Insulation question

Started by Smokin Joe, May 02, 2007, 12:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

A question for builder types or other knowledgable sorts.

I am getting a garage built for me and am considering my insulation possibilities.  In layman's terms what is the difference (in price and performance) of Rockwool 75mm and Kingspan board?

Which would you use in a storey and a half garage where upstairs will be used for storage and a possible playroom?

Brick Tamlin

Bottom line - Rockwool (which is a name used unfairly) or mineral wool, your standard yellow candy-floss type stuff is way cheaper option.
Kingspan or Quinthem is a different kind of animal fitting-wise..you have to cut this stuff yourself and fit into place and this is where the problem lies, if this isnt fitted properly with absolutely no gaps or holes then its absolutely no use or thermal value to you.

At the end of the day it all depends who fits the stuff for you and how they do it, if its only for an upstairs in a garage which has a playroom or gym etc then rockwool would do the job...also ye gotta take into consideration how much sloping ceiling you have, attic truss comb , flat ceiling area etc.

ask any supplier for advice, they should (but dont always) be able to help you out.

Smokin Joe

An Gaeilgoir

another good method of insulation is pumping liquid polysterene beads into the cavity  after the building is up, the roof and windows are fitted and before it is plastered. It saves on the brickies cost and is greast value for money.There are lots of companies doing it now.

Brick Tamlin

or if your the tree hugging type and ye really wanna impress the neighbours, then Warmcel Insulation is the way to go..sprayed on damp applied through a vacuum like tube to everywhere you want it with absolutely no holes or gaps at all, then electronically scraping the excess off dry leaves you with a wonderfully tidy job with frig all wastage, tidier than any man could do it for.
Google it if you can and look into spray on insulations, maybe slightly more expensive than the conventional rockwool but performs better than the standard, achievieng higher U Values and a far better job, ideal for service cavities and easy to work with, also very little drying out time involved, overall a faster, tidier job.