Donegal in the summer

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2017, 05:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I spent a few days in Donegal during the week.It's a place I haven't spent a great deal of time in.However I expected pubs full of craic and traditional music sessions etc at night,instead I found practically empty pubs and ghost towns like Carrigart,Downings,Creeslough etc. Is this the norm at this time of the year (mid August?)

JimStynes

They heard you were coming Tony! Donegal is lovely when the weather is nice. It is like a time warp though, everything seems about 30 years behind.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2017, 05:27:48 PM
I spent a few days in Donegal during the week.It's a place I haven't spent a great deal of time in.However I expected pubs full of craic and traditional music sessions etc at night,instead I found practically empty pubs and ghost towns like Carrigart,Downings,Creeslough etc. Is this the norm at this time of the year (mid August?)
Pubs are not in the best of health these days. The Gaeltart as they call it is usually good in the summer. Otherwise I would go to a festival.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Why this worry about pubs doing badly? Everything seems to be measured as to the state of the country, by how many are in the pubs. Pubs have had their day. The less pubs there are the better IMO.

Everything in Ireland seems to revolve about drink. It's an obsession. The sooner we move away from it the better.

Syferus

I'd like to know the towns in Ireland with busy pubs midweek. I've lived in Dublin and even there there's a lot of dead spots.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
I'd like to know the towns in Ireland with busy pubs midweek. I've lived in Dublin and even there there's a lot of dead spots.

Nancys in Ardara is packed every night of the week!   :D

Syferus

Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 19, 2017, 06:48:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2017, 06:16:18 PM

Nancys in Ardara is packed every night of the week!   :D

Not every night, but a nice spot of a Saturday night alright.

T Fearon

I was genuinely surprised.I expected a hive of activity in mid August, yet the few pubs I went to were like libraries.Is it different in mid July, is the high euro having an impact?

Mickey Linden

Just back from Donegal myself. Honestly love the place. Have travelled a fair bit but anytime I go to Donegal i seem to really enjoy myself. Find it to be a beautiful place and somewhere where I feel at home and relaxed in whatever the weather. In relation to pubs being busy or not you just need to know where to go. U mentioned downings. Were u in the singing pub? Seems to do a roaring trade

manfromdelmonte

was up that way 5 years ago
was great to hear the local Irish being spoken in the pub in Downings

stew

Have a place in Buncrana, absolutely gorgeous area, the views are world class and there is a great wee golf course five minutes down the road you can play for 15 euro. My retirement is set. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Mickey Linden

Love buncrana and the innishowen  peninsula. Lovely out by clonmony and ballyliffin. Owning a house in Donegal is the lifetime dream.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Mickey Linden on August 19, 2017, 09:07:24 PM
Love buncrana and the innishowen  peninsula. Lovely out by clonmony and ballyliffin. Owning a house in Donegal is the lifetime dream.

;D dream bigger lad ffs

omochain

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on August 20, 2017, 12:45:10 AM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on August 19, 2017, 09:07:24 PM

;D dream bigger lad ffs

Not all dreams are of the oligarch dimension.
Some of us are happy with a stroll on Machaire Rabhartaigh.