McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

another cold day in omagh, nearly as cold as wednesday night and  with just as about as many supporters as well.  hopefully they will be more fans joining me in croker in two weeks time.

SON had a great game, hopefully a sign of things to come

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

orangeman

John Joe Cleary the ref in Omagh just ignored the new rules by and large - had he applied them to the letter, there would have been a lot of players being replaced.

Tyrone were very, very impressive particularly O'Neill - Gareth Devlin was impressive in parts as well.

But you just can't help getting the feeling that the Tyrone team won't have too many newcomers this season.

gerry

i never seen as many ticks in a black book it seemed that the ref was scared to take out the yellow card
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bigfrank

Roll on the national league till we get rid of these new rules that are never enforced and see two teams that actually plan to win each game!! Last few weeks are just promoted friendly matches!

omagh_gael

Tyrone quite impressive today, were some good passages of play despite the conditions! Stevie o neill was v sharp and some great scores from play! Thought cassidy played well, despite some rushes of blood and careless passes, but caught some great ball and set up enda well for his goal! Philly made some impressive interceptions and set up numerous moves from deep. Ref was very inconsistent to both teams and shows why these new rules will cause problems as another ref could have produced more than 1 yellow! BTW it was micky mc gee who attemped to lift Rory woods clean of the ground but didn't get far, you'd need the whole of the full back line for that job, f**k woods has got even bigger!!

Schkite

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 18, 2009, 04:55:44 PM
Tyrone quite impressive today, were some good passages of play despite the conditions! Stevie o neill was v sharp and some great scores from play! Thought cassidy played well, despite some rushes of blood and careless passes, but caught some great ball and set up enda well for his goal! Philly made some impressive interceptions and set up numerous moves from deep. Ref was very inconsistent to both teams and shows why these new rules will cause problems as another ref could have produced more than 1 yellow! BTW it was micky mc gee who attemped to lift Rory woods clean of the ground but didn't get far, you'd need the whole of the full back line for that job, f**k woods has got even bigger!!

Yeah the jersey was sticking to him! He generally peaks in the summertime I think though, best time for it I suppose. A good example is last year when he had a shocker in the first round against Fermanagh, but was great in the next 2 games, brilliant against Donegal in particular. This lack of training in November/December would have hampered him more than most.

Maguire01

Woods is always big at this time of the year. Give him another two months and he'll be in shape.

Entertaining enough game today and O'Neill really was the difference. I'd be happy enough with the game for this time of year - when it went to 7 points, Tyrone could have powered on, but Monaghan clawed it back a bit.

As for the ref, yes, he could have shown a few yellow cards (to both teams under the following rules:
- To pull down an opponent
- To trip an opponent with hand(s) or foot
- To bring an arm around the neck of the opponent
The funny thing is that under the old rules, these incidents probably would have resulted in a yellow card!

Oh, and soup/tea/coffee a great idea for this time of year. Bloody freezing.

milltown row

aye i thought Monaghan were playing an extra man ;)

red hander

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 18, 2009, 05:48:48 PM
Was in Omagh today, fcuk it was freezing. Very good display today by Tyrone, 1-18 is great scoring at this time of the year.  Has to be said that I think it will take some team to beat Tyrone this year come championship time.  Midfield impressive today with McGinley & Cassidy getting the better of Clerkin & Finlay.  Up front SON & Cavanagh...what else can you say, their performances said it all.  I think we are going to have a very strong panel the year and it looks like we now have cover for every position, roll on 2009  ;D 

Aye, enjoyed that today all right ... if we can avoid the injury curse that hits us after winning Sam then we'll be there or thereabouts

downgirl

Will the final be in Casement again?  Or does it depend on who gets through?  Have flights booked home for next weekend anyway so fingers crossed!!  ;D

Mid Down Gael

Any one know tyrone team and scorers from today?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 18, 2009, 06:25:28 PM
Any one know tyrone team and scorers from today?

18 Jan 2009

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Rd 3

Tyrone 1-18 Monaghan 0-17

Tyrone - J Curran, M McGee, Joe McMahon, P Jordan (Captain), D Harte, P Donnelly, M Swift, E McGinley (1-1), A Cassidy, R Mellon, T McGuigan (0-1), R Mulgrew, G Devlin (0-2), S Cavanagh (0-7), S O'Neill (0-7)

Monaghan - P McBennett, D McArdle, M McNulty, G McEnaney, V Corey, J Conlon, C McManus (0-1), D Clerkin (0-1), P Finlay (0-1), K Hughes, S Smith, D Freeman, C Hanratty, B McKenna, T Freeman (0-10)

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=739

Over the Bar

7 points again for O'Neill.  From waht I;ve seen so far he's improved even further from his 2005 form.  Scary!

orangeman

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 18, 2009, 06:46:00 PM
7 points again for O'Neill.  From waht I;ve seen so far he's improved even further from his 2005 form.  Scary!

If he returns to his 2005 form, he'll give a lot of defenders a lot of sleepless nights. If he returns to anywhere near the consistently good form he had in 2005, Tyrone supporters will be very pleased.

Schkite

Quote from: orangeman on January 18, 2009, 06:49:49 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 18, 2009, 06:46:00 PM

If he returns to his 2005 form, he'll give a lot of defenders a lot of sleepless nights. If he returns to anywhere near the consistently good form he had in 2005, Tyrone supporters will be very pleased.

The signs are good so far anyway, he showed some moments of real class there today.