Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Will Connolly start? Will the officials be nervous?

We'll beat the Dubs, with him or without him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2017, 10:14:30 PM

Either that or ye won't be able to keep the ball kicked out
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 10:17:09 PM

Those 15 years without a Championship win in Croke Park seem to have developed quite a large chip on your shoulder.

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 16, 2017, 08:34:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid link=topic=28088.msg1726993#msg1726993
Tyrone have done nothing yet. I never saw a county with so much advance publicity. All the believers. Jaysus

Back to back Ulster titles.... nothing.
Big swinging Mickey Harte
A provincial title doesn't mean anything in August.

They mean something when 5 of the last 12 teams left were from that province and you still won at a canter.

Jell 0 Biafra

Yep, they mean Ulster is as poor as every other province these days, and has at most one good team.

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 16, 2017, 11:39:22 PM
Tyrone have done nothing yet. I never saw a county with so much advance publicity. All the believers. Jaysus

They mean something when 5 of the last 12 teams left were from that province and you still won at a canter.

Even Galway absolutely hammered Donegal, the second best team in Ulster by a distance. Maybe don't trumpet your province when a soulless outfit like them can crush some of Ulster's finest within 10 minutes..

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2017, 11:34:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 10:17:09 PM

Those 15 years without a Championship win in Croke Park seem to have developed quite a large chip on your shoulder.
Don't they? We have an all Ireland final coming up in a few weeks.
Sweet suffering Jesus
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Redhand Santa

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 16, 2017, 10:42:48 AM
The usual nonsense is being put out on here and by Jim Gavin that Tyrone play a different games to the Dubs. They play attacking football whereas Tyrone focus on the defensive side of things. In reality both sides play a very similar brand of football. When not in possession they drop most players behind the ball (Dublin at times may leave an extra forward up than Tyrone) and when they win it back they attack in numbers. Tyrone have put more emphasis this year on getting scores when in possession whilst not compromising there defensive structure.

Another myth that always seems to come out when Tyrone go well is that its all based on the system and the players are inferior. Tyrone have developing a number of players this last few years who have become top footballers. If given the choice I would be  happy not switching Harte Donnelly Cavanagh McCann Sludden Hampsey McNamee for their opposite numbers on the Dublin team.

This is going to be a huge battle next week. I hope it doesn't become too defensive and with teams afraid to commit to the attack. I don't think it'll be overly high scoring but could still be a classic like Tyrone Armagh 2005. I believe we have been building towards this for a number of years and have every chance in the game. Too many counties are currently beaten before they take the field against the Dubs but I don't think we will be one of them. The Dubs are a quality proven outfit so it is going to take a mammoth effort to get over the line but we have as good a chance as anyone of beating them.

What exactly is your issue? Are you not allowed to say your team have a chance unless they have won the all Ireland in recent years?  Many people outside Tyrone wouldn't have given us a chance v Kerry in 2003. No one knows what will happen on Sunday week but I believe we have a good chance. I could be totally wrong of course but I don't believe we are that far away. We performed poorly and lost to a point to Mayo last year but as was proven they weren't too far away themselves. Dublin have struggled with Tyrone's style in multiple league games in recent years including a final.

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2017, 01:48:55 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 16, 2017, 11:39:22 PM

Even Galway absolutely hammered Donegal, the second best team in Ulster by a distance. Maybe don't trumpet your province when a soulless outfit like them can crush some of Ulster's finest within 10 minutes..

Sure Galway beat Mayo, who play in their god knows what semi final in a row this Sunday. Galway are no mugs.

RedHand88

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 17, 2017, 08:12:23 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 16, 2017, 10:42:48 AM
The usual nonsense is being put out on here and by Jim Gavin that Tyrone play a different games to the Dubs. They play attacking football whereas Tyrone focus on the defensive side of things. In reality both sides play a very similar brand of football. When not in possession they drop most players behind the ball (Dublin at times may leave an extra forward up than Tyrone) and when they win it back they attack in numbers. Tyrone have put more emphasis this year on getting scores when in possession whilst not compromising there defensive structure.

Another myth that always seems to come out when Tyrone go well is that its all based on the system and the players are inferior. Tyrone have developing a number of players this last few years who have become top footballers. If given the choice I would be  happy not switching Harte Donnelly Cavanagh McCann Sludden Hampsey McNamee for their opposite numbers on the Dublin team.

This is going to be a huge battle next week. I hope it doesn't become too defensive and with teams afraid to commit to the attack. I don't think it'll be overly high scoring but could still be a classic like Tyrone Armagh 2005. I believe we have been building towards this for a number of years and have every chance in the game. Too many counties are currently beaten before they take the field against the Dubs but I don't think we will be one of them. The Dubs are a quality proven outfit so it is going to take a mammoth effort to get over the line but we have as good a chance as anyone of beating them.

What exactly is your issue? Are you not allowed to say your team have a chance unless they have won the all Ireland in recent years?  Many people outside Tyrone wouldn't have given us a chance v Kerry in 2003. No one knows what will happen on Sunday week but I believe we have a good chance. I could be totally wrong of course but I don't believe we are that far away. We performed poorly and lost to a point to Mayo last year but as was proven they weren't too far away themselves. Dublin have struggled with Tyrone's style in multiple league games in recent years including a final.

Lets go full on Rafa and talk about fachts.
Numero uno: Tyrone drew with Dublin in the national league, in a game they were more than a match for Dublin and led by 6 points at one stage. And dont give me that "the league is different from the championship" rubbish....it isnt, the same teams that compete for the league compete for the championship later in the year.
Number two: Tyrone underperformed against Mayo, and lost by a point to a team who would lose by a point to the unassailable city slickers, after a replay, after conceding 2 own goals. The Tyrone Mayo league game this year was almost a carbon copy for last years quarter final, Mayo won by a point and were shut out by Tyrone for a large part of the second half.
Number three: Tyrone have improved incredibly since last year. Playing in division 1 as done them the world of good compared to last year where they had to play division 2 football through the spring. This is evidenced by the championship results this year, where they have scored an average of 23.75 points.

Could laugh at yous criticising Tyrone fans for having belief. When Paddy Joe McRoscommon talks his teams chances up everyone loves it, but god forbid those arrogant nordies should do the same!!

WT4E

trueblue1234

Quote from: WT4E on August 17, 2017, 11:05:24 AM
Why do people hate Tyrone so much?

Who cares. The hatred had died away there for a while, I'm glad to see it back. Means we're doing something right. Nothing worse than indifference.  ;)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 17, 2017, 11:10:16 AM

Who cares. The hatred had died away there for a while, I'm glad to see it back. Means we're doing something right. Nothing worse than indifference.  ;)

It's something I grew up with in the 90s. Having to drive through navan on the way home from croke park to see them burning a tyrone flag and jeering at us. Not nice for a 7/8 year old. Thankfully things are better from then but the resentment is still there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 17, 2017, 11:10:16 AM

I don't believe that. I think all fans want their team to be respected and admired. Of course winning and being hated is better than losing and being hated, but winning and being admired is the best.

For the record, I admire and respect Mickey Harte and Tyrone. I think some of the antipathy is a hangover from the in your face antics of several years ago.

trueblue1234

But there's people who wouldn't admit to admiring Tyrone even if they did AZ. So I don't let the abuse worry me. You don't know who's genuine in their "hate" (Hate's a strong word when discussing a sport!!)  and who's wumming or to an extent jealous that Tyrone's achieving more that their county. So just enjoy that we're being talked about!!  :)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit