GetOverTheBar

Everyones been shite in here, Klopp, Pep, Ole, Lampard, Arteta

Look-Up!

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 21, 2021, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2021, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 12:11:29 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 20, 2021, 07:54:08 PM
So how the f**k is that first City goal allowed???

Can an attacking player be offside when a defender is playing the ball?

That was a strange goal and I'd be pissed if it was against Utd but by Christ Tyrone Mings is the most overrated footballer bar none. He's absolutely terrible. Against Utd earlier in the year he was dire and he hasn't got any better. I just don't get the hype.
In his defence it was that type of high ball that was always going to take a second touch to get under control. He would have thought he had loads of time and to be fair it wasn't that bad of first touch but was unlucky that he chose to go that side with it. As soon as he turns to get his second touch on it Rodri comes into his field of vision and he panics and messes up a bit.

I don't think that playing the ball has been interpreted in a long time as having it under control.  There have  been plenty of slow motion replays of goals given where the scorer was only onside because the pass to him took a slight deflection from a defender before reaching the scorer.
"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent".

That's the rule as best I can make out.
a) Rodri didn't receive the ball, he tackled Mings while trying to control the ball
b) You cannot gain advantage from a blocked shot

I'd agree it's a very grey area but it's not as clear cut as getting a touch off defender and all rules are off. For me the rule implies a deflected pass coming into the attackers path, not the attacker actively going to challenge and win the ball. So it's offside all day long by my interpretation.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 21, 2021, 05:03:56 PM

That was a strange goal and I'd be pissed if it was against Utd but by Christ Tyrone Mings is the most overrated footballer bar none. He's absolutely terrible. Against Utd earlier in the year he was dire and he hasn't got any better. I just don't get the hype.
In his defence it was that type of high ball that was always going to take a second touch to get under control. He would have thought he had loads of time and to be fair it wasn't that bad of first touch but was unlucky that he chose to go that side with it. As soon as he turns to get his second touch on it Rodri comes into his field of vision and he panics and messes up a bit.

I don't think that playing the ball has been interpreted in a long time as having it under control.  There have  been plenty of slow motion replays of goals given where the scorer was only onside because the pass to him took a slight deflection from a defender before reaching the scorer.
"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent".

a) Rodri didn't receive the ball, he tackled Mings while trying to control the ball

I'd agree it's a very grey area but it's not as clear cut as getting a touch off defender and all rules are off. For me the rule implies a deflected pass coming into the attackers path, not the attacker actively going to challenge and win the ball. So it's offside all day long by my interpretation.

Given your interpretation, yes, it would be offside, but I don't see that the bolded bit above has the implication you read into it.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 05:48:39 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 21, 2021, 05:03:56 PM

Given your interpretation, yes, it would be offside, but I don't see that the bolded bit above has the implication you read into it.
I understand it can be read other ways but that's how I read it. Rodri was onto the track of that ball as soon as it was headed in by team mate. He covered well over 10 yards before Mings touched it.

Long and short of it the rule needs urgent addressing and rewording/clarification. Leaving it to be interpreted as it was last night makes a whole farce out of the offside rule.

Jell 0 Biafra

The rule definitely needs to be looked at, I'd agree.  The whole point of offside is to prevent attacking players from gaining an unfair advantage by (e.g.) goal hanging.  I would think that this kind of goal is the kind of goal offside should disallow.

screenexile

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 07:48:35 PM
The rule definitely needs to be looked at, I'd agree.  The whole point of offside is to prevent attacking players from gaining an unfair advantage by (e.g.) goal hanging.  I would think that this kind of goal is the kind of goal offside should disallow.

He wasn't goal hanging though he ran back and won the ball off a defender who wasn't sure of his touch. I've no problem with that kind of goal at all it's not like he's 20 yards past the defence in a one on one.

reillycavan

Would fear for Burnley. 5 0 to the pool. Origi to score hat trick

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: screenexile on January 21, 2021, 07:59:41 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 07:48:35 PM

He wasn't goal hanging though he ran back and won the ball off a defender who wasn't sure of his touch. I've no problem with that kind of goal at all it's not like he's 20 yards past the defence in a one on one.

I know he wasn't goal hanging, SE, but he did gain an advantage from being miles offside.

Milltown Row2

How many minutes now is it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

How does Mane get away with pushing opponents in every single game and all the diving at the slightest contact

GJL

Quote from: reillycavan on January 21, 2021, 08:01:04 PM
Would fear for Burnley. 5 0 to the pool. Origi to score hat trick

:o

manfromdelmonte

Liverpool have not scored in FOUR games, America have had TWO Presidents in that time

laoislad

Everton have won nothing since 1995. America have had 5 Presidents since then.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on January 21, 2021, 10:13:49 PM
Everton have won nothing since 1995. America have had 5 Presidents since then.
🔥
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

maldini

Are the "mentality monsters" finished?