All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: J OGorman on September 22, 2014, 12:18:10 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2014, 12:05:23 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on September 22, 2014, 11:57:11 AM
there is a risk that this years All-Ireland will be re-named the Joe Brolly Cup, in the same way that 2003 was the pat Spillane cup.

So the final yesterday wasn't a "great advert for the game" but where the f**k is the instruction manual which says that "EVERY FINAL MUST BE PLAYED TO A SUPERLATIVE LEVEL OF STYLE AND PANACHE"

I say f**k joe Brolly and his opinion about puke football in the same way i said f**k Pat Spillane and his opinion of Tyrone in 2003.

The All-Ireland is for winning - its not a beauty contest. We were spoiled by the highest standards of the semi finals which preceded yesterday, and it it is completely wrong to be-grudge Kerry as winners or castigate Donegal for losing.

It is what it is.

Zeitgeist. Its the spirit of now...its how football is played today.

Brolly was w**king on last night about "clubs up and down the country will be mimicking this style of football.."
Really?

Crossmaglen will change? as will Ballinderry...and of course Dr Crokes and Castlebar and St Vincents

Will they f**k....in the same way as the semifinals didnt make everyone want to play like Mayo, Dublin etc...

That is the beauty of our code - that there is a dogged determination to win, where the medal and cup means more than any money.

Fair play to Kerry...enjoy it...you deserve it. Commiserations Donegal...roll on 2015.
Tyrone Abu

Club teams don't have to mimic it- they are long doing it.

Kerry crowed long enough about puke football. Brolly is quite right in saying that the irony this morning really is quite something

Kerry popped their cherry and entered the dark side yesterday

There is no going back for them

you Dubs needy put away the crystal balls. Kerry lifted Sam in a championship year that included the unbeatable Dubs. You got it all wrong against Donegal were as Kerry got it spot on. Kerry, best team in the country this year. Plenty of emerging talent with the experience of winning and the Gooch to come back. Could be there or there abouts next year. Have the weaponry and skill set to beat any system by the looks of it. Id say Gavin will have learnt more watching that game than any game Dublin were involved in this year

Dublin completely underestimated Donegal and Kerry didnt get the credit for the amazing job they did on mayo...small things make the biggest impact...Durkin kick out and the width of the goalpost separated the 2 teams yesterday...
Well done Kerry, hard luck Donegal...C'mon TYRONE TO f**k Hi!
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

INDIANA

there is a risk that this years All-Ireland will be re-named the Joe Brolly Cup, in the same way that 2003 was the pat Spillane cup.

So the final yesterday wasn't a "great advert for the game" but where the f**k is the instruction manual which says that "EVERY FINAL MUST BE PLAYED TO A SUPERLATIVE LEVEL OF STYLE AND PANACHE"

I say f**k joe Brolly and his opinion about puke football in the same way i said f**k Pat Spillane and his opinion of Tyrone in 2003.

The All-Ireland is for winning - its not a beauty contest. We were spoiled by the highest standards of the semi finals which preceded yesterday, and it it is completely wrong to be-grudge Kerry as winners or castigate Donegal for losing.

It is what it is.

Brolly was w**king on last night about "clubs up and down the country will be mimicking this style of football.."
Really?

Crossmaglen will change? as will Ballinderry...and of course Dr Crokes and Castlebar and St Vincents

Will they f**k....in the same way as the semifinals didnt make everyone want to play like Mayo, Dublin etc...

That is the beauty of our code - that there is a dogged determination to win, where the medal and cup means more than any money.

Fair play to Kerry...enjoy it...you deserve it. Commiserations Donegal...roll on 2015.
Tyrone Abu

Kerry crowed long enough about puke football. Brolly is quite right in saying that the irony this morning really is quite something

you Dubs needy put away the crystal balls. Kerry lifted Sam in a championship year that included the unbeatable Dubs. You got it all wrong against Donegal were as Kerry got it spot on. Kerry, best team in the country this year. Plenty of emerging talent with the experience of winning and the Gooch to come back. Could be there or there abouts next year. Have the weaponry and skill set to beat any system by the looks of it. Id say Gavin will have learnt more watching that game than any game Dublin were involved in this year

The best team every year wins the AI I wouldn't dispute otherwise

However there aren't many Kerry players if want up transfer to Dublin at the moment where as the 2001-2009 Kerry teams were full of players you'd want

That leads me to believe we will be right up there next year.

Jinxy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 22, 2014, 12:15:50 PM

It is what it is.

Really?

Tyrone Abu

The biggest irony is that spillane was still proclaiming them as the purists of football.
I have absolutly no problem with the way kerry played yesterday, every team is entitled to play whatever way they want within the rules to give themselves the best chance of winning.
It didnt make for the greatest of spectle, but thats not thier problem.
What is hard to stomach is listening to Pat spouting that only donegal in the last 5 years had won an allireland playing defensive football. Did he not watch yesterdays game?
He has given out yards in the past about mcguiness playing the best FF in irealnd out round the middle of the feild, but not a word about it yesterday when Kerry did the same with james odonaghue.

In fairness, that is a reaction.
JOD has played inside in the FF line all year and has been scoring for fun.
Murphy plays out around the middle as a rule now because his manager has decided that's where he wants him to play.
Can people really not get the difference between being forced to play a particular style of football and choosing to play a particular style of football?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

There's no reason you won't be Indiana but you learnt a harsh lesson about "pure football". How you respond to that will be interesting.

Though in saying that getting a half back line to hold their position would be a good start.

J OGorman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2014, 12:23:54 PM

It is what it is.

Really?

Tyrone Abu

The best team every year wins the AI I wouldn't dispute otherwise

However there aren't many Kerry players if want up transfer to Dublin at the moment where as the 2001-2009 Kerry teams were full of players you'd want

That leads me to believe we will be right up there next year.

Dublin will of course be right up there next year. Who will be with them though? Do Mayo have the stomach for another rattle? Donegal ditto. Do Kerry have the drive for back to back titles? Cork could win the thing, or implode again. Are Armagh on the verge?

Jinxy

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that Dublin lost to Donegal because they tried to play too much football.
Connolly could and should (and would normally) have killed that game stone dead in the first half and there would be no sneering at 'pure football' or talk of Dublin's 'naivety'.

lenny

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 11:47:58 AM
I don't know why some northern posters are hopping up and down about Kerry cynicism.
They're no saints but let's be clear about this, they played the way they had to on the day.
That same team has been involved in two of the greatest games I've ever seen (last years and this years semi).
Donegal have one way of playing, which reduces 90% of the games they play to a mind-numbing game of schoolyard bulldog.
I've never held Kerry up as any type of shining example, I don't believe in sacred cows, but as indifferent as I was to the result yesterday, it was better for the game that Kerry won.

Spillane is a dose and i don't often agree with him but he is right when he said kerry didnt play with 2 sweepers, they just left their half backs in position. Donegal played out the game the way their gameplan was set up and probably would've won but for a couple of major errors. The limitations of their gameplan were laid bare in the last seven or eight minutes when kerry played keepball outside the donegal 45 metre line while donegal stayed in their zones like unthinking robots. They got their last score in the 65th minute and barely regained possession after that and made no effort to pressurise kerry to regain possession.

Goldengreen

Congrats to Kerry worthy Champs,

gutted after the final whistle game, we never got going at all. But at the same time proud of both teams getting to the final in the first place, never expect to be sitting in Croke Park on The Third Sunday  this year shouting on two Donegal teams, so well Done and thanks for the memories.

Just mention memories, I was at the game with my Da , wife and our son (who turns 1 in a few weeks time). But for my Da to be at an all-Ireland final with his Grandson was, will be one of his lifes ever lasting memories, he is in his mid-80s now so chances of that happening again are quite more and more slim.

Just on one indident after the game yesterday admist the Kerry Celebrations, we got up from our seats and head up the steps home after the game, when one Kerry woman made a bee-line for my Wife and son, She said she was looking over a good few times at our son and it made her think of her own young boys back home and they could come to the game and she though our wee man was great, she had bough one of them small Sam Maguire lapel pins but insited that my son have it, as she said at least he will bring a Sam back to the hills. So thank you to that  Kerry Woman and the gracious Kerry people. That moment realy eased the pain and made me proud to be part of such a great organisation in the GAA, You can talk about dour game etc but thats what it mean to be in the this great sporting orgnasitation.

See you all in killarney for the league in March.

Dún na nGall Abú!

INDIANA

Quote from: lenny on September 22, 2014, 12:30:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 11:47:58 AM
I don't know why some northern posters are hopping up and down about Kerry cynicism.
They're no saints but let's be clear about this, they played the way they had to on the day.
That same team has been involved in two of the greatest games I've ever seen (last years and this years semi).
Donegal have one way of playing, which reduces 90% of the games they play to a mind-numbing game of schoolyard bulldog.
I've never held Kerry up as any type of shining example, I don't believe in sacred cows, but as indifferent as I was to the result yesterday, it was better for the game that Kerry won.

Spillane is a dose and i don't often agree with him but he is right when he said kerry didnt play with 2 sweepers, they just left their half backs in position. Donegal played out the game the way their gameplan was set up and probably would've won but for a couple of major errors. The limitations of their gameplan were laid bare in the last seven or eight minutes when kerry played keepball outside the donegal 45 metre line while donegal stayed in their zones like unthinking robots. They got their last score in the 65th minute and barely regained possession after that and made no effort to pressurise kerry to regain possession.

Kerry played with a five man cordon across the middle consisting of their whole Half forward line and midfield . Got some good pictures of it yesterday.

They also played with two spare half backs as you say. At all times Kerry had upwards of 12 players in their own half when donegal entered that region. That's a pretty clear blanket defence in my eyes

yellowcard

Given the players that Jim Gavin has at his disposal it was an abject failure on his part not to win an All Ireland this year. An astute manager will more often than not prevail over the most talented group of players and it was proven again this year. Fitzmaurice done what Jack O'Connor couldn't do with much better players.

Jinxy

In terms of the status of this Kerry time, i.e. good, great etc. those of us who are fortunate enough to have witnessed our county win Sam know that sometimes you win one when you don't expect to.
I certainly didn't expect us to win one in '96, we had superior teams in '97 & '98 who I fully expected to win another All-Ireland which didn't materialise until '99.
So our best team (97/98) was book-ended by two inferior teams, who both actually won the damn thing.
Sport is funny like that.
You take the cup when it's up for grabs.

larryin89

Some mighty comments , fine lines etc.

If Mayo had of put Kerry away the first day , if Connolly had of netted , would it all of been different . I dont agree the best team in Ireland always win the all Ireland thats for sure, knockout competitions have a habit of not always producing the best team in it as the winner. I still believe Dublin are the best team in Ireland and Mayo second best.

There needs to be a change to the structure of our main competition, the big teams need to play eachother more often . It will happen eventually and we will have a fair and competitive race for Sam , unfortunately it will take another while though.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

yellowcard

Quote from: larryin89 on September 22, 2014, 12:52:03 PM

If Mayo had of put Kerry away the first day , if Connolly had of netted , would it all of been different . I dont agree the best team in Ireland always win the all Ireland thats for sure, knockout competitions have a habit of not always producing the best team in it as the winner. I still believe Dublin are the best team in Ireland and Mayo second best.

There needs to be a change to the structure of our main competition, the big teams need to play eachother more often . It will happen eventually and we will have a fair and competitive race for Sam , unfortunately it will take another while though.

I'd agree with that. A tactically astute manager will cover up his teams deficiencies and Fitzmaurice done this very well. However they relied on a lot of luck with refereeing decisions against Mayo and Durcan's clanger yesterday. I would imagine that Kerry will improve from this year though with Cooper to come back and a few younger lads coming through off that Hogan Cup/AI minor team. I'm not sure what the future holds for Donegal though, I suspect that it might be the last we see of some of this side like Lacey,Kavanagh, Toye, Gallagher, Durcan etc. Even more so if McGuinness quits.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: larryin89 on September 22, 2014, 12:52:03 PM

ah thats an entirely different thread altogether but a good point.

The criticism v Kerry (and Mayo for that matter) has always been the lack of games they play to get to a final, and that the Ulster teams have to go through a serious run...but where do you go? I'd hate to see the Anglo Celt Cup being diluted or relegated in priority....the idea that the NFL should be more prominent but then....hard one to call....
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

NaomhBridAbú