Connacht SFC 2019

Started by Rossfan, April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

5/5/19 NY v Mayowestros  and London v Galway
12/5/19 Ros v Laythrum in the Hyde
19/5/19 Sligo v Galway or London
25/5/19 Mayowestros or NY v Rest of Roscommon.
16/6/19 Final.

After Sligo's atrocious League campaign and with our lads fading so badly at the business end it looks like the 2 big Counties to make the Final sadly.

A Qualifier campaign for us then starting in Round 2 and probably ending in Round 3.

Our lads conceded 2-18 to Kildare in a challenge last week so it seems our defensive frailties are going to remain with us.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

At the end of the day, if this Galway team have anything about them at all they should be getting past London and Sligo without any drama.

If the Connacht draw was the same as in previous years with Galway getting Mayo in the first round then there would be alarm bells ringing for me, KW may be slightly exaggerating the "injury crisis" but Galway are severely lacking in options around the middle of the field with Duggan and Cooke out injured, D'Arcy certainly doesn't look up to the required standard at the moment. Mayo's performances around the midfield sector - O'Shea and Ruane were playing mighty stuff down the stretch of the league - are the reason they are league champions for me, they demolished Kerry out there and a Galway team underhanded in that area would be really up against it.

With O'Donnell named captain (he was vice captain anyway) in the absence of Comer it would lead to the assumption that he will start, which means that Molloy won't, this is a mistake IMO but it is no real surprise. What was there previously in the HB line for Galway, although reasonable enough to a certain level, just isn't good enough to compete with the best teams in the land. If we go with the same again there this year then how can we expect to improve?

Sean Andy got destroyed against Tyrone in the last round of the league and hasn't been playing well so far in 2019, only for Kyne is out still injured for - at a minimum - the first two matches in Connacht I'd put him in at FB instead. Liam Silke should be a big addition to the defence and Ian Burke is pure class, I genuinely haven't a clue how the other Corofin players brought into the panel will fare out, but anyone expecting huge changes will be disappointed I'd say.
Most optimistic timeline for the return of Comer seems to be as a sub for a prospective Connacht final against Mayo, so there's a chance he mightn't play a minute in this years Connacht championship, he has flaws as a player but Galway are a worse team without him, on form he adds something very different that other players just don't have in their locker.

Hard to see the Rossies giving Mayo a rattle but then again they beat us out the gate in 2017 and were well in the Connacht final last year for a long time also, maybe they'll pull a shock in Castlebar but I'd expect Mayo to be in the final this year.
Mayo are coming in with a bit of a rejuvenated look, I think it's better for them to have the likes of Moran and Boyle coming from the bench at this point. Given the conversations I've had recently with Mayo fans of various vintages they are all most assuredly of the opinion that they will win Connacht this year (although that said I remain puzzled as to how anyone could continue to assert at this stage that it's only a run of fluke (due to red cards etc.) wins for Galway as was intimated by some).

I'm not as down on Galway as some of our supporters, certainly in terms of winning Connacht, although the disastrous second half against Tyrone has given me a bit of pause as to where the team is going overall, collapses like that are not indicative of the required improvement needed by Galway this year in the Championship.
If KW can make a couple of tweaks and get the squad fit I'd give them a more than decent shot of retaining the Connacht title but I suppose against that, even if just purely on the law of averages, Mayo are past due both a win against Galway and a Connacht title.
What I would say for sure is that it'll be a surprise to me if the winner of Connacht comes from outside of Galway and Mayo.

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM
16/6/19 Final.

After Sligo's atrocious League campaign and with our lads fading so badly at the business end it looks like the 2 big Counties to make the Final sadly.

A Qualifier campaign for us then starting in Round 2 and probably ending in Round 3.

Our lads conceded 2-18 to Kildare in a challenge last week so it seems our defensive frailties are going to remain with us.

Don't be so pessimistic. The last two times Mayo won the NFL, we ended up beating them in Connacht. But first things first. Mayo v NY, and Ros v Leitrim within a week of each other in May.

Rossfan

Should be a good crowd in the Hyde with the new improved Laythrum on a high.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: weareros on April 23, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM
16/6/19 Final.

Don't be so pessimistic. The last two times Mayo won the NFL, we ended up beating them in Connacht. But first things first. Mayo v NY, and Ros v Leitrim within a week of each other in May.

That and the last two times Roscommon got relegated, in 2010 and 2017 ye won Connacht too has a foreboding feel to it as a Mayo fan.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

A Saturday evening throw in for Mayo v Roscommon or Leitrim does that mean it will get the SKY sports coverage?

For what its worth I think Mayo will win Connacht this summer. James Horan has unbeaten record in Connacht championship football and he will hardly lose that record off the back of winning a first national title for 18 years?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Manning18

Could be more advantageous to lose a Connacht final this year, especially with Kerry looking far from invincible towards the end of the league. Guesses on how it could play out in second part

Connacht Winner
Leinster winner - Dublin
Ulster RU v Q - Donegal
Munster RU v Q - Monaghan

Connacht RU
Munster winner - Kerry
Ulster winner - Tyrone
Leinster RU v Q - Meath.

Provided the qualifier was manageable, give me option B. Extreme example, but just to show that Connacht is less important this year than in other years

Blowitupref

Quote from: Manning18 on April 23, 2019, 02:41:09 PM
Could be more advantageous to lose a Connacht final this year, especially with Kerry looking far from invincible towards the end of the league. Guesses on how it could play out in second part

Connacht Winner
Leinster winner - Dublin
Ulster RU v Q - Donegal

Connacht RU
Munster winner - Kerry
Ulster winner - Tyrone
Leinster RU v Q - Meath.

Provided the qualifier was manageable, give me option B. Extreme example, but just to show that Connacht is less important this year than in other years

As a Mayo supporter said on boards.ie they have a better chance of reaching the AI final if they avoid Dublin in the semi final. No one knows what the qualifers will bring as Mayo found out last summer.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

At least there's home advantage in Round One for the Connacht winner this year and you avoid the possibility of getting a horrible draw in Round 4 of the qualifiers which could see you out on your arse before the first week in July is over.
Biggest issue for the Connacht winners is having to play two away matches in Rounds Two and Three of the Super 8s which is definitely a big disadvantage given that it's going to be Dublin and quite probably another very good team but realistically you want to go through the front door.

GalwayBayBoy

I would have been fairly confident of retaining Connacht this year but the injuries are giving me pause for thought. Never good to be heading into the championship with lingering injury concerns hanging about like a bad smell. 3 midfielders now injured and Comer looking like he's going to be on the bench at best by the time the Connacht final comes around. They are probably happy enough this year to be on the easier side of the draw in the hope that some of these injuries clear up in time. London and Sligo in their current state look unlikely to halt even a weakened Galway side.

Looks like a straight shoot out between Mayo and Roscommon for the other spot. Mayo favourites but Roscommon have enough scoring power to trouble them with Diarmuid Murtagh fully fit again if they can tighten it up at the back. I'm not sure I fully buy the "Mayo are back, baby" hysteria that was going around after the league final but they should be in a Connacht final at least and should make the Super 8's either way this year. After that who knows?

Connacht final in Salthill then most likely barring a huge upset.

Manning18

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 23, 2019, 02:54:17 PM

Connacht Winner
Leinster winner - Dublin
Ulster RU v Q - Donegal

Connacht RU
Munster winner - Kerry
Ulster winner - Tyrone
Leinster RU v Q - Meath.

As a Mayo supporter said on boards.ie they have a better chance of reaching the AI final if they avoid Dublin in the semi final. No one knows what the qualifers will bring as Mayo found out last summer.

Dont think that's necessarily true. If Scenario A is finishing second to Dublin in Group A, and then having to beat Group B winners like Kerry, and scenario B is finishing top of Group B and beating 2nd from Group A, scenario B is slightly more likely for any team. I worked out the odds for all potential scenario's one day when bored and it works out near equal for winners and runners up of Connacht.

Obviously you'll want to be winning Connacht, getting the bit of silverware and not breaking momentum. Its just that there'll be mass hysteria when one of Mayo/Galway/Ros lose in June (most hysterical if Mayo by far), when in reality it wont change their chance of reaching a final or winning Sam all that much

Rossfan

Getting to a Provincial Final cuts out 2 potentially tricky rounds of Qualifiers in dodgy venues with dodgy Refs etc.

weareros

Connacht Winner
Leinster winner - Dublin
Ulster RU v Q - Donegal

Connacht RU
Munster winner - Kerry
Ulster winner - Tyrone
Leinster RU v Q - Meath.

I think in the above scenario a Mayo or Galway would be confident of finishing ahead of a Donegal or Monaghan and then winning a semi-final, whereas the opposite is not such a foregone conclusion.

Duine Eile

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 23, 2019, 01:10:56 PM

With O'Donnell named captain (he was vice captain anyway) in the absence of Comer it would lead to the assumption that he will start, which means that Molloy won't, this is a mistake IMO but it is no real surprise. What was there previously in the HB line for Galway, although reasonable enough to a certain level, just isn't good enough to compete with the best teams in the land. If we go with the same again there this year then how can we expect to improve?

That's what jumped out at me when I heard O'Donnell was captain in Comer's absence. Wouldn't surprise me if we see Bradshaw in that half back line also. If that's what happens we're going to end up with the same story as last year. Molloy deserves a decent run in that line this year and not the 5 minutes he got last year in a game they had already lost.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 05:08:45 PM
Getting to a Provincial Final cuts out 2 potentially tricky rounds of Qualifiers in dodgy venues with dodgy Refs etc.
Ros need a few decent matches in order to build up the momentum to get past the QFs and a straight run to the CF plus a soft draw for R4 is no use to ye.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU