Ruane
Kilpatrick

Sludden
Rian O'Neill
Meyler

McCurry
Clifford
O'Donoghue

Kerry and Dublin are hamstrung by the fact that they failed to beat any Div 1 team in the Championship. Mayo beat 2, Tyrone beat 3 (and Mayo).

O'Sullivan and Clifford get theirs on the basis of their performances against Tyrone. P Clifford and S O'Shea struggled against Tyrone and were dominated by Meyler and Hampsey.

R O'Neill gave the best individual display this Championship against Monaghan.

It's easy to give them out to Tyrone this year as they had to beat numerous good teams - reigning Ulster champs, 3 division 1 teams and last years AI runners up.

I've a feeling McNamee will be done out of another all star, he deserved one in 2015 too but was overlooked there.

Angelo would agree with all of that.

I would not doubt it. He was a very reasonable and pragmatic poster.

;D

tonto1888

I see both ONeills have been nominated

yellowcard

The fact that Keegan got nominated for POTY gives him a good chance now. Due to the nature of the voting process, it worked in Mayos favour before when there were 2 Dubs and one Mayo nominated and it could benefit them again given that there is no clear and obvious winner between McGeary and Meyler. Personally I think McGeary deserves it.

As far as young POTY is concerned there is no real stand out candidate either, though possibly Tierney deserves it based on performances. There must be a severe shortage of candidates if Canavan got selected for a few fleeting appearances from the bench. I'm not sure whether they can select an underage player or not but if so I would have selected Bryant from the Offaly Under-20 team.   

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on October 08, 2021, 09:27:17 AM
The fact that Keegan got nominated for POTY gives him a good chance now. Due to the nature of the voting process, it worked in Mayos favour before when there were 2 Dubs and one Mayo nominated and it could benefit them again given that there is no clear and obvious winner between McGeary and Meyler. Personally I think McGeary deserves it.

As far as young POTY is concerned there is no real stand out candidate either, though possibly Tierney deserves it based on performances. There must be a severe shortage of candidates if Canavan got selected for a few fleeting appearances from the bench. I'm not sure whether they can select an underage player or not but if so I would have selected Bryant from the Offaly Under-20 team.

Not an underage award so no to the Offaly boy.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tres Bien

Think it's done by a PR system so I'd expect McGeary will get it though I'd give to Meyler personally.

Tierney should win YFOTY, Canavan only had a few fleeting substitute appearances while Mullin missed the semi final and was probably somewhat at fault for the McShane goal in the final.

Given the fact that players now are not really physically developed for intercounty football until they are 22/23 I think the YFOTY should probably now be u23 rather than u21. Gone are the days of 18 year olds arriving on the scene and starring for their county teams.

yellowcard

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 08, 2021, 10:11:26 AM

Think it's done by a PR system so I'd expect McGeary will get it though I'd give to Meyler personally.

Tierney should win YFOTY, Canavan only had a few fleeting substitute appearances while Mullin missed the semi final and was probably somewhat at fault for the McShane goal in the final.

Given the fact that players now are not really physically developed for intercounty football until they are 22/23 I think the YFOTY should probably now be u23 rather than u21. Gone are the days of 18 year olds arriving on the scene and starring for their county teams.

I didn't know that the POTY used a PR system, but that is a fairer method and in that case I don't think Keegan will win it.

I'd agree with the change in YPOTY to include Under 23. The list of candidates this year just shows the lack of player pool making an impact at senior level and with the advent of the split season there will be less players making the breakthrough as they are left with the Under 20 team which is almost like a development side.

dec

Nominations

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-star-football-nominations-revealed-dublin-with-lowest-haul-since-2010-as-tyrone-get-full-house-40928594.html

PWC ALL-STARS FOOTBALL NOMINATIONS 2021

Goalkeepers – Niall Morgan (Tyrone), Rob Hennelly (Mayo), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders – Pádraig Hampsey, Peter Harte, Michael McKernan, Ronan McNamee, Conor Meyler, Kieran McGeary, Frank Burns (all Tyrone); Lee Keegan, Patrick Durcan, Pádraig O'Hora, Stephen Coen (all Mayo); Tom O'Sullivan, Gavin White, Brian Ó Beaglaoich (all Kerry); Mick Fitzsimons, Brian Howard (both Dublin); Seán Meehan (Cork), Ryan McAnespie (Monaghan)

Midfielders – Brian Kennedy, Conn Kilpatrick (both Tyrone); Matthew Ruane (Mayo), David Moran (Kerry), Oisín O'Neill (Armagh), Brian Fenton (Dublin)

Forwards – Niall Sludden, Conor McKenna, Darren McCurry, Mattie Donnelly, Cathal McShane (all Tyrone); Seán O'Shea, Paudie Clifford, David Clifford (all Kerry); Ryan O'Donoghue, Tommy Conroy (both Mayo); Ciarán Kilkenny, Cormac Costello (both Dublin); Rian O'Neill (Armagh), Eoin Cleary (Clare), Michael Langan (Donegal), Jack McCarron (Monaghan), Shane Walsh (Galway), Daniel Flynn (Kildare)

PWC GAA/GPA FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES – Conor Meyler, Kieran McGeary (both Tyrone); Lee Keegan (Mayo)

PWC GAA/GPA YOUNG FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES – Matthew Tierney (Galway), Oisín Mullin (Mayo), Darragh Canavan (Tyrone)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on October 08, 2021, 10:40:14 AM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 08, 2021, 10:11:26 AM

I didn't know that the POTY used a PR system, but that is a fairer method and in that case I don't think Keegan will win it.

I'd agree with the change in YPOTY to include Under 23. The list of candidates this year just shows the lack of player pool making an impact at senior level and with the advent of the split season there will be less players making the breakthrough as they are left with the Under 20 team which is almost like a development side.

That was always likely to happen once the U21 grade was scrapped.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 07, 2021, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 07, 2021, 04:11:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 01, 2021, 12:26:09 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 01, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
Morgan

O'Sullivan
McNamee
Hampsey

Keegan
McGeary
Harte

Ruane
Kilpatrick

Sludden
Rian O'Neill
Meyler

McCurry
Clifford
O'Donoghue

Kerry and Dublin are hamstrung by the fact that they failed to beat any Div 1 team in the Championship. Mayo beat 2, Tyrone beat 3 (and Mayo).

O'Sullivan and Clifford get theirs on the basis of their performances against Tyrone. P Clifford and S O'Shea struggled against Tyrone and were dominated by Meyler and Hampsey.

It's easy to give them out to Tyrone this year as they had to beat numerous good teams - reigning Ulster champs, 3 division 1 teams and last years AI runners up.

I've a feeling McNamee will be done out of another all star, he deserved one in 2015 too but was overlooked there.

;D

Rian O'Neill has zero chance. One decent game in an Ulster semi doesn't cut it. He's in there as a token gesture to Burns. Mind you an All-Star nomination itself is probably the biggest achievement for Armagh football in over a decade. Well done the Orchard.

seafoid

Before Dublin tore the arse out of the system the all Ireland champions would usually win POTY. Mayo won't be getting a sympathy POTY this year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on October 09, 2021, 07:23:32 AM
Before Dublin tore the arse out of the system the all Ireland champions would usually win POTY. Mayo won't be getting a sympathy POTY this year.

I get sort of what you are saying, but Lee Keegan and Andy Moran were in no way sympathy POTY winners! You tell me any player that was better than either in their given year?

Armagh18

Quote from: StPatsAbu on October 08, 2021, 08:51:50 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 07, 2021, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 07, 2021, 04:11:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 01, 2021, 12:26:09 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 01, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
Morgan

O'Sullivan
McNamee
Hampsey

Keegan
McGeary
Harte

Ruane
Kilpatrick

Sludden
Rian O'Neill
Meyler

McCurry
Clifford
O'Donoghue

;D

Rian O'Neill has zero chance. One decent game in an Ulster semi doesn't cut it. He's in there as a token gesture to Burns. Mind you an All-Star nomination itself is probably the biggest achievement for Armagh football in over a decade. Well done the Orchard.
If he was playing for Kerry he'd be rated as highly as David Clifford. Fully deserves that nomination.

Tres Bien

I think R O'Neill deserves an all star.

He probably had the best individual display in what was probably the game of the championship against a very good Monaghan side.

He's certainly done more to merit one than the likes of Sean O'Shea or Paudie Clifford this year who both flopped on All Ireland semi final day and doing in trimmings to the likes of Clare, Tipp and Cork ain't going to cut it.

Armagh18

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 09, 2021, 05:29:08 PM

He probably had the best individual display in what was probably the game of the championship against a very good Monaghan side.

He's certainly done more to merit one than the likes of Sean O'Shea or Paudie Clifford this year who both flopped on All Ireland semi final day and doing in trimmings to the likes of Clare, Tipp and Cork ain't going to cut it.
Hard to see him getting one without having at least got to an Ulster final but I agree his performance against Monaghan was as good as anything we saw all year. Having said that theres probably enough Tyrone and Mayo lads deserving one as well. Jack MCarron was class that day as well.

Tres Bien

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 09, 2021, 05:35:07 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 09, 2021, 05:29:08 PM

Hard to see him getting one without having at least got to an Ulster final but I agree his performance against Monaghan was as good as anything we saw all year. Having said that theres probably enough Tyrone and Mayo lads deserving one as well. Jack MCarron was class that day as well.

It's a strange season though, as was last year - no back door for players to impress. Tyrone, Monaghan and Mayo are the only teams who had more than one game against a Div 1 side and the only sides who beat a Div 1 side.

Mayo's form was patchy enough too, two turkey shoots v Div 4 sides, two games where they only really played in the second half and then a final where they flopped. That's the reason I'd expect min 8/9 Tyrone all stars this year. In normal seasons the back door gives opportunities for those who exit the provincials early to add to their form.