Sunrise - Sunset - Why is the hour not changed back earlier in the year?

Started by From the Bunker, February 24, 2016, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Why is the hour not changed back earlier? Like February 28th or March 6th? Why do we have to wait until March 27? God knows we have a long enough dark winter without prolonging it. I'm sure it would benefit Sporting organisations without floodlights, help part time farmers, etc

Why don't they do it earlier?

Captain Obvious

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 24, 2016, 08:57:48 PM
Why is the hour not changed back earlier? Like February 28th or March 6th? Why do we have to wait until March 27? God knows we have a long enough dark winter without prolonging it. I'm sure it would benefit Sporting organisations without floodlights, help part time farmers, etc

there was a letter about this in the Irish times the other day. When the clocks go back daylight is 9 hours 10 minutes. Which is around the duration of daylight now. The Freemasons must be involved in the conspiracy.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2016, 09:11:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 24, 2016, 08:57:48 PM

there was a letter about this in the Irish times the other day. When the clocks go back daylight is 9 hours 10 minutes. Which is around the duration of daylight now. The Freemasons must be involved in the conspiracy.

Exactly we are about a week away from the reversal time symmetry of last October when the hour was changed. Why do we have to endure an extra month of an hour less daylight? Mad!

Rossfan

;Dsame amount of daylight no matter what humans do with their clocks ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Presumably because ROI mirrors the UK's British Summer Time (BST), changes the weekend after the Spring Equinox and runs to last weekend in October (& not the Autumnal equinox).

From the Bunker

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2016, 09:41:07 PM
Presumably because ROI mirrors the UK's British Summer Time (BST), changes the weekend after the Spring Equinox and runs to last weekend in October (& not the Autumnal equinox).

I know it's a case of following Big Brother (UK). So naturally the question is to the UK. Granted there are Spring Equinox issues, but do we have to prolong our winter? Do we?

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2016, 09:41:07 PM

Nothing to do with Britain, these times nowadays are synchronised all over Europe. Although the Brits will probably desynchronise when they leave the EU.

As to why it is this way it is partly because it is still Winter, climatically speaking.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Yer hole it's nothing to with the UK, BST was initiated during WW1, as Ireland was part of the UK it followed suit and never deviated since.

Shamrock Shore

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2016, 10:26:33 PM
Yer hole it's nothing to with the UK, BST was initiated during WW1, as Ireland was part of the UK it followed suit and never deviated since.

"B" ST was invented by the Germans.
And during the war the 26 counties didn't adopt double ST and we in Cross' didn't either. I'm sure Armagh did.

As an aside, after the 1916 Rising the British not only shot James Connolly, but they abolished Dublin Time. Feckers.

bennydorano

The Germans might have been involved in organising a Daylight Savings System, as BST effects the UK I doubt the Kaiser had little to do with it. Ireland as part of the UK followed suit, nothing to do with a Euro-synchronisation - that according to a quick google - occurred in the 70s.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2016, 11:05:03 PM
The Germans might have been involved in organising a Daylight Savings System, as BST effects the UK I doubt the Kaiser had little to do with it. Ireland as part of the UK followed suit, nothing to do with a Euro-synchronisation - that according to a quick google - occurred in the 70s.

The 26 counties uses German time as it is run by Angela Merkel, don't you know?

StGallsGAA

Does anyone remember the year they experimented by not changing the clocks in Oct? Mad summer time they called it.  According to my Da men were standing about on building sites til nearly 10am until they could see what they were doing!