Laois - Bits & Pieces

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 31, 2019, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Happy New Year Bruce, sounds like it was a tough year. Stay strong.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

RIP Johnny Dalton. Filled many of the less glamorous roles on LCB over many years. Put a lot of time into juveniles and raising money for charity. A well respected man who encountered some unfortunate personal tragedy.
Another Laois Gael departed.

BallyroanAbu

Junior Ex Laoistalk

RIP Johnny, another true Laois Gael who never sampled the joys of success other than one Leinster title after all his hard work..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The PRO

I was very sorry to hear about Johnny's passing. He was a gentleman and always had a smile on his face. Losing two children was an awful cross to bear.

Zooming around

RIP Johnny. A very nice man with a bit of a divil in him. A very likeable character and he will be missed. May he rest in peace. 

steven seagal

RIP Johnny, would meet him regularly, he'd talk GAA or politics til the cows came home. He didn't have it easy, but always seemed to be in good spirits, condolences to his family.

Gmac

Was he a Laois minor selector in the early 90s ?

Hospital Pass

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2021/0111/1189062-long-term-cahir-healy-bows-out-of-laois-gaa/

Congrats and Thanks To Cahir on what was a great career, effectively retiring.
Probably the most dedicated Footballer/Hurler of his generation in my opinion.
All players make a personal sacrifice to play county/club nowadays but he went above and beyond. 

The Boy Wonder

Very good interview with Cahir in today's Irish Independent (you won't see it all online without a subscription)
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/people-were-asking-why-do-you-go-back-and-forth-sure-i-was-living-my-dream-cahir-healys-laois-obsession-39958624.html

If ever a player belonged to the ranks of genuine Laochra Gael it is surely Cahir Healy.
What a contribution he has made to his club and county.

Hopefully he will enjoy some more years with St. Brendan's and London.

Keyser Söze

I see LT have a podcast on the go with Liam O' Neill. I haven't listened yet, but look forward to doing so. I wonder is there any chance he could be persuaded to stand for the Chair in the next year or two?
He's done everything else, and it would probably benefit any future runs for Laois County Council also. Things are certainly less challenging than the last time he held office in Laois.

I would love to see it. A traditionalist in ways, he also has taken some very progressive stances over the years. I'd imagine Laois Camogie & LGFA would be delighted to see him get there, or at least they should be.

It's probably unlikely, and I'd imagine unprecedented for an ex president to return to county officership,  but it would be great.

SpeculativeEffort

Thanks for that Liam 👍😉

Keyser Söze

on the hop

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 15, 2021, 03:10:44 PM
I see LT have a podcast on the go with Liam O' Neill. I haven't listened yet, but look forward to doing so. I wonder is there any chance he could be persuaded to stand for the Chair in the next year or two?
He's done everything else, and it would probably benefit any future runs for Laois County Council also. Things are certainly less challenging than the last time he held office in Laois.

I would love to see it. A traditionalist in ways, he also has taken some very progressive stances over the years. I'd imagine Laois Camogie & LGFA would be delighted to see him get there, or at least they should be.

It's probably unlikely, and I'd imagine unprecedented for an ex president to return to county officership,  but it would be great.

interesting interview, very traditionalist in his view on some things especially I thought in relation to the amalgamation of teams. they are his views and he is entitled to them. not surprising that he wouldn't accept his part in the current Dublin destruction of leinster football, in fairness Stephen pushed him a bit on it and he really didn't cover himself in some of his answers, a bit flippant I thought. A more aggressive interview would have exposed him but this was more a wide ranging interview and this was only a part of it.

Keyser Söze

I listened to the 2nd part this morning, not impressed unfortunately and I'd have to agree with you OTH.

Should have been challenged a lot more on Dublin funding, Sky & amalgamations.
Possibly wasn't the platform, so wouldn't have expected SM to go too hard on him, but he'd have been torn to shreds on another platform.

Everyone's entitled to their views and opinions, but you can't square some of his stances (protect the small man/club at all cost) with others (everyone has Sky TV anyways), and I'd prefer to go to games than watch on TV (his access to tickets might be slightly better than most people's).
Very simplistic view on Mayo's failings v Dublin. Don't think this is far off a direct quote; "They need to get someone in to work on their mindset because they simply give up with 10 minutes to go".

For a man who claims he was never afraid to try & fail and he spent serious energy on proving how correct he was in many instances! I suppose that's human nature.

Not trying to character assassinate the man either, he has some remarkable achievements to his name, and Laois GAA have benefited greatly from some of these.