The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on January 09, 2017, 05:13:34 PM
Meryl Streep - first off she doesn't know anything about Martial Arts.
Second, how nice of her to show concern for a disable person being made fun of but not a whisper, not a mention from her or anyone else about a disabled white man begin kidnapped, humiliated, video and had a piece of his scalp removed... and all briadcast live on bookface for our viewing pleasure,...
the world is messed up...

Why stop there?

Why have anyone comment on ANYTHING given that there's always some other worse issue of "whataboutery" out there somewhere?

Was the depraved attack on that kid controversial? Is it a political issue? Is anyone defending it? Rationalizing it? Arguing that those lowlifes won't deserve the long prison sentence they're headed for?

If you don't like her commenting on Trump, say so. If you think that the atrocity that happened to that kid has wider implications and warrants further discussion, then address that.

But pointing to some other issue is usually just a way of trying to invalidate a legitimate concern.

easytiger95

Quote from: The Iceman on January 09, 2017, 05:13:34 PM
Meryl Streep - first off she doesn't know anything about Martial Arts.
Second, how nice of her to show concern for a disable person being made fun of but not a whisper, not a mention from her or anyone else about a disabled white man begin kidnapped, humiliated, video and had a piece of his scalp removed... and all briadcast live on bookface for our viewing pleasure,...
the world is messed up...

Trump is the President Elect of the United States - everything he does or says has huge proportional weight not only with his own citizens, but with people around the world. In running for the office, he consented to having his words and deeds judged in the court of public opinion. He is no longer a private citizen. Someone should inform the poor little snowflake of this.

Your post is an exercise in obfuscation and whataboutery - no matter how valid the criticism, if it comes from a source that is not deemed credible to your purposes at the time (Hollywood liberals, Democrats, non-red baseball cap wearing people, quadropeds), then it must be torn down. So of course, why don't you use implicit racism to weaponise what was an absolutely disgraceful incident that happened to a young disabled man?

So in that spirit, let me respond

how nice of Iceman to show concern for a disable person being tortured but not a whisper, not a mention from Iceman or anyone else about a disabled black man being humiliated, assaulted, having a coathanger stabbed into his rectum... and having his white attacker make a plea deal that would ensure that not only would he not see the inside of a prison, but would not even have to go on the sex offenders register,...
[/b]

Yes the world is messed up Iceman - by people like you, who only see horrible incidents as the three (I'm including Trump's awful disabled impression) referenced above, in terms of the ammo it gives you for discussion board arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9gZzjSlFs

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Clearly it's not your fault. It's Meryl Streep's fault.

easytiger95

Quote from: The Iceman on January 09, 2017, 05:47:27 PM
yep its all my fault

Glad to see you're finally taking some personal responsibility for your online words. Well done.

whitey

Lol....no one cares about what Hollywood celebrities think. Sooner the Democrats
wise up  to that the better.

Secondly....how did you like the snide snarky remarks directed towards those who watch football and MMA? Hahaha.....the Democrats will never learn.

I'm all set with listening to a lecture about anything from a person who gave a standing ovation to a child rapist

https://mobile.twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/818484570815397889?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 09, 2017, 06:00:23 PM
Lol....no one cares about what Hollywood celebrities think. Sooner the Democrats
wise up  to that the better.

Secondly....how did you like the snide snarky remarks directed towards those who watch football and MMA? Hahaha.....the Democrats will never learn.

I'm all set with listening to a lecture about anything from a person who gave a standing ovation to a child rapist

https://mobile.twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/818484570815397889?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Iceman obviously cares.

As does Trump! ;)

easytiger95

As does Whitey (who uses lol more than any man his age should).

There is a pattern, though. Ice, White, ....Snowflake???

The Iceman

tiger you are just as guilty as any of us....
I admit that my response to Streep was not fully thought out and showed my frustration more than anything. I'm just upset at how many people (including on here) will openly speak out about democrat issues but if anything (including the somewhat torture of a white man) happens that is aligned to a possible republican agenda then its never brought up - no matter how bad it is.
The world is a mess - on both sides of this dotted line.  I don't sit on either side because I'm Catholic and I don't align to either. I will gladly condemn the wrong on both sides and the stupid issues that people will vehemently stand for because their party does. I've lost countless republican friends/associates because I disagree with their stance on the conflict in Palestine. I've lost many democrat friends because of my stance on abortion.
I'm committed to doing what I can this year to living a good life and caring for people more around me - thank God you're not my neighbour Tiger because you'd make it tough.  Iceman name is in tribute to chuck liddell. Thus the picture. Most snowflakes don't even know who he is.  I'm generation X though I would hazard a guess you're a millennial...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on January 09, 2017, 06:07:23 PM
As does Whitey (who uses lol more than any man his age should).

There is a pattern, though. Ice, White, ....Snowflake???

That's too funny.....one of my kids told me last week that nobody uses lol or omg anymore

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on January 09, 2017, 08:41:08 PM
tiger you are just as guilty as any of us....
I admit that my response to Streep was not fully thought out and showed my frustration more than anything. I'm just upset at how many people (including on here) will openly speak out about democrat issues but if anything (including the somewhat torture of a white man) happens that is aligned to a possible republican agenda then its never brought up - no matter how bad it is.
The world is a mess - on both sides of this dotted line.  I don't sit on either side because I'm Catholic and I don't align to either. I will gladly condemn the wrong on both sides and the stupid issues that people will vehemently stand for because their party does. I've lost countless republican friends/associates because I disagree with their stance on the conflict in Palestine. I've lost many democrat friends because of my stance on abortion.
I'm committed to doing what I can this year to living a good life and caring for people more around me - thank God you're not my neighbour Tiger because you'd make it tough.  Iceman name is in tribute to chuck liddell. Thus the picture. Most snowflakes don't even know who he is.  I'm generation X though I would hazard a guess you're a millennial...

But how is the torture of that kid a Republican issue? Do Democrats deny that black people are capable of horrible criminal acts?

That incident is something that has appalled everyone, no matter what side of the political divide they fall on.

It probably hasn't been analyzed to death here because what is there to discuss? It was a despicable, cowardly act. What more is there to say, at least from a political perspective?

J70

Also, Iceman, you need to pick better friends if they're dumping you because you disagree with them on a single issue. You're better off without such shallow, unsophisticated people.

Puckoon

Fair play iceman for admitting you posted in the heat of the moment. J70 hits the nail on the head in the last couple posts also

stew

I was wrong about Sharpton and Jackson, that said I fail to understand why it took so long to be deemed a hate crime, oh yeah and apologies to blm also, they did make a statement denouncing the incident.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mrdeeds

There have been a lot of important developments in US politics this week so maybe you missed some of these:
1. The President-Elect fired all Ambassadors and Special Envoys, ordering them out by inauguration day. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/06/trump-tells-obamas-ambassadors-to-leave-by-inauguration-day.html
2. House brings back the Holman rule allowing them to reduce any named individual civil servant, SES positions, or political appointee's salary to $1, effectively firing them individually by amendment to any piece of legislation. We now know why they wanted names and positions of people in Energy and State. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/house-republicans-revive-obscure-rule-that-could-allow-them-to-slash-the-pay-of-individual-federal-workers-to-1/2017/01/04/4e80c990-d2b2-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html?utm_term=.37698e2965ce
3. Senate schedules 6 simultaneous hearings on cabinet nominees and triple-books those hearings with the President-Elect's first press conference in months and an ACA budget vote, effectively preventing any media coverage or protest. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/senate-confirmation-trump-cabinet-nominees-233247
4. House GOP expressly forbids the Congressional Budget Office from reporting or tracking ANY costs related to the repeal of the ACA. http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/01/06/gop-voted-to-ban-congressional-budget-office-from-calculating-obamacare-repeal-costs/
5. The President-Elect continues to throw shade on the intelligence community, despite the growing mountain of evidence that the Russians deliberately interfered in the US election. http://www.businessinsider.com/leon-panetta-trump-russia-cia-intelligence-2017-1
6. The President-Elect broke a central campaign promise by asking Congress (in other words, US taxpayers) to pay for his asinine "wall". http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/border-wall-house-republicans-donald-trump-taxpayers/
7. The President-Elect threatened Toyota over a new car plant that was never coming to the US nor will take jobs out of the US. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/01/05/donald-trump-threatens-toyota-but-it-looks-like-he-got-the-facts-wrong/?utm_term=.f54bc657290a
8. House passes the REINS act, giving them veto power over any rules enacted by any federal agency or department--for example, FDA or EPA bans a drug or pesticide, Congress can overrule based on lobbyists not science. Don't like that endangered species designation, Congress kills it. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-regulations-idUSKBN14Q07B
I