The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on October 03, 2016, 06:10:47 PM
I always find comments like "Arsenal have lost their way" to be very empty.

They've got two of the absolute superstars of the league in Sanchez and Ozil, and a squad brimming with talented players who play good football, and have an amazing habit of winning games in the last few minutes.

Even with unlimited spending power, Chelsea, City and United can't match their consistency in the EPL.

I know everyone wants their club to win trophies, but there's only two trophies that matter to a club like Arsenal and every year there's 4 live challengers for one of them and half a dozen live challengers for the other. Declaring them as underachievers for not toppling either in a decade is trite.
They are the Cork hurlers of English soccer.  I think they are disappointing but that is just my view

laoislad

But Cork hurlers have a decent enough history....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hectic

They've got two of the absolute superstars of the league in Sanchez and Ozil, and a squad brimming with talented players who play good football, and have an amazing habit of winning games in the last few minutes.

Even with unlimited spending power, Chelsea, City and United can't match their consistency in the EPL.

I know everyone wants their club to win trophies, but there's only two trophies that matter to a club like Arsenal and every year there's 4 live challengers for one of them and half a dozen live challengers for the other. Declaring them as underachievers for not toppling either in a decade is trite.

I suppose they set their own high standards and despite looking the real deal many seasons have continually come up short and often due to a period of the season where they lose their way.  But you are correct, their level of consistency for about 20 years is admirable and why I could never understand supporters wanting Wenger hounded - careful what you wish for and all that though I suppose by the law of averages being a very decent team for that long and not having a major trophy in about 10 yrs (unless you count the modern F.A. Cup) you would have to question is their some sort of mental weakness there.

Fuzzman

Wondering what you Spurs fans think of Sissoko so far. Did he get injured on Sunday?
Great win v Man shitty which I didn't see coming in Kane's absence. Looks like Son is stepping up well.
What's the story with hitting the penalties between them two. Was there any official word afterwards?

T Fearon

What a great last few minutes from the lads and Harry in particular to grab victory from the jaws of defeat and preserve the unbeaten record!

stew

Wegner has transformed Arsenal and deserves tremendous credit forvtge way they play and especially the financial health of the club and new stadium, that said his brief is to bring the club league and cup wins, he has failed on both fronts, there have been times they were so close a player or two would have made a difference yet he failed to pull the pin and that killed Arsenal.

I think he is a brilliant manager, that said he needs to rediscover his winning touch and he needs to do it this season.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hectic

The thing that has to give Spurs supporters encouragement this season is that they have played none and are still in and around the mix - watched the game on Sat night and they were second best for long periods yet managed to come through.  Big ask at this stage in Champions League though!

seafoid

Quote from: Hectic on November 21, 2016, 10:52:52 AM
The thing that has to give Spurs supporters encouragement this season is that they have played none and are still in and around the mix - watched the game on Sat night and they were second best for long periods yet managed to come through.  Big ask at this stage in Champions League though!
CL is a long term project. Look at Man City

Hectic

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2016, 11:11:31 AM

Yeah I suppose after their previous run under Arry I was maybe expecting a bit more given they are a more complete team now though Wembley def a contributing factor IMO.  Will do very well to take anything from Monaco - I see the other game in the group is being played early so at least they will know what they have to do though regardless that is probably win both games.

Cunny Funt

No such thing as a long term project for CL. When the Premier League was strong the best teams in England would be there or thereabouts to winning Europes premier prize.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 21, 2016, 06:40:48 PM
No such thing as a long term project for CL. When the Premier League was strong the best teams in England would be there or thereabouts to winning Europes premier prize.
It is iterative  . Chelsea needed a few goes
Man City failed to get out of the group how many times?
PSG similar

What is interesting about the competition is how few teams win out of nowhere. Red Star Belgrade did it before the League format. Porto 04. Maybe Liverpool 05

Otherwise it is a stitch up between the big teams.
Very few clubs have won compared to the numbers that have lost finals .
GF is more open.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2016, 06:47:57 PM
PSG similar

What is interesting about the competition is how few teams win out of nowhere. Red Star Belgrade did it before the League format. Porto 04. Maybe Liverpool 05

GF is more open.

Red star Belgarde were an outstanding team if it wasn't for war they would have won more and Yugoslavia would have won the Euros in 92.

Chelsea won their first premier league title in 05 they reached the CL semi final that year losing in controversial fashion however Liverpool going on to win that CL proved how strong the English league was then compared to now where Manchester City need many tries to get out of their group while Tottenham currently struggle to get out of a group that is weaker than a previous one they qualified from.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2016, 06:47:57 PM
PSG similar

GF is more open.

Yea, we need a back door.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

The champions league began in 1993 it has produced fourteen different winners. The wins per country has been France 1,Italy 5,Netherlands 1,Germany 3,Spain 9,England 4 and Portugal 1.

In comparison with our own elite or be amateur competitions since 1993 eleven different teams has won the senior football All Ireland and only six Kilkenny,Cork,Offaly,Wexford,Clare,Tipperary has won the small ball hurling.

Hectic

And what would the stats be for the last 5 to 10 yrs when money has become more and more influential in both soccer and Gaelic games?