Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

I'd Russia gets away with this you can be certain China will try it next.

Not sure if Putin is thinking long term. It they seize Ukraine then I imagine most board states will want to join nato there putting Russia in a worse position they are in now.

Also I would say this will be used to justify an EU army in the future which again long term would put Russia in a worse position than they were before.

sid waddell

None of the people bleating about "America" or "NATO" give one f**k for the people of Ukraine.

Not one f**k.

Every word out of them is that of a weasel Russia apologist.

America isn't perpetrating this barbarism.

It is the criminal mafia state that is Russia, led by the Nazi war criminal in chief Putin, which is perpetrating it.

APM

Quote from: sid waddell on February 24, 2022, 02:01:06 PM
None of the people bleating about "America" or "NATO" give one f**k for the people of Ukraine.

Not one f**k.

It is the criminal mafia state that is Russia, led by the Nazi war criminal in chief Putin, which is perpetrating it.

Spot on
Whatever wrong the US has perpetrated, two wrongs don't make a right. 

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: APM on February 24, 2022, 03:42:53 PM

Not one f**k.

Spot on

Its pure whataboutery nonsense. Many here talking about the cuban missile crisis 60 bleeding yrs ago as some sort of argument look even more ridiculous after today.

nrico2006

The sanctions being talked about the other day were a joke, surely Putin wouldn't be worried that a few men he knows have their assets frozen.  As for their economy/oil sales, you could see the like of China becoming an extremely loyal customer to make up the difference.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Sanctions will.be serious

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/24/russia-ukraine-news-invasion-war-nato-putin-sanctions-latest/

A group of Brazilian footballers who play in Ukraine pleaded for help in leaving the country, saying Russia's invasion had left them stranded in a Kyiv hotel where they sought refuge.

"There's no fuel, the border is closed, the airspace is closed. There's no way for us to get out," said centre-back Marlon in the video posted on Instagram, one of 13 Brazilians who play for Shakhtar Donetsk, one of Ukraine's top clubs.

"We're here with our families staying in a hotel because of the situation. We're asking for the Brazilian government to help. That's why we're making this video."

The video shows around 20 people, including the footballers' families, sitting and standing in a room at a Kyiv hotel.

The footballers all play for Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev. The group included international forward David Neres, who recently signed with Shakhtar from Dutch side Ajax.

Itchy

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2022, 01:13:30 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2022, 12:17:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2022, 12:08:02 PM

https://www.ft.com/content/b8b02d31-c258-4e98-8c3c-8cbeabef792e

Western security services, which have accurately predicted the course of events up until now, believe that Putin intends to overthrow the Ukrainian government and install a puppet regime in its place. This "decapitation" strategy will take in not only the central government, but also regional and local governments.

Lists have been drawn up of Ukrainian officials who will be arrested or killed. The military tactics that Russia uses are likely to be extremely brutal — "the kind of thing we saw in Syria and Chechnya", according to one US official.

The deployment of Russian artillery and its air force would mean heavy military and civilian casualties on the Ukrainian side. Some western sources have spoken of 50,000 deaths within a week. The Ukrainian military is determined to fight back. But it is likely to find itself heavily outgunned. The Russian goal may be to surround Kyiv and force the collapse or resignation of the Ukrainian government, led by Volodymyr Zelensky

. The Russians will not want to get involved in urban warfare, if they can avoid it. They are also determined to keep the west out of this conflict. In his speech, announcing the invasion, Putin warned outsiders tempted to interfere that there would be "consequences you have never encountered in your history" — a thinly veiled reference to nuclear war.

For now, the western reaction will be confined to economic sanctions. Fearing that this moment was fast approaching, US and European diplomats have been working on a co-ordinated sanctions package for some weeks. That will be rolled out over the coming days. Russia will now be hit with financial, individual and technological sanctions.

Russian banks will be cut off from finance. Powerful Russian individuals will find themselves unable to travel to the west and will have their assets in western banks frozen. Russia will be cut off from advanced technology — such as semiconductors and aircraft parts. The effects on the Russian economy are likely to be profound. But that is unlikely to divert Putin from his chosen course. The Russian leader himself is not going to go hungry. Instead, he is likely to use the war he has unleashed as an excuse to wipe out the last vestiges of political freedom in Russia. The country will now tilt into full-scale dictatorship, which will make it easier to stamp out any dissent from Russians dismayed by the course that Putin has chosen.

You have to laugh at the hypocrisy of these american experts - Do they mean like the tactics they have used and supported the use off in places like Palestine and Yemen. f**k off you hypocrites.

Why just blame the americans for palestine. No country in the world seems to support the plight of the palestinians which I find incredible.

I didn't, my comment was in reference to the bit in bold which came from a US official. But that being said, America is by far the terrorist state Israels main world sponsor by far.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 24, 2022, 04:06:29 PM
The sanctions being talked about the other day were a joke, surely Putin wouldn't be worried that a few men he knows have their assets frozen.  As for their economy/oil sales, you could see the like of China becoming an extremely loyal customer to make up the difference.

Putin couldn't give a flying f..k if his people where frozen never mind his assets. Even with the Donbas problem there is no excuse for this. It's like Micheal Martin and Simon coveney rolling into south Armagh in tanks just because it's a nationalist area. The man really is a whacked up sociopath.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

A lot depends on what Putin does. If he decapitates the Ukrainian elite and murders the key players as Stalin did in Poland in the Katyn forest then all bets are off.

tyrone08

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 24, 2022, 03:49:54 PM

Not one f**k.

Spot on

Its pure whataboutery nonsense. Many here talking about the cuban missile crisis 60 bleeding yrs ago as some sort of argument look even more ridiculous after today.

Putin is clearly in the wrong here but to play down the atrocities the USA and UK for decades is disingenuous. There is no point in calling out Russia when no one has called out the USA or UK before.

Back on track I am not sure how this is anything other than a short sighted victory for Putin. Surely Russia will end up worse off in the long run which is why i am wondering what the logic in this or is he just another hilter in the making.

lenny

Quote from: tyrone08 on February 24, 2022, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 24, 2022, 03:49:54 PM

Not one f**k.

Spot on

Putin is clearly in the wrong here but to play down the atrocities the USA and UK for decades is disingenuous. There is no point in calling out Russia when no one has called out the USA or UK before.

Back on track I am not sure how this is anything other than a short sighted victory for Putin. Surely Russia will end up worse off in the long run which is why i am wondering what the logic in this or is he just another hilter in the making.

Putin is a megalomaniac and extremely dangerous because he is unhinged. He wants to go down in history and probably feels he's running out of time as he has health problems.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/5b423554-6ce9-49fe-b74c-da41298b565f
A senior western intelligence official has warned that there "is not much time" left until Russia has assembled overwhelming military forces around Kyiv as columns of tanks and troops that have moved south from Belarus link up with airborne and special forces that have fought for control of the city's airports.

"Eventually they will have massive forces [encircling the Ukrainian capital], if not by the end of the day, then tomorrow morning if they proceed at the pace they are moving," the official added.

"I am confident that in the coming hours Russia will seek to deploy an overwhelming force on the Ukrainian capital."

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sid waddell on February 24, 2022, 07:51:42 AM
That's shite.

You talked about "projecting power in the world" and a "defensive war".

The US and NATO aren't projecting power here and Russia is NOT waging a defensive war.

If you cannot come out and state what is happening here, we can draw more than reasonable conclusions about your worldview.

Are you not capable of reading?

When I talk about power projection, I'm not even talking about all of NATO, just the yanks.

When I talk about history, I'm obviously not referring to current events.

That is clear and obvious to anyone with a grain of sense in their brains.

That history is what has shaped the Russian mindset. Rightly or wrongly.
I mentioned the yanks almost starting WW3 twice on 1962-10-27. Twice it was Soviet officers that did the right thing - outside of their standing orders I might add - that stopped things escalating. I'm not sure given current events that you'd find a senior Russian officer with the same gravitas as their paranoia is probably higher than ever.

Anyway - looking at whats going on now - I think Putin's lost the plot. Threats, bravado and even "little green men" are one thing, but he's stepped way over the line here.

As you say - at this point the West have to act, otherwise there is a house of cards ready to tumble.
- Lithuania
- Estonia
- Taiwan
to name a few
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2022, 05:37:16 PM
He wants to go down in history and probably feels he's running out of time as he has health problems.

Scarily that makes quite good sense.

The dying kicks of a megalomaniac that is going to drag loads of innocents into the grave with him.
i usse an speelchekor

rodney trotter

Russian troops have seized the Chernobyl nuclear power plant

https://t.co/6EyVAmsJ0r