NHL Semi Finals

Started by AZOffaly, April 16, 2007, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I don't think anyone has mentioned this so far today, so I'll start. Thank God I eschewed the temptation of Nenagh yesterday in favour of the double header in Thurles. Not so much because of the quality on display in Semple Stadium, but the action in Nenagh would have given me a stroke.

The first game in Thurles yesterday had the very distinct feel of Kilkenny saying 'Ye think ye are on the way back? Ye are in my arse' as they simply blitzed Wexford. They could have won this game by as much as they wanted to, and only Darren Stamp's great finish for a meaningless goal in garbage time ensured Offaly the dubious pleasure of heaviest defeat of the weekend.

All over the field Wexford were outplayed, and Kilkenny's stick work , while not 100% just yet, and physicality mean they are already shaping up as clear favourites for the Championship this year, and any team that is going to beat them will have to stand up to them physically, and try to spoil them. Wexford did not have the bodies OR the strength of will for that yesterday. From the first moment when Cha Fitzpatrick batted down for Fogarty to goal in the first minute, the tone was set, notwithstanding Darren Stamp's first goal, also a cracker. Stamp's goal only proved to be a minor irritation though, as the likes of Brennan, Fogarty, Cha Fitz, Lyng et al tore Wexford asunder. Skippy Ruth looked totally at sea in on Cha in the first half, and the whole KK forward line were in front of their men all day. Doc O'Connor was about the best of them, but even he had som hairy moments. In the second half Ruth improved slightly, but I have the feeling that improvement came about as he adopted a more agricultural approach to stopping Cha, and the ref didn't have the interest in stopping the game for a plethora of frees.

Rossiter was a severe disappointment at centre back for the Yellowbellies as well. Eoin Larkin didn't hurl up a storm, but he still comfortably controlled that area for the Cats.

All in all it was fairly forgettable, and Wexford will have to forget it if there promising form up to now is not to be wasted coming into the Championship.

The second game was an entirely different affair. Bordering on championship intensity at times, it is a big win for Waterford in that it was a close game, right to the wire, and they had the extra kick at the end to finish it. That sort of experience and feeling cannot be bought. It has to be earned and may stand to Waterford at the business end of the summer.

They seem to have unearthed a full back in Declan Prendergast, he had a stormer, especially in the second half, although there is a nagging feeling that Ken McGrath is too loose at #6 and Prendergast may be needed to shore up that area, which would again rob Peter to pay Paul. James Murray again looked very ill at ease in the corner, while the Decie Eoin Murphy looked a little unsure at times, but was solid enough.

The half back line is the best and worst of Waterford, especially in relation to McGrath and Brown. The have beautiful stickmen there, but McGrath especially is very open. He lets the Centre Forward play his game, and Ken concentrates on his own. Against Niall McCarthy you are not going to be crucified for that, but against a Shefflin/ Comerford/ Fitzpatrick/ Larkin, you could end up conceding 7 or 8 points from play.

Brick Walsh got through a power of work, especially in the second half, and Jack Kennedy was lively all throughout at midfield.

Up front is another conundrum for Waterford. Against the likes of Diarmuid O'Sullivan and Sean Og, Dan Shanahan and Seamus Prendergast are a little timid. I don't mean cowardly or anything, but they certainly are not a physically dominating as you would expect given their size. They seem very susceptible to being 'hooshed' off the ball. Waterford looked a much better outfit when Eoin Kelly went into Full Forward and started running O'Sullivan all over Semple Stadium. Shanahan went to the wing and Waterford looked dangerous. I'd be positioning the big lads on the 40 and let them win the ball there. Shane Walsh, Eoin Kelly and Mullane have the legs to threaten anybody and Mallumphey is a great little worker.

Justin McCarthy though, seems to have trouble deciding what is his best layout, and in my opinion is far too quick to make changes for the sake of it. And even when things are going well, he changes again. I would guess that the Waterford forwards played in at least 3 different positions each yesterday, which is very unsettling as a player, especially if you are going well in the position you are being moved from.

All in all a great win for Waterford, and Cork won't mind too much either, as it was a good hard game in their preparation. Ronan Curran was excellent at Centre Back I thought, while Sean Og and Tom Kenny had their moments. The O'Connors were quiet enough overall, although Ben, a late replacement for Joe Deane, looked lively enough. Corks problems still lie with Scoring forwards I think. There is a big dependency on long range frees from O'Connor, Gardiner etc, and yet again they never really looked like they were going to score a pile of goals.

The second game made it a good days entertainment, but the comedy moment was Diarmuid O'Sullivan's own goal. Great to see :)