How many does your club get at training?

Started by mylestheslasher, August 06, 2011, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

The club I am with now is really struggling with training numbers. Reasons are emigration, more lads working evening shifts (pubs etc),  other sports and mostly they just don't care enough. Just wondering if lads could share how their clubs training is going, if numbers are low, why is that and has anyone come up with any innovative ideas to improve the situation?

INDIANA

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 06, 2011, 12:17:27 PM
The club I am with now is really struggling with training numbers. Reasons are emigration, more lads working evening shifts (pubs etc),  other sports and mostly they just don't care enough. Just wondering if lads could share hoe their clubs training is going, if numbers are low, why is that and has anyone come up with any innovative ideas to improve the situation?

We're getting bashed with emigration even though we're a city club. Lads just cant find work here. Lack of a fixture list is a major problem for lads with families. they just cant plan anything.

AidyMac

During the week, we would have small enough number, but at the weekend, we would be in the mid 20's, which is good for a rural club.

On a side note, what it the standard with other counties in relation to championship.
We have a player, whose father sadly passed away this week.  The funeral is on Sunday. We requested that the game be called off, but were told by the CB that this would not be accepted as our game is on the saturday.  Is this normal?

orangeman

Quote from: AidyMac on August 06, 2011, 12:54:13 PM
During the week, we would have small enough number, but at the weekend, we would be in the mid 20's, which is good for a rural club.

On a side note, what it the standard with other counties in relation to championship.
We have a player, whose father sadly passed away this week.  The funeral is on Sunday. We requested that the game be called off, but were told by the CB that this would not be accepted as our game is on the saturday.  Is this normal?
[/b]

Not normal custom or practice - shame on them.

DuffleKing

Pretty sure that's covered in byelaws, which will vary from county to county. The game would be off in armagh

fitzroyalty

17-20 midweek, 20-25 matchdays. Panel of about 36.

Zulu

I'm involved in a pretty successful club in Britian but we would have as little as 5 - 7 at some training sessions. It's been better the last few weeks with probably 15 or 16 there on average but it is very difficult to get and keep a panel together. I'm sure there are decent footballers in the city but we can't seem to find them and many of the players we have are very poor.

In terms of getting lads out, well we just let it tick along for a good while as we don't have any knockout games until August but we've been putting a bit of pressure on lads recently and it seems to have worked. If we had done it earlier I think we would just have turned more lads off. We also try to organise a few nights out to get lads familiar with each other and build a bit of team spirit.

Ultimately though I think it comes down to the attitude of teh players, if they want to play you can do things that will encourage them but if they don't it doesn't matter what you do.

neilthemac

sometimes its worth spending a few bob on getting a well know trainer in for one or two sessions just to get interest going
or going away for a challenge game in a bus and having few drinks in pubs on the way home

a lot of lads play GAA for the social element as well as the winning of games.
to neglect that aspect means fellas would see it as a chore to attend training.

I used to always appreciate if there was a cup of tea and sandwich after training. especially after a long drive home to attend training. 10 minutes chance just to chat to lads

supersarsfields

We would have struggled in years gone by to get 20 out for training. But the last couple of years have seen an improvement. At the start of the year we had 40+ at training. Now we would usually still be hitting the 30 mark at least. At game time we would have 45ish out. And we would be a div 3 club in Tyrone.
We're reaping the benifits of a lot of hard work put in at underage recently and the fact the club is well run from the top.

Canalman

Massive decrease in numbers this year in both football and hurling. Have lost heaps of lads to England. Not a great buzz about the club as well.

ck

My club are blessed with numbers however I'd be happy to swap 9 or 10 of our lads for 2 or 3 of your good players! lol
We get 25+ at training and are 2nd from bottom in our league.

Offalylad

Quote from: AidyMac on August 06, 2011, 12:54:13 PM

Nope, that would(and should) be cancelled in most counties.