Dublin v Laois

Started by Unlaoised, June 19, 2018, 10:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

If Dublin was split they'd all be getting on their first 15s ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Hound on June 21, 2018, 08:41:49 AM
I'm actually a bit worried about whether discord might raise its head in the Dubs camp this year. Like any successful team there's been a great bond and togetherness between the team of the last few years. It had threatened to go pear shaped about 5 years ago when Philly and Diarmo had serious fisticuffs at training, but they sorted that out and it brought everyone closer.

This year we've had Connolly leaving. Now it's certainly not all to do with Gavin, but the fact they don't really get on hasn't helped. And Gavin certainly didnt go all out to try and get him back onboard.

There have been rumours circulating, totally unsubstantiated, of a few of the sub forwards not being happy with their opportunities, or lack thereof, and in particular of the stated policy of training impacting on teamsheet not being adhered to.

Dubs have had a lot of injuries in defence during the league, and actually down to the bare bones with Howard being relocated from wing forward to wing back leaving the back 6 as Fitz-Philly-Lowndes, Howard-McCarthy-Cooper with only Daly really left as an adequate replacement.

But now McCaffrey, O'Sullivan, Small and Davy Byrne are all going to be available, so who gets left out? Some big decisions coming up and there's going to be some disappointed experienced players.

Okay its definitely easier to keep everyone happy when you're winning, but its harder when you're telling experienced All Ireland winners who are still at the top of their game in their own heads, that they're only on the bench. Will be interesting to see how Gavin manages to keep the happy camp.

In summary, Dublin's primary weakness this year is the fact that they have too many good players.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Jinxy on June 21, 2018, 09:55:55 AM
I'm actually a bit worried about whether discord might raise its head in the Dubs camp this year. Like any successful team there's been a great bond and togetherness between the team of the last few years. It had threatened to go pear shaped about 5 years ago when Philly and Diarmo had serious fisticuffs at training, but they sorted that out and it brought everyone closer.

This year we've had Connolly leaving. Now it's certainly not all to do with Gavin, but the fact they don't really get on hasn't helped. And Gavin certainly didnt go all out to try and get him back onboard.

There have been rumours circulating, totally unsubstantiated, of a few of the sub forwards not being happy with their opportunities, or lack thereof, and in particular of the stated policy of training impacting on teamsheet not being adhered to.

Dubs have had a lot of injuries in defence during the league, and actually down to the bare bones with Howard being relocated from wing forward to wing back leaving the back 6 as Fitz-Philly-Lowndes, Howard-McCarthy-Cooper with only Daly really left as an adequate replacement.

But now McCaffrey, O'Sullivan, Small and Davy Byrne are all going to be available, so who gets left out? Some big decisions coming up and there's going to be some disappointed experienced players.

Okay its definitely easier to keep everyone happy when you're winning, but its harder when you're telling experienced All Ireland winners who are still at the top of their game in their own heads, that they're only on the bench. Will be interesting to see how Gavin manages to keep the happy camp.

In summary, Dublin's primary weakness this year is the fact that they have too many good players.

We'll happily take some of them off your hands
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on June 20, 2018, 09:58:51 AM
Will anyone outside of Dublin or Laois even bother to watch this game?
One thing for sure if Laois lose we won't be locking this thread out of sourness of being beaten.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rossfan

What do you mean IF....?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 21, 2018, 09:55:55 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

https://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/laois-have-skills-to-give-dublin-a-real-leinster-final-test-37035493.html

Some patronising rubbish from Whelan in this article. Obviously tuned for his Dublin audience.

Name checks 35 year old Ross Munnelly as threat, now I was a big fan Ross back in the day, but Ross will be eaten alive by Dublin's defenders.
#newbridgeornowhere

mup

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 22, 2018, 11:04:06 AM
https://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/laois-have-skills-to-give-dublin-a-real-leinster-final-test-37035493.html

Some patronising rubbish from Whelan in this article. Obviously tuned for his Dublin audience.

Name checks 35 year old Ross Munnelly as threat, now I was a big fan Ross back in the day, but Ross will be eaten alive by Dublin's defenders.

That's it really.

Crete Boom

I think maybe the rumours are normal around such a well run squad and throw in the pressure of trying to equal Kerry's four in a row then the whispers can become incessant roars especially in a fan's mind!! Gavin has show to be adept in keeping a highly competitive and once in a generation talent wise squad together without much fuss but the pressure of wining four in a row  must be huge even for the current Dubs setup.
On Connolly while they obviously didn't get on I don't think Jims rules or beliefs are the main reason he is gone because I am sure he was felxible with him to a point just as he turns a blind eye to Philly McMahon's media profile (which must privately annoy such a low profile charcter) or how he indulges Cluxton's need to play every single game despite this impacting on squad depth which Jim has been determined to build in every other position especially during the league and early championship games. Looking fom outside though Gavin seems to be an excellent man manager so if I were a Dubs fan I wouldn't worry too much about how he marshalls the boys returning from injury with the lads perfoming well in their absence.
I think the Dub fans should be happy with the tweaks which Gavin has introduced during the league and champioship so far, and the form of Mannion and McAuley especially. Gavin seems to have moved on the game plan slightly as he expects to come up against the new younger Kerry team to negate their strengths and maybe only us (which is a big if as we try to even reach the super 8's) can throw a spanner in the works as Dublin v Mayo championship games just seem to be an old fashion all out battle because of the way both teams match up in the middle third when both teams are at top form.Galway should trouble the Dubs with the forward talent they have but I think the tactics Kevin Walsh favours could well see Galway struggle in Croke park and the super 8's. For me only injuries could catch out Gavin and the Dubs with the extra games in the All Ireland series this year.

Cunny Funt

I see the margin of victory for Dublin on Sunday looking at the odds is 29 points. Now I know it's the best side v Laois who were playing division 4 football this spring but surely Laois won't be so poorly organized to allow themselves to ship a defeat like that in a provincial final?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 22, 2018, 02:31:22 PM
I see the margin of victory for Dublin on Sunday looking at the odds is 29 points. Now I know it's the best side v Laois who were playing division 4 football this spring but surely Laois won't be so poorly organized to allow themselves to ship a defeat like that in a provincial final?
It's half that

Gmac

Quote from: Gold on June 20, 2018, 11:23:44 PM
This Antrim man may take a spin down the road. Enjoyed the Laois keeper v Carlow...why not tear on out...sure anyone can fill in in goals

Fancy the Dubs to win by how many they want but would love to see Laois get ahead and make a game if it

Realistically its best team ever v Div 4 and could be a 20 point plus win for the Dubs if they want it to be

Im just looking forward to the Carvery and anything else is a bonus!
good man make sure u shout for Laois

Hardy

Only only about 40 hours to go. I'm beside myself at this stage. I don't think I can stand the tension.

laoislad

That's the spirit Hardy.
The last time someone other than Dublin won Leinster was Louth in 2010, here's hoping Laois can do the same.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: laoislad on June 23, 2018, 08:54:01 AM
That's the spirit Hardy.
The last time someone other than Dublin won Leinster was Louth in 2010, here's hoping Laois can do the same.

I notice that the kick-off time of England's World Cup game has a brought forward to avoid a clash with the Dubs game. They don't want to lose viewers to the SuperDubs.

COYBIB
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8