All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 19, 2017, 05:47:04 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 19, 2017, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 19, 2017, 05:39:50 PM
I would have thought there'd be absolutely no debate at all that Joyce is/was the best inside forward to come out of Connacht in the past 25 years.

Me either

We can start a thread on it in the winter to kill the time. In the meantime, let's stick to Mayo v Kerry.

Any plans for the winter?

We could do with a few mods around here alright - are you available?

seafoid

Best of luck to Mayo against the dheras.  I would love to see Rochford go into the Kerry dressing room afterwards, commiserate and tell them that Mayo needed it more.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fuzzman

Yeah good luck Mayo the Mora. If they run at that defence at pace they have a chance. If they crab pass across the field they may go home.
It would give Tyrone great hope going into the other semi

Mayo Mick

Quote from: seafoid on August 19, 2017, 08:28:48 PM
Best of luck to Mayo against the dheras.  I would love to see Rochford go into the Kerry dressing room afterwards, commiserate and tell them that Mayo needed it more.

When Rochford goes into the Kerry dressing room tomorrow he should tell them they were unlucky, to stick at it and their day will come.

We will win this by 4 or 5 points once we play on the front foot.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Captain Scarlet

I know the media love to chat about him, but all the talk of Donaghy is way over the top. As good and as effective as he can be O'Donoghue and Geaney are class beside him.
I have a good feeling for Mayo based on nothing. It's just their sadism towards their own fans that would see them get to another final the hardest way possible, only to lose.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on August 19, 2017, 10:36:41 PM
I know the media love to chat about him, but all the talk of Donaghy is way over the top. As good and as effective as he can be O'Donoghue and Geaney are class beside him.
I have a good feeling for Mayo based on nothing. It's just their sadism towards their own fans that would see them get to another final the hardest way possible, only to lose.

All the chat is because Mayo have been woeful defending him. Geaney is a better player but if Donaghy catches a single ball inside the Mayo defence tomorrow it's probably game over.

clarshack

Spent all week in Westport and had a great time, so would be  quite happy for a Mayo win. A lot of the ones I spoke to weren't that confident about tomorrow though.  Honestly think Mayo have a decent chance as Kerry aren't that great.

stew

I would love to see Mayo win this, a Mayo Dublin final would ensure an open football game and that would be great for all of us neutrals.

I fancied Kerry from the get go and feel they have a big gam in them yet this year, Mayo might just get tanked, we will see soon enough.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rossfan

Best wishes to our Western neighbours tomorra.
Be great for the people of Co Mayo if ye do it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 19, 2017, 08:28:48 PM

Yeah, and he should go in bare-chested like Sir John in '96. Although in his case it would be more bare-bellied - so maybe not!

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on August 19, 2017, 11:18:44 PM
Best wishes to our Western neighbours tomorra.
Be great for the people of Co Mayo if ye do it.
Cheers Ross.
We've a bit of a chance tomorrow. It was a wet day as well when we beat the cute hoors in 96. The place was half empty.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2017, 03:13:39 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 19, 2017, 02:59:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 09:26:32 PM
I think in this sport we have a tendancy to reward longevity with unwarranted plaudits - Padraig Joyce was being lauded as the best forward Connacht had ever seen on his retirement, lest we forget.

Don't tell me. It's Frankie Dolan isn't it?

Wind your big neck the fĂșck in.

The point is its a very subjective accolade and despite Joyce never doing anything to separate himself from the many other great Connacht forwards he was lauded as the best when he retired, mainly off the back of his long career.

Don't want to get into this as it's a Mayo v Kerry thread but I don't see a big list of Connacht forwards that have scored 0-10 in one All-Ireland final and scored the vital goal in another All-Ireland final. I'm sure I'll be educated on the topic though as per usual. By a born inveterate spoofer and bullshitter.

I also don't understand why you feel the need to constantly take cheap digs at certain players. Grow the f**k up.

An Watcher

I see Billy has come out saying mayo have to go to war with Donaghy.  For once I actually agree with him.  When I think back to how tyrone dealt with the twin towers in 2008 and how Dublin deal with him then mayo have to come up with something as well.  They have had numerous chances to come up with a plan but with limited success.  Here's hoping we see something new from them today.

Il Bomber Destro

How do you fancy the Kerry defenders to take on the Mayo forwards?

Griffin on O'Connor?
Enright on Moran?

With Walsh out and Kerry's bench weakened by starting O'Brien, I could see Kerry drafting in another defender and playing Paul Murphy somewhere around the middle with a limited defensive responsibility, it's his best position as I don't think he's a great marker. I remember McBrearty coming in the 2014 AI final and taking two points off him in a matter of minutes prompting them to switch markers.

I think Mayo should target Diarmuid O'Connor on Crowley, I don't think he's been anywhere near his 2014 level since and I noticed in a few big games in recent years he has really been struggling with the pace of the game near the closing stages of big games. He's extremely cynical and if O'Connor runs at him he will draw fouls and cards if the referee is doing his job. Given that it's Deegan though, he will probably share a laugh and joke about it with the Kerry man before deciding against any action.

Mayo by 4.

highorlow

I thought we'd be out at this stage, based on the expected conditions a draw is likely but I think we can sneak it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go