Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2020, 01:24:50 PM
County Board is a democracy so Niall does not need to infiltrate all he needs to get is people to vote for him.

That was the term Brennan used.

High Fielder

It would take a Duignan type figure, someone with that sort of profile, to infiltrate it. Infiltrate was a good choice of word in my opinion, and I hate that it's a good word. Nobody getting in there without considerable backing.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: redsetanta on November 10, 2020, 01:50:33 PM
Duignan was an outspoken, former player and got elected. Why not the likes of Rigney if he wanted it?

What exactly has changed in Offaly under Duignan ? I would guess nothing and nothing much will change before Duignan bows out in a year or two.   As they say" it's the hope that kills "  . 

High Fielder

And why? Because he'll probably be kicking against the stubbles trying to bring about change. These lads don't like change. These lads like the way they do things. They're in there because they loves their county and it's good for their health.  ;D

portlaoisekid

Its going on years and we have all heard this argument before ...I know people who got involved and tried to initiate change over the years, good people but they quickly saw change wasn't happening and wouldn't happen....Its a matter of join the status quo or leave...

There are good people involved but I'm telling you now nothing is for changing...We will lose good men, good managers and good players because of the lack of ambition of the powers that be in this county...

We are staring down the barrel of losing another group of Laois hurlers. How many times have we done this over the years and it never changes?

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 10, 2020, 03:30:37 PM
Its going on years and we have all heard this argument before ...I know people who got involved and tried to initiate change over the years, good people but they quickly saw change wasn't happening and wouldn't happen....Its a matter of join the status quo or leave...

There are good people involved but I'm telling you now nothing is for changing...We will lose good men, good managers and good players because of the lack of ambition of the powers that be in this county...

We are staring down the barrel of losing another group of Laois hurlers. How many times have we done this over the years and it never changes?

Yawn more like People who want it their way get involved, don't get their way call the rest of them useless before throwing their toys out of the pram calling them a corrupt group of so and so's

Giovanni

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on November 10, 2020, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: Giovanni on November 10, 2020, 12:13:46 PM
I haven't heard the actual recording of the bit at the end but it's very unfortunate. I'm a huge fan of the work that Eddie Brennan has done and clearly he is a bit frutrated (particularly seeing the fine margins that were involved in the Clare game) but I do think it was an error of judgement to vent like that, even if it was off the record.

Giovanni, would recommend you listen to it. It is going around on Whatsapp. It is about 3-4 minutes long. I don't think it was an error of judgement at all. He was dead right. His job is not to placate the county board it is to contrast their support of the senior hurling team setup from what is acceptable, and what is normal in more successful counties. It might be a one sided perspective but it also points to a culture that is not likely to bring success in the future. We really need to do something like what Michael Duignan has done and parachute in someone who cares more about the development of the game than anything else.

Yes, the CB are volunteers that do a lot of good work. Grand, let them look after lights and such things but they should not have the purse strings or decisions on how competitions or run, coaching or on how to develop the games more broadly in the county. Their mediocre performance would suggest they are not up to the job.

I feel that the error of judgement wasn't really about whether he was right or wrong (the evidence of history suggests that he might be right). The error of judgement was venting like this to someone who was outside of the system (and who has his own record of going on solo runs when it suits him). Keeping what's said in the dressing room internal to the group is a basic rule and I don't think that rule should be broken no matter how frustrated you are. I'm sure he knows that and accepts that.

Having said that, I do hope that this isn't considered a hanging offence. It's clear it wasn't meant for public consumption. I hope that fences can be mended and that Eddie Brennan can be supported in staying on. I still think that it shouldn't be that complicated to get a decent supporters club going and with good people like Eddie Brennan involved, there would be something to build fundraising efforts on. There's great support for Laois hurling especially when there is hope of being competitive. We shouldn't waste the opportunity.

finbar o tool

My tuppance worth lads, we had a Savage year last year and went from Joe McDonagh status to Liam McCarthy status, any manager in any sport in the world, after getting a promotion, would want to improve standards and improve resources. It's a no brainer! It looks like our county board don't have the ambition required to do this. They have form, Sugrue wanted to do the same, Cheddar wanted to do the same, what happened? They got told no, f**k off. Same thing is happening again. This recording is brilliant because it tells the truth in no uncertain terms, its also terrible because Brennan will probably walk now, it'll come down to the County board coughing up the resources, or he walks, and I reckon he'll end up having to walk. What manager will want to come in now after hearing what he'll be dealing with if he does.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

portlaoisekid

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on November 10, 2020, 05:45:26 PM

Yawn more like People who want it their way get involved, don't get their way call the rest of them useless before throwing their toys out of the pram calling them a corrupt group of so and so's
My apologies for boring you further but  I certainly wouldnt call our CB useless  as they are very proficient at what they they do, which amounts to self serving BS which hinders the progress of Laois hurling and football  at every level...enjoy your CB meetings  talking about  all the minions daring to question the authority that is so deserved at our top table.

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 10, 2020, 08:53:23 PM
Quote from: thegreeenandgold on November 10, 2020, 05:45:26 PM

My apologies for boring you further but  I certainly wouldnt call our CB useless  as they are very proficient at what they they do, which amounts to self serving BS which hinders the progress of Laois hurling and football  at every level...enjoy your CB meetings  talking about  all the minions daring to question the authority that is so deserved at our top table.

Any names on your good people ? Or is this your regular BS

portlaoisekid

Yes each were assigned a name at birth... and thanks for the compliment.

High Fielder

Looks like Greenandgold was sent out to bat for the CB  ::) - BA was already doing a stern enough job. Nothing to see here. We're all perfectly happy with the way things are. How dare Eddie Brennan, John Sugrue and others try to change things. Upstarts!

burdizzo

If Brennan goes, it'll reflect very badly on the county board. EXTREMELY badly, in fact. And it would be national news. Will that concentrate minds?

BallyroanAbu

I have no skin in the game bar Laois GAA.  Lets play this game the County Board is damned if they do, damned if they don't.  If Eddie Brennan stays they are basically stooges allowing any manager who feels like it to insult them.  If he stays and in a months time, his offered a higher profile job and steps down they look like clowns.  If they sack him now they upset the fans.  Basically your all prepared to let good men sink and your county become a laughing stock,  In the hope you will somehow be magically a top table team.  That takes time and work not some sort of quick fix manager.  But then again many will disagree.   Eddie Brennan has damaged the brand of Laois GAA but nobody seems to care about that.

Any of you insult your employer tomorrow on National Radio, would you expect to be in a job ?

High Fielder

They need to forget their pride and do what's right for Laois GAA. We have all known embarrassment and/or disappointment in life. You just have to put that aside and do what's right overall. If Brennan is the man the players want, then they really are the only ones that matter