Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

The Brothers' Lot by Kevin Holohan

A farce/satire set in the Brothers of Godly Coercion School for Young Boys of Meager Means.

Basically it is dark humour about the abuse scandals in the church run schools and institutions. I liked it a lot though for full disclosure I do know the author.

For today it is available as a free ebook download

http://www.akashicbooks.com/free-e-book-advent-calendar-download-the-brothers-lot-for-free-until-midnight-december-12-2016/

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2016, 05:22:38 PM
Another year, another Harry Bosch book  by Michael Connelly - The Wrong Side of Goodbye.
It's just another can't put down book, read from cover to cover in no time, though by his standards I felt the last 1/4 was weak.
Whenever Mickey Haller makes an entrance into a Bosch book I get the image of Mathew McConaughey , I wonder has the actor's profile of MH subsumed the character in all respects, even to the author?
Hoping to have it in the Christmas pile. I think Mickey Haller weakens the books. The Bosch books are sublime, they don't need a recurring side character.

lurganblue

I'm just about to finish the 3rd book of the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.  I havent enjoyed a series of books like it in such a long time.  I'm a bit behind the times on this obviously since it has been out for a while but i thought i'd come on here and recommend it anyway.

If you liked Game of Thrones then it is an absolute must.

The Iceman

Strong Father, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker. Maybe I should put this in the parenting thread but any of you  lads out there with daughters please read this - it will literally wake you up.  I've done a complete 180 on how I interact with my eldest daughter as a result and it has worked wonders. Definitely worth getting.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Gs Man

Anyone know where I can get a pdf copy of Stephen King's IT?
Keep 'er lit

lurganblue

Quote from: The Gs Man on September 08, 2017, 10:47:05 AM
Anyone know where I can get a pdf copy of Stephen King's IT?

i downloaded a few books recently from piratebay and kickasstorrents

Main Street

Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther is back in Prussian Blue, the 12th book in the series.
It's as good as his best, a great read.

vallankumous

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 07, 2016, 06:11:57 PM
Imagine if you liked the Jack Reacher books.......

I read my second and last a week ago.
Never Going Back (i think)
I just wanted to slap his face in throughout.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Main Street on September 30, 2017, 12:56:45 PM
Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther is back in Prussian Blue, the 12th book in the series.
It's as good as his best, a great read.

Read it recently and it is very good.

ziggy90

Anyone on here have any recommendations for books on the ancient Greek classics? I've a bit more time on my hands these days and have a bit of a hankering to study them.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

andoireabu

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes is a great read. Would make for a good film as well
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

lurganblue

Quote from: andoireabu on February 25, 2018, 02:47:45 PM

Yeah i enjoyed it, if not a little drawn out. Is "The year of the Locust" as good?

mrhardyannual

A great read. Read it a few years ago and have watched for a follow-up from him but havent seen anything.

andoireabu

Quote from: lurganblue on February 26, 2018, 09:39:35 AM

Yeah i enjoyed it, if not a little drawn out. Is "The year of the Locust" as good?

Quote from: mrhardyannual on February 26, 2018, 05:36:17 PM
A great read. Read it a few years ago and have watched for a follow-up from him but havent seen anything.

Hadn't heard of "Year of the Locust". Went looking for it on Kindle but there is only a preview. Book seems to have been out since 2005. Will have to keep an eye out
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Tony Baloney

Year of the Locust should have been released by now but it isn't on general release until Oct 2019 despite Amazon carrying a sampler since 2015! Very strange.