Peter Canavan:Ditching league finals would benefit integrity of the competion

Started by dec, March 18, 2024, 02:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0317/1438502-canavan-ditching-finals-would-aid-integrity-of-league/

RTÉ football analyst Peter Canavan believes the time may have come to dispense with league finals, arguing that it would benefit the integrity of the competition.
While no team has officially booked their spot in the Division 1 final in 2024 - though Derry are on the brink - Canavan believes that league finals increase the likelihood of teams picking weakened sides in these circumstances.
Last season, Mayo were already assured of league final place with a round to spare, availing of the opportunity, in the midst of a tight schedule, to rest players for the final game against Monaghan.
Though the match was of little consequence to Mayo, it had huge implications for the relegation battle, Vinny Corey's side grabbing a vital win in Castlebar, which ultimately saw Armagh demoted after they lost away to Tyrone on the same afternoon.
In Canavan's estimation, if the league title was simply awarded to the team that finished top of the table after seven rounds, this would lessen the chances of this scenario occurring.
"The nature of the league with the league finals is that teams that are already through, could play weakened teams," Canavan said on Allianz League Sunday.
"And that could be to the detriment of some team. It could put some team down.
"I would say there would be a lot of support if they decided to look into the structure of the National League, to do away with the league finals. I know that mightn't go down well in some quarters.
"The integrity of the competition is paramount and at the minute I don't think you're getting that.
"And if it was a straight race to the top, then Kerry would be going out trying to win their last game, Donegal and Armagh likewise in their last game in Division 2."

yellowcard

I'd agree with Canavan here particularly on division 2,3 & 4 finals. It would free up an extra week for the calendar. However I don't see the GAA foregoing the gate receipts and scrapping them.

marty34

Yeah, I agree. Whoever comes first wins the league.

Give lads an extra week break until championship.

jmcgdoire

I agree with scrapping them to free up an extra week and i think the team that finishes top should be the league champions simple as that. But im not sure it would totally solve that problem. Eg a team could have the league won after 6 rounds and so field a weakened team in their last game to give their lads rest. this could result in the same situation that canavan described happened last year.

joemamas

Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2024, 02:58:25 PMI'd agree with Canavan here particularly on division 2,3 & 4 finals. It would free up an extra week for the calendar. However I don't see the GAA foregoing the gate receipts and scrapping them.

It is a bit of an embarrassment that teams are trying to avoid playing in the final.
Wonder what the sponsor is thinking about it.
simple answer,
Move the All-ireland final to third Sunday in August.

You could count on one hand the amount of club championships that begin before September,
Why, because all the young fellas who are on their county panels or are on the fringes of it have spent 5,6 or 7 months living like monks, and then decide to travel for a month or two. Good for them.

AustinPowers

Ultimately, the GAA  have created this scenario. If 
Two teams (eg. Arm v Dgl)  go full out  to win  their final, they could be  out again in the championship   a week later.  So of course teams  will prioritise the championship game .

The calendar is  too condensed. Give some time between the league  and championship and the league finals will be more respected  by teams

Eire90

no it make last day more boring as less to play for sometimes

split league in two if concerned with fixtures or have divisions of 6 or 7

Eire90

Quote from: dec on March 18, 2024, 02:32:26 PMhttps://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0317/1438502-canavan-ditching-finals-would-aid-integrity-of-league/

RTÉ football analyst Peter Canavan believes the time may have come to dispense with league finals, arguing that it would benefit the integrity of the competition.
While no team has officially booked their spot in the Division 1 final in 2024 - though Derry are on the brink - Canavan believes that league finals increase the likelihood of teams picking weakened sides in these circumstances.
Last season, Mayo were already assured of league final place with a round to spare, availing of the opportunity, in the midst of a tight schedule, to rest players for the final game against Monaghan.
Though the match was of little consequence to Mayo, it had huge implications for the relegation battle, Vinny Corey's side grabbing a vital win in Castlebar, which ultimately saw Armagh demoted after they lost away to Tyrone on the same afternoon.
In Canavan's estimation, if the league title was simply awarded to the team that finished top of the table after seven rounds, this would lessen the chances of this scenario occurring.
"The nature of the league with the league finals is that teams that are already through, could play weakened teams," Canavan said on Allianz League Sunday.
"And that could be to the detriment of some team. It could put some team down.
"I would say there would be a lot of support if they decided to look into the structure of the National League, to do away with the league finals. I know that mightn't go down well in some quarters.
"The integrity of the competition is paramount and at the minute I don't think you're getting that.
"And if it was a straight race to the top, then Kerry would be going out trying to win their last game, Donegal and Armagh likewise in their last game in Division 2."

if only the league leader wins the league one team could be playing against a team fighting relegation where another team trying to win league his playing a team with nothing to play for no matter what you do your going to have these scenarios.

Eire90

exactly why can they not move all ireland back why the obsession with finishing early.

Eire90

Quote from: marty34 on March 18, 2024, 03:01:21 PMYeah, I agree. Whoever comes first wins the league.

Give lads an extra week break until championship.

lads an extra break is not only a few teams that will be playing the week after league final anyway

Captain Scarlet

I'd agree. There could be some added spice n the last round and the fans would come out and rally locally if certain things were on the line.
Whereas, let's be honest few get riled up by a nice game in Croke Park with one eye on the championship.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Eire90

its the nature of straight leagues to have some teams with nothing to play for on last day you could increase some jeopardy by having the team that comes 3rd bottom enter a playoff promotion/relegation with the team that came 3rd in lower division.

nrico2006

Always been stupid. A league with 7 games and there is a final for top 2. Be understandable if there were 20 games, but not enough teams in the divisions for this setup. Plus you see teams who are near the relegation zone in the penultimate week and nearly make the final by the next.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Eire90

if two teams are competing  for league and there is no final what about the trophy celebration i dont think the gaa are going to employ someone to fly a helicopter like premier league.