Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2021, 03:53:19 PM
More strike threats down south. Not happy with vaccine roll out now, think they should be all put up the list. Classy as ever.
Shower of arseholes.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Armagh18

More strike threats down south. Not happy with vaccine roll out now, think they should be all put up the list. Classy as ever.
Should be sacked.

armaghniac

I think they are saying that they should not be put down the list, which is not quite the same thing.
Now they probably should not have been told of a higher position previously, but in part that was to avoid taking more rigourous measures in schools and these should now be looked at if the vaccine priority has changed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Get rid of them

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2021, 05:11:43 PM

I think they are saying that they should not be put down the list, which is not quite the same thing.
Now they probably should not have been told of a higher position previously, but in part that was to avoid taking more rigourous measures in schools and these should now be looked at if the vaccine priority has changed.

Nphet have decided to do the rest of the roll out by age. Again in my medical device factory I have not heard one person crib over getting the vaccine ahead or behind anyone else. A sickening selfish act yet again by teachers unions.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2021, 06:54:30 PM

Nphet have decided to do the rest of the roll out by age. Again in my medical device factory I have not heard one person crib over getting the vaccine ahead or behind anyone else. A sickening selfish act yet again by teachers unions.

To be fair Teachers have been looking of what has been happening from their home since last March, bar a period from September to December. When you have been isolated from the real world of living and working with covid you become fearful.

Tony Baloney

The teachers in the South are getting concerned they won't be vaccinated in time to get away on their summer holidays.

ONeill

Could do with a bit of northern efficiency down there.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 06, 2021, 09:01:41 PM

To be fair Teachers have been looking of what has been happening from their home since last March, bar a period from September to December. When you have been isolated from the real world of living and working with covid you become fearful.

Fearful or selfish? Do they ever look at themselves and think wevare the only group in the country threatening strike during this emergency and by Jesus have nurses and doctors waaay more reasom to strike and they didn't. Its appalling behaviour from a group with no shame.

Itchy

Quote from: The CCCC on April 06, 2021, 10:23:34 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2021, 09:54:04 PM

Fearful or selfish? Do they ever look at themselves and think wevare the only group in the country threatening strike during this emergency and by Jesus have nurses and doctors waaay more reasom to strike and they didn't. Its appalling behaviour from a group with no shame.

Just out of interest, are there any other 'group' in the country who are asked to work inside, in small rooms, with up to 35 other people, where the people in the room are not wearing masks or face guards at the very least?

They've barely worked in a year, get real.

Who should they get vaccinated instead off?

Itchy

Quote from: The CCCC on April 06, 2021, 10:42:03 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2021, 10:29:55 PM

Just out of interest, are there any other 'group' in the country who are asked to work inside, in small rooms, with up to 35 other people, where the people in the room are not wearing masks or face guards at the very least?

They've barely worked in a year, get real.

Who should they get vaccinated instead off?

Ah ha. So it's the fact teachers have been based at home is what your problem is. Not the fact their health could be threatened by the increased risk of catching covid given they are mixing with people from 30+ other families/household in small rooms without masks - which no other workforce has to do.

It is not the fault of teachers that school buildings were closed and they had to work from home. But of course the judgement from someone who has never done the job is that teachers were doing nothing at home.

The best point I could make it don't judge a workforce until you've been in their shoes. You judge the life of a teacher from the outside yet I take it you have never worked as a teacher? So really you wouldn't truly understand their feelings on it.

The biggest point here is the amount of people in a small room and the teachers aren't being protected as not everyone is masked up. Would you happily work in a small room in this way?

Getting schools open is a massive part of getting society and economy etc up and running again. The sensible thing would have been to vaccinate teachers so they were kept safe - given they seem to be the only workforce asked to work unsafely in small rooms with unmasked people - and as you can't seem to given me examples of any other workforce asked to work in this way so there must not be any other examples.

Ah ha nothing. Wrong wrong wrong. Get your head out of your ass and have a look around.

Are your teachers not wearing masks at school? How many teachers have caught covid at school and died? Do you support a 25 year old teacher getting vaccinated ahead of a 50 year old man who works in a shop in retail for example?

dublin7

Supermarket staff are on average older than teachers and mix with far more people during the day. I would say they are in a higher risk category than teachers.

Unfortunately for them they don't have several unions to scream and shout for them and as private sector employees they have far less job security to be able to go out strike or make as many demands as the teachers seem to be doing

dublin7

Blatant ignorance? Every single shop worker in supermarkets, newsagents etc is working in a room bigger than a classroom?

There's not many supermarkets/stores were it's possible to keep 2m away from customers at all times.

Private sector employees have had to work with their employer to get back to work as their livelihood depends on it. Teachers seem to be actively working against the government, dept of education and looking for reasons not to go back to work in the classroom.

Tony Baloney

Older teachers will get vaccinated within their age group and the younger teachers who are lower risk will get vaccinated in due course. Seems like a good approach.

Substandard

I'm a teacher.  I would be totally against any form of industrial action now, and I'd bet the vast majority of my colleagues would be the same.
It's yet another PR disasterclass from the unions banging this particular drum.  Create an avenue towards a priority vaccine for at-risk teachers, fair enough,  but the majority just want to get back to doing the job in as normal a fashion as possible.

Teacher bashing is a convenient storyline for the press to field- just throw out the headline,  and let social media do the rest.  Overpaid, lazy, selfish, holidays, afraid to work, wouldn't know a day's work if it headbutted them, retail workers, doctors, nurses, etc, etc. 
Just what is it people want from teachers, that teachers aren't delivering?  With the amount of expert opinion you come across reading comments on an IT article, homeschooling must be the way forward,  because it's blatantly obvious that teachers either can't or won't or don't want to do the job.

If balloted on industrial action, I'll be voting no.  Not because I'm heroic,  or virtue signalling, or whatever.  It doesn't matter anyway, because I'll be accused either way.  And if it comes up with someone I know- someone who maybe hit a home run on facebook with a vitriolic post, or someone who wades in in the comments section, I get the classic backtrack- not all teachers, sure the school is doing everything it can, etc, etc. 
Yeah, me bollix. 
You know the bit that amuses me most, very often these are the very people that'll bang a drum about mental health,  and the impact the covid restrictions will have on mental health and mental health services.  But if it's a teacher's mental health, pity about them- see above,  lazy, holidays, etc, etc.

The teacher bashing narrative then redirects to the impact the greedy, selfish,  lazy teachers' actions and demands will have on pupils.  Primary school is formative, I teach secondary,  so I see adolescence unfold.  Yes, I would be acutely aware of the stress and toll on the mental health of those either sitting in front of me, or logging in for remote learning.  I also see the impact of those with little or no engagement.  I know those that will catch up, and those that will struggle.  I'll do my best, but it won't be good enough,  because I'm lazy, selfish,  overpaid and only interested in the holidays.

When we came back in September, we were told to start softly,  softly, to get the students readjusted, to be mindful of their wellbeing and mental health,  and not to be causing stress.  It seems a lot of that has gone out the window lately.  I don't recall being told to reverse this, but it looks like it's my fault anyway,  because I'm a teacher.

Sorry...