National Games Development Centre

Started by GlenMan, April 04, 2016, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Since the emergence of the new Croke Park stadium. The GAA got confidence in its standing. In the past it was not always been about the GAA taking on other codes in the Capital. But the last decade plus or so it has been and rightly so! You can't just sit on your hands and be happy with your lot. The GAA has taken on a lot of sports in the Capital and they are winning hands down and must be commended. The Problem is they are not playing against these codes in competition. They are playing against the counties in the rest in the rest of the country who are on different investments. So here we are, left with a real whopper of a conundrum. You can't undermine the great movements forward by the GAA and on the other hand you can't have a Intercounty Championship that looses all sense of competitiveness. The leinster Championship is nearly non existent. Second favourites for the title are Kildare at 12/1. And for those who say this is a fad - 11 Leinster titles in 12 years has dominance written all over it.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Rossfan on April 06, 2016, 11:11:37 AM
It's getting like Dublin are the big local Professional soccer club while the rest of us are the small non league cash strapped amateur clubs struggling and looking with envy at the luxury up the road.
At least the big pro soccer club have to play against similar teams and the little clubs don't play in the same competitions.

Stop crying and get over it. Dublin have always had the population, finances and facilities over all other counties except perhaps Tyrone with their 10 million British pound funded centre of excellence. 

Roscommon are division 1. Are in a league semi. Have good young players. Have a experienced GAA man in charge, have a team bus. the future is bright so please concentrate on your own team.

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 06, 2016, 01:36:18 PM
Since the emergence of the new Croke Park stadium. The GAA got confidence in its standing. In the past it was not always been about the GAA taking on other codes in the Capital. But the last decade plus or so it has been and rightly so! You can't just sit on your hands and be happy with your lot. The GAA has taken on a lot of sports in the Capital and they are winning hands down and must be commended. The Problem is they are not playing against these codes in competition. They are playing against the counties in the rest in the rest of the country who are on different investments. So here we are, left with a real whopper of a conundrum. You can't undermine the great movements forward by the GAA and on the other hand you can't have a Intercounty Championship that looses all sense of competitiveness. The leinster Championship is nearly non existent. Second favourites for the title are Kildare at 12/1. And for those who say this is a fad - 11 Leinster titles in 12 years has dominance written all over it.

This has been said a hundred times before. It is very desirable that the GAA fund grassroots development in Dublin, but it is most undesirable if that then feed into county (or club team) that overthrow the competitive nature of the inter-county championship.

But then we always get "I'm alright, I am a Jack, F u" type response.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Indeed Armagh - see the post before yours!!
Obvious way to even inter County competition is of course to split the 1.25 million Dublin into 4 as per the Council areas.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Conor McKeon article in the Heddild yesterday said that the Dublin Seniors won't be using the new facility. Said they are staying in DCU & Inisfails for the next few years. They'll use the new gym in Abbotstown, that they paid to be kitted out - but that's about it. Hard to know who to believe any more. What I do find it hard to believe, is their doing any serious pitch training sessions in full view of everyone. The article isn't up on the Heralds website, so I can't link to it.

Stad

I think even some of the Dubs are questioning it at this stage. What's the point in winning things if you haven't earned it? I wonder do supporters of teams in other sports question the validity of things they won? Like the soccer clubs with billionaires backing them or rugby teams with similar financial backing. I suppose the opportunity for other teams to do similar is possible in those sports but not in the GAA world. In fact, is there any example of another team that gets bankrolled by the actual governing body of a sport like we see with Dublin? It's crazy when you think about it.

INDIANA

Quote from: Stad on April 06, 2016, 05:12:40 PM
I think even some of the Dubs are questioning it at this stage. What's the point in winning things if you haven't earned it? I wonder do supporters of teams in other sports question the validity of things they won? Like the soccer clubs with billionaires backing them or rugby teams with similar financial backing. I suppose the opportunity for other teams to do similar is possible in those sports but not in the GAA world. In fact, is there any example of another team that gets bankrolled by the actual governing body of a sport like we see with Dublin? It's crazy when you think about it.

We've earned all out titles. 

We bankroll a lot of Clubhouses and pitches as well

None of you complain about that.

Other counties simply took their eye off the ball

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It is the reason why attendances at Dublin games have somewhat collapsed in comparison to 10-15 years ago where Dublin Meath games would get 80000+ and a Dublin Kildare game wouldn't be far behind. Now a lot of their fans are waiting until the semi final at least before turning up while opposition fans have given up years ago.

INDIANA

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 06, 2016, 07:59:39 PM

It is the reason why attendances at Dublin games have somewhat collapsed in comparison to 10-15 years ago where Dublin Meath games would get 80000+ and a Dublin Kildare game wouldn't be far behind. Now a lot of their fans are waiting until the semi final at least before turning up while opposition fans have given up years ago.

You've no excuse. You pissed all your resources away paying managers

rrhf

There must be an incredibly strong lobby for the dubs in the halls of power. 

snoopdog

1.46 million buys sam maguire.  Kildare and meath won't buy it with their paltry 46 and 42 thousand each.
Maybe a B championship is required for the other 31 counties who get jack sh1t

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2016, 10:35:19 PM

Kildare under McGeeney:

Highest paid and most expensive management team
Most expensive training sessions in the country
Centre of excellence
Still couldn't win a raffle

Other counties (especially those who's brief period of success coincided wth the 120m GBP windfall from Her Majesty) should concentrate on setting standards in their own counties.

Stad

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2016, 07:48:06 PM

We've earned all out titles. 

We bankroll a lot of Clubhouses and pitches as well

None of you complain about that.

Other counties simply took their eye off the ball

You've bought your titles.

The clubhouses could have been paid for with the millions given to Dublin GAA.

Other counties are still amateur while Dublin are professional.

Stad

It's killing GAA in Leinster. What's the point in even running the Leinster championship anymore?

Stad

Quote from: heffo on April 07, 2016, 08:30:54 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2016, 10:35:19 PM

Kildare under McGeeney:

Highest paid and most expensive management team
Most expensive training sessions in the country
Centre of excellence
Still couldn't win a raffle

Other counties (especially those who's brief period of success coincided wth the 120m GBP windfall from Her Majesty) should concentrate on setting standards in their own counties.

Kildare didn't have 1.5 million every year available to develop players. Dublin did and it's why they've won 3 out of the last 5 All Irelands. They also were helped by all of us paying for their 80,000 capacity home stadium, their training facilities and of course with our money buying them titles it attracted sponsors like aig and a long list of others. This then helped them pay for their extensive backroom team. I could go on but you get the point. So instead of pointing fingers at other counties shouldn't you be showing us some gratitude? We've bought you everything, you're so ungrateful.