FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Anyone here have any luck purchasing presale tickets this morning?

Main Street

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 17, 2017, 07:50:09 PM
Denmark no where near the ability of the belgiums
The original reference was to the strength of the Belgian team in that 1997 WC play off.

These play offs are naturally stiffer than the Euro 2016 play offs which were contested by 3rd place teams, Our opponents B&H were the top seeds then.
I think we did well to get Denmark, they'll be favourites but not by much and naturally O'Neill will be out to reduce the technical ability deficit. O'Neill's record against the odds in the crunch games, is very good, however this current team is about the weakest play-off team since 1997.

Boycey

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 18, 2017, 01:38:21 PM
Anyone here have any luck purchasing presale tickets this morning?

Logged in at 11 on the dot, was on the move and lost coverage at exactly that moment and wasn't able to try again til about twenty past at which time I got a tough luck message  ;D

Syferus

Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2017, 02:08:24 PM
The original reference was to the strength of the Belgian team in that 1997 WC play off.

These play offs are naturally stiffer than the Euro 2016 play offs which were contested by 3rd place teams, Our opponents B&H were the top seeds then.
I think we did well to get Denmark, they'll be favourites but not by much and naturally O'Neill will be out to reduce the technical ability deficit. O'Neill's record against the odds in the crunch games, is very good, however this current team is about the weakest play-off team since 1997.

Weakest or not they've made three of the last four playoffs and have made two tournaments in the last five years. Better than almost any single period in Irish history bar Big Jack's team. Denmark aren't a world away from Bosnia, if we're being honest.

As individuals we're nothing special but our defensive organisation and spirit have been first class. Generally those things count for a lot at international level.

imtommygunn

Only realised today denmark beat poland 4 nil. Didn't like the sound of that result :o

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 02:21:47 PM

Weakest or not they've made three of the last four playoffs and have made two tournaments in the last five years. Better than almost any single period in Irish history bar Big Jack's team. Denmark aren't a world away from Bosnia, if we're being honest.

As individuals we're nothing special but our defensive organisation and spirit have been first class. Generally those things count for a lot at international level.
I think tournament numbers in recent years have been expanded to.insane levels , Syf . Eg 1988 Euros had 8 teams while most recent had 24 iirc.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on October 18, 2017, 07:08:08 PM

I think tournament numbers in recent years have been expanded to.insane levels , Syf . Eg 1988 Euros had 8 teams while most recent had 24 iirc.

Until last year Euros hadn't expanded in quite some time. We qualified under the 16 team system for 2012 in case you forgot, and this WC is still the usual 32 so you've picked a wrong time to bring up that chestnut.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 18, 2017, 06:20:43 PM
Only realised today denmark beat poland 4 nil. Didn't like the sound of that result :o

They lost to Montenegro at home as well.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 18, 2017, 08:11:20 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 18, 2017, 06:20:43 PM

They lost to Montenegro at home as well.

They're only a few places above us in the rankings - 19 vs, 26. A few results swinging the other way would have had us be the seeded them in this match-up. There's no reason to fear them.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 07:21:38 PM

Until last year Euros hadn't expanded in quite some time. We qualified under the 16 team system for 2012 in case you forgot, and this WC is still the usual 32 so you've picked a wrong time to bring up that chestnut.
Ireland were worst team in the 2012 Euros. It would have been better not to have qualified.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: seafoid on October 18, 2017, 09:35:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 07:21:38 PM

Ireland were worst team in the 2012 Euros. It would have been better not to have qualified.

In irelands defense they were in the same group as both finalists and croatia were pretty slick too. Poland and ukraine being seeded fucked the whole draw up. Still they were dog shit and Trap just lost the plot

bogball88

Lads,
I have 1 nights accommodation going for the Clifton Court Hotel on the Quays for £63 or €70 quid on the night of the home leg game on Tuesday 14th November, which I am no longer able to use and unfortunately I didn't chose the free cancellation option. Double room, if any one wants it drop me a PM. Hotel have said all that is required is to change the name of person staying online

seafoid

I was reading one of the Swiss papers analysing Norn Irn. Limited technique, fighting spirit, gurriers (guerriers).

They call them les irlandais. The Irish. Surely that is beyond the pale for muintir Linfield.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2017, 12:23:24 PM
I was reading one of the Swiss papers analysing Norn Irn. Limited technique, fighting spirit, gurriers (guerriers).

They call them les irlandais. The Irish. Surely that is beyond the pale for muintir Linfield.

Wrong thread.