Sam Maguire 2024 Group 2 - Dublin, Mayo, Roscommon, Cavan

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 13, 2024, 01:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

I can understand provincial winners getting a home advantage first game but asking Ros to play Dublin and then a rested Mayo following Saturday is not a level playing field in the group stages. But then again sure that's nothing to be complainin' about - have you heard a Cork hurling game was not free to air and they had to watch on GAAGo? The tyranny.

From the Bunker

Quote from: weareros on May 24, 2024, 03:07:42 PMI can understand provincial winners getting a home advantage first game but asking Ros to play Dublin and then a rested Mayo following Saturday is not a level playing field in the group stages. But then again sure that's nothing to be complainin' about - have you heard a Cork hurling game was not free to air and they had to watch on GAAGo? The tyranny.

There's no such thing as a level playing field in the group stages. Group stages are designed for the Dublin's and the Kerry's. After that it is made as hard as possible for the chasing few.

highorlow

Hopefully Jarlath Burns will change this shitshow for next year, for both codes.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

armaghniac

Quote from: weareros on May 24, 2024, 03:07:42 PMI can understand provincial winners getting a home advantage first game but asking Ros to play Dublin and then a rested Mayo following Saturday is not a level playing field in the group stages. But then again sure that's nothing to be complainin' about - have you heard a Cork hurling game was not free to air and they had to watch on GAAGo? The tyranny.

The issue here is a that all Provincial finals are not on the same weekend and that is because they are all guaranteed to be on TV and in theory people want to see them. of course, people have an interest in the Ulster final most years, and the Connacht final some years, the other two are not very interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tubberman

Quote from: armaghniac on May 24, 2024, 05:22:50 PM

The issue here is a that all Provincial finals are not on the same weekend and that is because they are all guaranteed to be on TV and in theory people want to see them. of course, people have an interest in the Ulster final most years, and the Connacht final some years, the other two are not very interesting.

They should put Leinster and Munster finals on the Sat, and Connacht and Ulster on the Sun of the same weekend.
Possible clashes with big Munster hurling games, but that seems to be inevitable regardless.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

onefineday

So what's the thinking re attendance at today's potential classic? Tough timing given competing attractions in rugby and soccer and I'm sure there's more than a few people like myself who attended last year's version who have decided to give this a miss.
They're predicting 25k, but I wonder how many will actually pass through the turnstiles - sub 20k?

Blowitupref

Decent competitive half in Croke Park with some fine scores from play. Dublin 0-10 Roscommon 0-9

Dublin showed their clash in the end to win by 12 but a harsh scoreline on Roscommon when you consider it was 0-17 to 0-13 on 65 minutes and they missed to frees just before Dublin got their first goal.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thewobbler

County football isn't fair full stop. You could f**k around with championship structures and dates every year for the rest of your life, but for as long as the bigger counties get multiple bites of the cherry, then the smaller counties will get no closer to winning Sam.

——-

Croke Park should be a concert venue only at this time of year. Every game hosted in it looks like an old women's FA cup final ie crap.

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 25, 2024, 05:44:09 PMDecent competitive half in Croke Park with some fine scores from play. Dublin 0-10 Roscommon 0-9

Dublin showed their clash in the end to win by 12 but a harsh scoreline on Roscommon when you consider it was 0-17 to 0-13 on 65 minutes and they missed to frees just before Dublin got their first goal.
They blew us away last few minutes as we ran out of steam.
5 or 6 points margin would be more like it.
We gave it a good shot for 55 minutes or so.
Cox had a great game, some excellent scores by Diarmuid and Daire too.
Higgins abd McCormack great men to drive forward.
On to the biggest game of the season next Saturday against that crowd.
We cant have them batin us 3 times  in the one year!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

onefineday

Quote from: onefineday on May 25, 2024, 08:35:53 AMSo what's the thinking re attendance at today's potential classic? Tough timing given competing attractions in rugby and soccer and I'm sure there's more than a few people like myself who attended last year's version who have decided to give this a miss.
They're predicting 25k, but I wonder how many will actually pass through the turnstiles - sub 20k?
Official attendance not given apparently, but I heard them estimate less than 10,000 on rte radio.

Rossfan

If only 7,000 jackeens want to see their only (officially) home Championship game of the year let them at it.
It was their choice of venue.
Meanwhile Ballybofey was packed.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

What did the Roscommon player get a black card for? It looked like he was pulled down by the Dublin player

Blowitupref

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 26, 2024, 01:35:32 PMWhat did the Roscommon player get a black card for? It looked like he was pulled down by the Dublin player

Was coming together of two players I don't think it was even yellow card offence never mind a black card. Not the first time that ref Derek O'Mahoney has handed out odd black card.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 26, 2024, 02:39:17 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 26, 2024, 01:35:32 PMWhat did the Roscommon player get a black card for? It looked like he was pulled down by the Dublin player

Was coming together of two players I don't think it was even yellow card offence never mind a black card. Not the first time that ref Derek O'Mahoney has handed out odd black card.

From the Hill it was clear that after the ball was played the Roscommon player extended his arm across the Dublin player's chest to prevent him following the play. They then tangled and ended up on the ground. It was a clear black card.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Blowitupref

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on May 26, 2024, 04:36:51 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 26, 2024, 02:39:17 PM

From the Hill it was clear that after the ball was played the Roscommon player extended his arm across the Dublin player's chest to prevent him following the play. They then tangled and ended up on the ground. It was a clear black card.

Needs to be deliberate body collide for it to be deemed a black which IMO wasn't the case in that incident.