad but the Blog is not to far off it at this stage