Clare v Mayo Round 3A Qualifier

Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: rosnarun on July 03, 2017, 10:30:48 AM
i hate enns must be the worst county ground in the country.

It's a terrible ground. The terraces are literally crumbling under your feet. At least it's a short walk from the pubs.

AZOffaly

They did a lot of work on it there last year....

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 03, 2017, 01:32:00 PM
They did a lot of work on it there last year....

Been a couple of years alright since I was there for a hurling match. I wondered how it even passed health and safety at the time.

omagh_gael

Will Clare stick Brennan on O'Shea? That will be a good battle.

shark

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 03, 2017, 01:39:42 PM
Will Clare stick Brennan on O'Shea? That will be a good battle.

It would surely be the other way around. Brennan will be midfield no matter who Mayo have there. O'Shea may or may not be, as we have seen in the past. Brennan's midfield partner O'Connor is a fine player too. It will indeed be a good battle, and one that Clare will have to win if they are to come out on top. They have the ability to run up a high score, but they are used to winning midfield (even against Kerry). It may be hard for them against Mayo who have many options there.

mrhardyannual

I can't see what all the fuss is over Ennis. It's a fine big pitch which will suit Mayo if they revert to a fast running and passing game. As stated elsewhere it is also the ground in which many of the Mayo squad won All Ireland medals. Provided the lessons are learned from the games against Galway and Derry I think we will progress.
We started the last day with five half backs, Durcan, Keegan, Boyle, Coen and Vaughan. Given that neither Boland  or Aidan O Shea are prolific scorers it puts fierce pressure on Andy, Cillian and McLoughlinn to do the finishing. I'm not convinced about Coen. He made himself free to receive kick outs in the first half particularly and his distribution was okay but he is over-cautious when moving into attack. His best games for us were played from CHB ( replacing Keegan on Connolly after the dismissal) and in U21 final.
While Keegan seems okay to play, Harrison could be in doubt with a recurrence of the old injury, so perhaps the same full back line as started against Galway. I would like to see Keegan back on the wing with Boyle on the other .. which leaves Coen/Vaughan at centre back. Diarmuid O Connor and Doc/McLoughlinn on the wings with AOS in centre, Cillian at FF( where he did the most damage with lay offs) with Andy and Loftus/Doc/McLoughlinn in the corners. Parsons to be partnerred by Seamie with Kirby in reserve.The temptation to play AOS at midfield will be great but I feel he does better when given the freedom to roam from centre forward.
Intertesting day for Ballyhaunis man Eoghan Collins who declared for Clare under the "grandfather rule" this year. A cousin of Paudge and Sean he has hurled for Mayo and started in one or two FBD games.

Taylor

Game is live on RTE on Saturday with Kilkenny v Waterford on Sky after it

highorlow

QuoteIt's a fine big pitch

Is it?

The last time we played a championship game there it was against Tipp. We were nearly beaten.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

WT4E

Quote from: Taylor on July 03, 2017, 02:45:25 PM

Great - Another 70 mins of AOS diving round the place winning handy frees for COC to knock over.

zzz

Syferus

The Mayo lads must produce a rating spike only bettered by Dublin such is the frequency their games get chosen as the live game..

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on July 03, 2017, 03:06:03 PM
QuoteIt's a fine big pitch

Is it?

The last time we played a championship game there it was against Tipp. We were nearly beaten.

im sure it was grand ground in the 70's or whenever it was painted last . reminds me of tuam if you were 1st in the ground you would not be sure of a good view of the game.
i've worries about the pitch or the mach  more my own and mayo fans comfort. like the town a Dump
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2017, 03:10:09 PM

The Mayo lads must produce a rating spike only bettered by Dublin such is the frequency their games get chosen as the live game..

and always give good value
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

You're correct. Its a big field. I measured it there. In fact McHale is small in comparison.

I said coming out of the game the last day that we need to have an away match anyhow. It's as if the lads are under too much pressure at home. It will be interesting to see how we on.

Clare fairly tore Roscommon apart last year.

Quotelike the town a Dump

I don't know what part of Ennis you were in but the town centre and general pubs and atmosphere in the town is great.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on July 03, 2017, 03:16:32 PM
You're correct. Its a big field. I measured it there. In fact McHale is small in comparison.

I said coming out of the game the last day that we need to have an away match anyhow. It's as if the lads are under too much pressure at home. It will be interesting to see how we on.

I don't know what part of Ennis you were in but the town centre and general pubs and atmosphere in the town is great.

TBH we were a beaten docket that night and Clare had so many chances to finish us off fast but couldn't find the skill to actually do it. It was only late on that Clare put gloss on the game after Podge cheated Mulhooly out of the game with a scummy dive.

Most D2 or even good D3 teams would have beaten us off the field that night. Honestly wasn't impressed by Clare. Brennan is some operator but that was really all there was. Definitely not as good as Derry but they are at home.

shark

Quote from: highorlow on July 03, 2017, 03:16:32 PM

Agree. I like Ennis.