County GAA Crests.

Started by AZOffaly, January 19, 2018, 02:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 20, 2018, 12:49:24 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 05:41:40 PM
The offaly lads were outside the Pale but faithful to England according to Wiki.
If you weren't so ignorant and studied your history you would know the Offaly lads did their bit unlike the Galway lads queuing up to join the Connaught Rangers
Politically it doesn't make sense. Offaly was planted and had loads of Unionists  . It was quiet in 1798.

This sounds more likely :

http://www.hoganstand.com/county/offaly/forum/details/67053
"Offaly acquired the name 'Faithful County' from a local journalist in the 1950's, called I believe Harry Burke. Offaly competed without success for many years, but always believed that better times were around the corner, so they always had faith.
Offaly won their first O'Byrne Cup in 1954, and in 1960 the breakthrough arrived when Offaly won their first Leinster SFC title. They retained the title in 1961, and reached the All Ireland final where they lost narrowly to Down, in a game watched by 90,500 spectators. Down had made the breakthrough in 1960, and a great friendship between the teams was established and continues to the present. "

Or else this

"it was actually a former President of the G.A.A. who gave Offaly the title of Faithful County. His reasoning was that in times of serious emigration Offaly fielded teams at all levels of the Leinster Championship in both hurling and football."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Faithful because it didn't rebel in the nine years war during the Elizabethan era I'd say more like

LooseCannon

Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2018, 03:08:16 PM
The offaly lads were outside the Pale but faithful to England according to Wiki.
If you weren't so ignorant and studied your history you would know the Offaly lads did their bit unlike the Galway lads queuing up to join the Connaught Rangers
Politically it doesn't make sense. Offaly was planted and had loads of Unionists  . It was quiet in 1798.

This sounds more likely :

http://www.hoganstand.com/county/offaly/forum/details/67053
"Offaly acquired the name 'Faithful County' from a local journalist in the 1950's, called I believe Harry Burke. Offaly competed without success for many years, but always believed that better times were around the corner, so they always had faith.
Offaly won their first O'Byrne Cup in 1954, and in 1960 the breakthrough arrived when Offaly won their first Leinster SFC title. They retained the title in 1961, and reached the All Ireland final where they lost narrowly to Down, in a game watched by 90,500 spectators. Down had made the breakthrough in 1960, and a great friendship between the teams was established and continues to the present. "

Or else this

"it was actually a former President of the G.A.A. who gave Offaly the title of Faithful County. His reasoning was that in times of serious emigration Offaly fielded teams at all levels of the Leinster Championship in both hurling and football."

What unionists, lord rosse?
Biggest **** in the county.

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on January 20, 2018, 06:50:40 PM
Let's have some fun with this.

1) The players like to buy each other flowers
2) They'd prefer to sail off to somewhere else
3) They need sewing machines to make big girls blouses
4) They added an All-Ireland medal at the bottom to associate the crest with gaelic football

Or I could be wrong about 1, 2 3 and 4.

Nah, you're spot on there.

Snapchap

Lads, lads, lads, don't fight. So long as yis keep electing FF/FGers then yis are BOTH counties of traitorous lickspiddles.

Owenmoresider

Sligo:
The mountain is Benbulben as is shown just about every time there's a game covered by TV in the Park, you get a fine view of it on the run into town from the dual carriageway and it dominates the North Sligo landscape thereafter.
The shell is from the county's Irish name Sligeach, "a shelly place".
The book I'm not sure about, only that it is also on the County Council crest as was used previously. Might be a nod to Yeats but don't really know.

magpie seanie

I couldn't post the crest so I didn't put up a comment.

The book signifies the legendary Battle of the Book (to every cow its calf, to every book its copy) where the battle was fought on the slopes of Benbulben.

The county council crest also has a wild boar signifying the wild boar that killed Diarmaid as he protected his beloved Grainne. Also on Benbulben.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

A stylized Bridgid's cross, which goes back to the days of the Tuatha Dé Danann. I'm not a fan of the Kildare GAA bit and would welcome a return of the serpent.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 19, 2018, 11:10:03 PM
There's a wee bit of a difference between the official (ie County Council) Mayo crest and the gah one. The elements of both are identical but there are two different logos.
The official one has one version, (Dia is Muire Linn) whereas the  GAA one usually has Críost Linn (Christ Be With Us) instead.
The elements are the same and there are a number of these.
The nine trees represent the 9 medieval baronies.  The official name of the county is Maigh Eo, the plain of the yew trees so the 9 displayed are yew.
The church on the hill stands for Croaghpatrick and the four crosses each denotes a diocese. Usually, these are displayed with a double-barreled (or whatever) one on top the other three. (Told ye this was complicated, didn't I?)  ;D
That's known as a Patriarchal Cross and the little ones are Passion Crosses. (No, I don't have an effin' clue either.)
The boss cross represents the archdiocese of Tuam and ye can take yer pick with the other three, Achonry, KIllala and Kilmacduagh-Kilfenora.
Finally, the ship highlights the fact that Mayo is a maritime county.

Christ. They must have missed the memo that they were designing a sporting body's logo, not a church's crest. Who designed it anyway?

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on January 23, 2018, 10:02:24 PM

A stylized Bridgid's cross, which goes back to the days of the Tuatha Dé Danann. I'm not a fan of the Kildare GAA bit and would welcome a return of the serpent.

Is the serpent something to.do with Naas?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Did St Brigid bring the snakes in, and St Patrick drive them out?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: seafoid on January 23, 2018, 10:09:28 PM

Is the serpent something to.do with Naas?

It is from the Naas town council coat of arms which was the similar to the county council's one until 1991 when the county changed. Kildare GAA changed too shortly after unfortunately.

Itchy

Little bird invaded the image!!

On left we have lakes and hills to signify the cavan landscape.

Red hand and 1886 signifies Ballyconnel first Ulster gaa  club, first gaa club formed in Ulster.

Franciscan Abbey: The mediaeval tower from the Abbey in Cavan Town fills the lower quadrant. Here the O' Reillys invited the Fracciscans to establish a monastery. The O'Reilly chieftains are buried here. Here also lies the remains of Ulster's great leader, Eoghan Rua O'Neill

Breifne:The ancient Gaelic territory. Modern Cavan was once "O Reilly country" and the ancient gaelic kingdom of Breifne is preserved in the name of the home pitch in Cavan and on the crest.

laoislad

The Laois GAA Crest incorporates the outline of the county boundary map and includes the Rock of Dunamase,The Timahoe round tower and Saint Fergal of Aghaboe Abbey as well as a football and hurl obviously.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on January 23, 2018, 11:01:47 PM

The Laois GAA Crest incorporates the outline of the county boundary map and includes the Rock of Dunamase,The Timahoe round tower and Saint Fergal of Aghaboe Abbey as well as a football and hurl obviously.

I see you've photoshopped out the crown.